Photo

NBA 2020-21 General Talk (Milwaukee Wins Championship!)

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:36 PM

I'll make some predictions in a little bit, but here's a couple of really good LeBron articles to commemorate King James on ring night:

What Makes LeBron James So Great | FiveThirtyEight

James has enjoyed a run of 15 consecutive seasons (and counting) in which he ranked among the league’s top five players, according to a combination ranking we cooked up based on MVP voting and our RAPTOR WAR metric.2 Just two other NBA players since 1977 — Hall of Fame guards Magic Johnson and John Stockton — have ever pieced together a run of 10 straight seasons or more as a top-five player, and neither had runs as long as LeBron.

LeBron James' savvy strategy to dominate at this age (espn.com)

This dude has racked up the miles

James will turn 36 before the end of the calendar year. His career right now is defined by both an incredible 17-season résumé and current championship expectations. And he enters this season as both the reigning Finals MVP and the league's oldest projected starter.

These three stats help show just how much volume James is carrying this season.

1. NBA games played: 1,525

Next week, James will lace them up once again and play in his 1,526th NBA game (including postseason). For context, Larry Bird played in 1,061 total games, Magic Johnson played in 1,096 and Michael Jordan played in 1,251. While those icons all faded away before they reached the 1,300-game mark, James is arguably still the most effective single player in the world as he approaches 1,600 games played.

2. Total minutes: 59,364

James has played more NBA basketball than every other active player by a truly staggering amount. Carmelo Anthony currently ranks second in total regular-season and postseason minutes played at 42,979. For Anthony to catch his buddy, James would need to stop playing and Anthony would need to play the full 48 minutes in more than 340 games.

3. Total points: 41,732

Again, Anthony is second here among active players. And again, it's not close.

For Anthony to catch James in regular-season and postseason scoring, he'd have to average 30 points for more than 448 games. James is just on another planet.

Both articles are well worth a read.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:20 PM

That's great stuff. Looking forward to another run for him this year. Tonight should be fun.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:40 PM

East:

Milwaukee
Philly
Brooklyn
Miami
Boston
Toronto

Play-in Tournament
Indiana
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago

Bucks over Heat
Sixers over Nets
Sixers over Bucks

West:

LAL
Portland
LAC
Denver
Utah
Houston

Phoenix
Dallas
New Orleans
Memphis

Lakers over Nuggets
Clippers over Portland
Lakers over Clippers

Lakers over Sixers

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:34 AM

Great game by PG13.

The Clippers beat the Lakers last year to open the season though and we see how that turned out.

Oh, and to go along with my championship prediction...

After this season, if I'm right and LeBron has another great year and leads the Lakers to a title, he'll be the GOAT imo.

The sheer longevity of excellence will put him over the top to me.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#45 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:39 AM

Great game by PG13.

The Clippers beat the Lakers last year to open the season though and we see how that turned out.

After this season, if I'm right and LeBron has another great year and leads the Lakers to a title, he'll be the GOAT imo.

Totally agree, if LeBron is great and wins the title at age 36, that seals it.  He'll have 1 less then MJ and the fact that he had to face tougher Finals competition (the GS Death Squads) and the pure longevity of excellence makes it too hard to argue (unless you are Steven A. Smith or BSL's former own bnickle.)

Btw, this has to kill MJ inside whether LeBron does it or not.  He is the ultimate (almost pyscho-like) competitor and he can't do anything to change the GOAT outcome.  He just has to watch the chips fall where they may.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:21 AM

Great game by PG13.

His legacy as one of the all-time best of the best is secure. Best of the era secure and measurable. Best of all-time becomes very subjective. There is literally nothing he could do to convince me he's better than Jordan.
  • Mike B and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:36 AM

East:

Milwaukee
Philly
Brooklyn
Miami
Boston
Toronto

Play-in Tournament
Indiana
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago

Bucks over Heat
Sixers over Nets
Sixers over Bucks

West:

LAL
Portland
LAC
Denver
Utah
Houston

Phoenix
Dallas
New Orleans
Memphis

Lakers over Nuggets
Clippers over Portland
Lakers over Clippers

Lakers over Sixers

I liked the additions of shooting to Philly, but not quite ready to pick them to win the East.

I'll go with Milwaukee to be the best in the East during the regular season, and then we will see if GA is ready for the postseason this time.

I think if Ainge gets Boston some in season help this year, they can win the East. As is regular season might be meh.

Kyrie is a great offensive player. I think he's a bad teammate and it shows up at some point.

In the West, Lakers won and got better. They are the logical pick.

Lot of watchable teams.

Think the Clippers (if you get the '19-20 version of George) is probably the only team that could stand up to James and Davis over 7 games.

But Denver, Portland, Utah, Dallas could all get to the WCFs and not be pushovers.

