Photo

NBA 2020-21 General Talk (Milwaukee Wins Championship!)

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:27 AM

Maybe there was conference pride for people that actually are fans of a team. You aren't an example of that as far as I know so this seems odd. I don't think there was significant conference pride among players either. So this basically seems like a this is how it's been so this is how it should continue type of deal.

I think plenty of people care more about their favorite player than they do about a conference, so for many, the current structure adds more meaning. Rooting for LeBron or Durant, or if there's not a big preference there, your other favorite players, is plenty meaningful for a game that at the end of the day is much more fun than serious.

The draft itself though is way more interesting than what existed prior and then the game is what it is.

They've tried something else. People seem to like it just fine. That's cool, NBA is a business and should do what the majority of their fans like. I'm just not one of them.

#162 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:30 AM

They've tried something else. People seem to like it just fine. That's cool, NBA is a business and should do what the majority of their fans like. I'm just not one of them.

Yes, because of conferences! Lol

#163 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:32 AM

Yes, because of conferences! Lol

Yes, that's correct.

I'm sorry my opinion doesn't match yours. What would you like me to say?

#164 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:45 AM

Yes, that's correct.

I'm sorry my opinion doesn't match yours. What would you like me to say?

I mean this ain't important, but in more important matters I wish people could do a better job of recognizing how much "this is how's it's always been" and "this is what I grew up with" plays into their thinking rather than working backwards to try to figure out how to explain one's thoughts. That's what conference pride and it used to be more meaningful screams out to me. If we grew up with Magic vs Larry and then MJ vs Magic, and MJ vs Charles/Hakeem/Shaq all-star games, and then recently switched to conferences, I'd bet you'd prefer the old way.

#165 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:01 AM

It must be me, MLB all-star is halfway decent

The rest of them, MEH

Basically, your stars are putting on an exhibition game.

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:41 AM

I mean this ain't important, but in more important matters I wish people could do a better job of recognizing how much "this is how's it's always been" and "this is what I grew up with" plays into their thinking rather than working backwards to try to figure out how to explain one's thoughts. That's what conference pride and it used to be more meaningful screams out to me. If we grew up with Magic vs Larry and then MJ vs Magic, and MJ vs Charles/Hakeem/Shaq all-star games, and then recently switched to conferences, I'd bet you'd prefer the old way.

Maybe if that was what we grew up with, I'd feel that... but we didn't.  And yes, I liked what we grew up with. 

Your opinion here seems to be, "I like the new format better, so everyone must agree with me."  

And yes, I know you've made the same point in numerous other types of discussions that we need to recognize that what we grew up with, grew accustomed to... isn't always right, and lots of time there is progress to be made. 

I get that larger point you are making.  And that's fine.  As I said, the NBA is a business and if more people prefer the current format (and apparently they do) then they should keep doing this.  I don't have to like it though, right?

#167 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

The Ringer: The Ringer’s NBA Midseason Power Rankings

#168 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

Maybe if that was what we grew up with, I'd feel that... but we didn't.  And yes, I liked what we grew up with. 

Your opinion here seems to be, "I like the new format better, so everyone must agree with me."  

And yes, I know you've made the same point in numerous other types of discussions that we need to recognize that what we grew up with, grew accustomed to... isn't always right, and lots of time there is progress to be made. 

I get that larger point you are making.  And that's fine.  As I said, the NBA is a business and if more people prefer the current format (and apparently they do) then they should keep doing this.  I don't have to like it though, right?

No, that's not my opinion at all. You can of course like what you like. However, as a teacher I like when my students can do a good job justifying their stances, and I don't think conferences in the NBA for a person without a team is a strong justification. Nor is how meaningful the game feels when last year's AS game felt more meaningful than just about any in recent memory (in part due to the Elam ending).

#169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

No, that's not my opinion at all. You can of course like what you like. However, as a teacher I like when my students can do a good job justifying their stances, and I don't think conferences in the NBA for a person without a team is a strong justification. Nor is how meaningful the game feels when last year's AS game felt more meaningful than just about any in recent memory (in part due to the Elam ending).

Yep, last year's game was great. No doubt. 

And I don't know how to further justify a feeling.   I liked one format better than another.  

And you are saying I feel that way simply because that's what we grew up on.. which is probably wholly accurate, but I still preferred that. 

Why? Because that's what it was I guess is part of it, and because I enjoyed rooting for the East against the West. 
I guess as you are asking me to dig deeper, I don't like the pickup game feel. It feels gimmicky to me. 

But things change, so.. whatever.  Again, I certainly recognize that the NBA should be doing what the majority wants.
That's listening to their fans. That's a good thing.

Did enjoy LeBron's starting 5, did enjoy watching Curry and Dame.  That was fun.

#170 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:37 PM

That's cool.

You were a big Jordan fan, right? If so, do you think you rooted more for the East due to him or because you lived in the East?

#171 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

Yep, last year's game was great. No doubt. 

And I don't know how to further justify a feeling.   I liked one format better than another.  

And you are saying I feel that way simply because that's what we grew up on.. which is probably wholly accurate, but I still preferred that. 

Why? Because that's what it was I guess is part of it, and because I enjoyed rooting for the East against the West. 
I guess as you are asking me to dig deeper, I don't like the pickup game feel. It feels gimmicky to me. 

But things change, so.. whatever.  Again, I certainly recognize that the NBA should be doing what the majority wants.
That's listening to their fans. That's a good thing.

Did enjoy LeBron's starting 5, did enjoy watching Curry and Dame.  That was fun.

The NBA long ago forgot what the dribbling and walking rules was, and its even worse at the ASG, thats a whistle that never gets blown,

#172 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:07 PM

Definitely a big Jordan fan. Rooted for the East because we're in the East (even if Baltimore doesn't have a team). Also because in later years the West was loaded and the East was not. Can be a sucker for the underdog.

#173 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

Didn't watch it, but it was good to see Beal's box score today. Good for him. 

#174 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

It was fun, as always. No more, no less, but always fun for me to see the guys having a good time. 

Seeing a certain segment of the population lose their s**t on twitter when they sang "Lift Every Voice and Sing" was fun too, but I know that's a topic for another time. 

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this
@beginthebegin71

#175 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

CBS Sports: Knicks' playoff push, NBA trade deadline, MVP race among 10 storylines to watch in second half of season
https://www.cbssport...half-of-season/

#176 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

CBS Sports: Five underrated rookies to keep an eye on during the second half of the NBA season
https://www.cbssport...the-nba-season/

CBS Sports: NBA trade deadline 2021: From Kyle Lowry to Kevin Love, 60 players who could be dealt this season
https://www.cbssport...lt-this-season/

#177 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

CBS Sports: Joel Embiid's left knee injury leaves top of Eastern Conference playoff picture, MVP race both wide open
https://www.cbssport...both-wide-open/

#178 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

CBS Sports: NBA Power Rankings: Nets take top spot from Jazz; 76ers rise despite Joel Embiid injury; Heat keep winning
https://www.cbssport...t-keep-winning/

#179 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:59 AM

ESPN: 2021 NBA trade deadline: League insiders say whether these teams should acquire, unload or stand pat

https://www.espn.com...nload-stand-pat

#180 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:53 AM

The RingerHow the Pick Protection Took Over the NBA Transaction Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=