Photo

NBA 2020-21 General Talk (Milwaukee Wins Championship!)

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

Best "big 3" ever? 

I mean every time someone is something is great, we got to talk about best ever, right?

But seriously, this is an insane amount of talent, and the basketball fit is actually good, unlike some other big 3's. Kyrie basically replaces Russ in that Thunder big 3, but of course Harden is much better now than he was then.

Personality and mindsets may be a much bigger issue here of course. Kyrie is Kyrie, so who knows on that. Then can Harden commit to a style of basketball different than the one he's been playing all these years in Houston, and will he step up his defense? How will they collectively share the ball? Will they put winning at the forefront?

If the answers to those questions are positive, then this team has a good chance at making EdReedMikeMussina happy.

The matchup with the Lakers, if it happens, would be very interesting. Obviously there's the LeBron vs Kyrie angle as well as LeBron vs arguably his biggest personal rival of the past 10 years (Durant). Does AD take the primary defensive responsibility of guarding KD? How do the Nets matchup with the Lakers size? And with the lights shining brightest, how does Harden hold up and do they collectively keep their egos in check enough to put winning the title above all else?

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

Best "big 3" ever?

I mean every time someone is something is great, we got to talk about best ever, right?

But seriously, this is an insane amount of talent, and the basketball fit is actually good, unlike some other big 3's. Kyrie basically replaces Russ in that Thunder big 3, but of course Harden is much better now than he was then.

Personality and mindsets may be a much bigger issue here of course. Kyrie is Kyrie, so who knows on that. Then can Harden commit to a style of basketball different than the one he's been playing all these years in Houston, and will he step up his defense? How will they collectively share the ball? Will they put winning at the forefront?

If the answers to those questions are positive, then this team has a good chance at making EdReedMikeMussina happy.

The matchup with the Lakers, if it happens, would be very interesting. Obviously there's the LeBron vs Kyrie angle as well as LeBron vs arguably his biggest personal rival of the past 10 years (Durant). Does AD take the primary defensive responsibility of guarding KD? How do the Nets matchup with the Lakers size? And with the lights shining brightest, how does Harden hold up and do they collectively keep their egos in check enough to put winning the title above all else?

IMO a lot of the answers to these questions are no. Is Brooklyn even favored to get out of the East?

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

Vegas now has Brooklyn as the East favorite.
I'm pretty meh on the fit. Mainly cause I thin Kyrie is a bad teammate and in a pure basketball sense it feels like he and Harden need the ball in their hands.

Enough talent to win a title, but I'd be surprised if it happened. I think more likely to implode.

#84 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

I also think an underrated aspect is the amount of tread already on the 32 yr old Durant and 31 yr old Harden.

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

Vegas now has Brooklyn as the East favorite.
I'm pretty meh on the fit. Mainly cause I thin Kyrie is a bad teammate and in a pure basketball sense it feels like he and Harden need the ball in their hands.

Enough talent to win a title, but I'd be surprised if it happened. I think more likely to implode.

The only one ball thing is an issue, but it's one that can largely be fixed if these guys can get past the mental aspects of that. In terms of pure basketball fit, this is pretty good, especially on offense. The main reason is because they're all at least very good shooters. 1 of them (Harden) is also a great passer and the other two are good passers, plus all can create for themselves and others at an extremely high level. 

This is closer to Durant/Steph/Klay in fit to LeBron/Wade/Bosh imo. The latter actually didn't fit that well offensively due to the lack of collective shooting. However, that Heat big 3 was definitely better defensively. 

Of course there's issues when comparing these guys to the Warriors. For one, Klay is arguably the ultimate example of a great offensive player that barely needs the ball; plus, he's a much better defender than Harden or Kyrie. Then the Warriors also had Defensive Player of the Year, Draymond Green. 

However, one thing in favor of the Nets is that while Harden needs the ball way more than Klay, the Nets do have a good player in the mold of Klay, which is Joe Harris.

Overall, it's hard to predict what happens given the personalities and track records involved, plus some injury concern, but if they buy in and are healthy, this is an amazing Big 3 with a great 4th piece in Harris. 

#86 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

Durant now on 3 of the greatest big 3's ever in terms of talent. Prior two were more of big 4's though with Ibaka and Draymond.

It's pretty crazy the talent he's been around, and he's one of the best ever at fitting in on basically any roster.

#87 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

I guess it's not 100% that Kyrie stays either.

#88 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

Kyrie and Harden carry drama wherever they go. Durant is a bit of a drama Queen too.

I can’t see this working out but stranger things have happened.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#89 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:11 PM

Meanwhile, the top of the East is legit good now with the Bucks, Nets, Sixers plus the defending East champs leading the way, and the C's and Pacers rounding out the top 6.

#90 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:43 PM

Meanwhile, the top of the East is legit good now with the Bucks, Nets, Sixers plus the defending East champs leading the way, and the C's and Pacers rounding out the top 6.

Don't forget the Wizards  :D

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:50 PM

You knew somehow Sam Presti and OKC would benefit from this trade. Their option to swap picks with Houston in this year's draft (using either their own pick or, more likely, using the Heat's pick they own) looks even more attractive now....as long as the Rockets aren't so bad their pick is Top 4.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:08 AM

CBS Sports: James Harden trade winners and losers: Nets offense could be unstoppable; Rockets start fresh with huge haul
https://www.cbssport...with-huge-haul/

#93 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:21 AM

The Nets offense could be unstoppable or they may need more basketballs on offense 

@mikeghg

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:28 AM

I think Houston did pretty well considering Harden backed them into a corner.

Oladipo, Levert and all the draft picks seems pretty good.

@mikeghg

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

I think Houston did pretty well considering Harden backed them into a corner.

Oladipo, Levert and all the draft picks seems pretty good.

Levert to Indiana for Oladipo. 

• Mike B likes this

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

CBS Sports: Bradley Beal, Karl-Anthony Towns among NBA stars most likely to be traded next after the James Harden deal

https://www.cbssport...es-harden-deal/

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

CBS Sports: NBA Rookie Power Rankings: Warriors' James Wiseman dunks on everyone; Tyrese Maxey steps up for depleted 76ers
https://www.cbssport...depleted-76ers/

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

The Ringer: The Three Different Paths of Three Top NBA Defenses

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:50 AM

CBS Sports: Lakers's Horton-Tucker, Rockets' Oladipo among upcoming free agents that might earn big paydays in offseason
https://www.cbssport...s-in-offseason/

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:37 PM

James big night as LA beat Milwaukee.

New Orleans at Utah...late 1st Qt. Played at a high level by both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=