Does PorterJr take a leap? Can the Blazers, Jazz, Mavs add something of impact?

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:27 AM

His legacy as one of the all-time best of the best is secure. Best of the era secure and measurable. Best of all-time becomes very subjective. There is literally nothing he could do to convince me he's better than Jordan.

Yes, you're a MJ fanboy, we've been over this before. ;)
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

I liked the additions of shooting to Philly, but not quite ready to pick them to win the East.

I'll go with Milwaukee to be the best in the East during the regular season, and then we will see if GA is ready for the postseason this time.

I think if Ainge gets Boston some in season help this year, they can win the East. As is regular season might be meh.

Kyrie is a great offensive player. I think he's a bad teammate and it shows up at some point.

In the West, Lakers won and got better. They are the logical pick.

Lot of watchable teams.

Think the Clippers (if you get the '19-20 version of George) is probably the only team that could stand up to James and Davis over 7 games.

But Denver, Portland, Utah, Dallas could all get to the WCFs and not be pushovers.

Does PorterJr take a leap? Can the Blazers, Jazz, Mavs add something of impact?

Fair on Philly. I think any of the top 5 teams in the East can make it to the finals, so very little confidence in my pick there to be honest.

I generally agree with what you're saying about the West. Lots of really good teams, but I still think the LA teams are the clear best out west, with the Lakers being the safer pick.

And yes, I do anticipate a big year from Michael Porter, Jr.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:02 AM

Totally agree, if LeBron is great and wins the title at age 36, that seals it.  He'll have 1 less then MJ and the fact that he had to face tougher Finals competition (the GS Death Squads) and the pure longevity of excellence makes it too hard to argue (unless you are Steven A. Smith or BSL's former own bnickle.)

Btw, this has to kill MJ inside whether LeBron does it or not.  He is the ultimate (almost pyscho-like) competitor and he can't do anything to change the GOAT outcome.  He just has to watch the chips fall where they may.

To be clear, for me, he doesn't have to win anymore rings, but of course that would be great. What he has to do is continue to play at a very high level, especially in the playoffs, and then the chips will fall where they may. 

And yes, tougher Finals competition, and really just tougher competition overall, whether at the team level or at the top of the league on an individual level. The 90's were a down time for both in the NBA, especially the second half of the decade!

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:49 AM

I'm excited to watch Memphis and NO.
  • Mike B likes this

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

The titles are there for both players.  While both have been incredibly great players, I am with you, Jordan is the best of all time.

@mikeghg

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

The Ringer: The NBA’s Young Core Rankings

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:49 PM

CBS Sports: NBA 2020-21 awards predictions: Luka Doncic favored as MVP; experts divided on Rookie of the Year, other picks
https://www.cbssport...ar-other-picks/

#55 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

To be clear, for me, he doesn't have to win anymore rings, but of course that would be great. What he has to do is continue to play at a very high level, especially in the playoffs, and then the chips will fall where they may. 

And yes, tougher Finals competition, and really just tougher competition overall, whether at the team level or at the top of the league on an individual level. The 90's were a down time for both in the NBA, especially the second half of the decade!

First all, I may have overstated the everybody would agree part that LeBron will be GOAT if he gets another ring (Cstoner I apologize, you are a reasonable person and I didn't mean to offend you if I did).

That being said, I think it is a major boost that IMO puts him over the top.  That saves him from having to put up multiple excellent seasons in his late 30's to overcome MJ's higher peak.  But that's just my view, because I weigh titles more heavily than you.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:38 PM

First all, I may have overstated the everybody would agree part that LeBron will be GOAT if he gets another ring (Cstoner I apologize, you are a reasonable person and I didn't mean to offend you if I did).

That being said, I think it is a major boost that IMO puts him over the top.  That saves him from having to put up multiple excellent seasons in his late 30's to overcome MJ's higher peak.  But that's just my view, because I weigh titles more heavily than you.

No offense taken, and I'm good with anyone that prefers James. 

• B00E00N00 likes this

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:18 PM

The Ringer: Ranking the NBA’s Christmas Day Games

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

The Ringer: The Ringer’s NBA Christmas Day Recap

The Ringer: The NBA’s Young Core Rankings

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

It's only 2 games, but the Nets and Clippers look really good.

KD doesn't seem all that affected by the achilles tear and PG13 has been great so far. Plus Serge was a really good pickup for them (other than elbowing their best player in the mouth).
  • Mike B likes this

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:27 PM

It's only 2 games, but the Nets and Clippers look really good.

KD doesn't seem all that affected by the achilles tear and PG13 has been great so far. Plus Serge was a really good pickup for them (other than elbowing their best player in the mouth).

The pieces seem to fit for the Nets, plus they have 2 premier scorers.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=