#141 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:42 PM

If you're gonna lose in OT, best that it's fast.

Caps are in a bit of trouble. Defense was terrible tonight, and they need to find an answer in net.

#142 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:12 PM

If you're gonna lose in OT, best that it's fast.

Caps are in a bit of trouble. Defense was terrible tonight, and they need to find an answer in net.

They are so brutalized right now between injuries and stupidity (Kuzy/Samy). But at least the stupid two should be back in BOS. What they are going to do up the middle is a mystery right now.

They've got some big talent from Hershey sitting in the Taxi squad and waiting for someone to pull the trigger. Honestly I was expecting 0-2 after leaving home, so in a better spot than I thought they'd be. Gotta split here though. I feel like they've played really well on the road this year though, am I making that up?

@JeremyMStrain

#143 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

Caps are done.  They have no killer instinct.  It's no wonder they have so many OT playoff games because they play like they are just trying to extend the game.   When they get the puck they either wait until a poor angle to shoot or they just dump it off in the offensive zone hoping something good happens.  The Bruins, on the other hand, attack the net head on.  That is my impression anyway.

Samsonov played out of his mind last night.  It's a shame he made that boneheaded blunder in the end costing his team the game.  Ovechkin was pissed and apparently gave him an earful.  Someone should tell Ovi and the rest of the team the best way to protect a lead is to score more goals.  

#144 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

Caps are done.  They have no killer instinct.  It's no wonder they have so many OT playoff games because they play like they are just trying to extend the game.   When they get the puck they either wait until a poor angle to shoot or they just dump it off in the offensive zone hoping something good happens.  The Bruins, on the other hand, attack the net head on.  That is my impression anyway.

Samsonov played out of his mind last night.  It's a shame he made that boneheaded blunder in the end costing his team the game.  Ovechkin was pissed and apparently gave him an earful.  Someone should tell Ovi and the rest of the team the best way to protect a lead is to score more goals.  

I don't think they're done just yet, but yeah in OT there was no attack.  That they made it to a 2nd OT is a testament to the defense and Samsonov.

#145 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:22 AM

The Narrative: Low Fives, Burying the Lead and Third Pair, Don’t Care (msn.com)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#146 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:11 PM

No fight in this team. Ovi getting cheap shotted and no one is going to do anything about it? All I need to know.
@BSLMikeRandall

#147 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:22 PM

It took me one week to know Lavs was the absolute worst hire for this team. But way to waste a season guys. Good job.

#148 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:12 AM

I wonder sometimes how this team managed to win a cup. For years they have been night and day different teams in the regular season vs. the playoffs. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#149 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:00 AM

I wonder sometimes how this team managed to win a cup. For years they have been night and day different teams in the regular season vs. the playoffs.

14E4F2BF-C3E0-47AB-AA28-3B9CB6763960.jpe
  • DuffMan, Mike in STL and SouthRider like this

#150 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

Bye Caps. Double the amount of shots. Losing 3-1.
@BSLMikeRandall

#151 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:44 PM

What a brutal playoff exit.  At least it wasn't to the Pens.

#152 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:56 PM

Way to battle.

#153 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

Maybe they can fire their coach and trade away first round draft picks?   That will help, right?

#154 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

🙄 if anyone here thought a cup was happening this season you haven’t been watching closely enough.

My feelings on Lavi are all over this site, but as soon as Henrik went out, it was curtains. Two rookie goalies wasn’t going to win you a cup. Especially since they couldn’t pick one and waffled all season. Then dealing with Kuzy and Sammy and their immaturity and stupidity was just too much to overcome.

They need to make a couple moves this off-season but they are not going to be easy. Getting through the expansion draft is number one. Incorporating or trading some of the youth we have waiting before it withers on the vine is next. And dumping Kuzy for another legit 1C or 2C is the biggest prob. All that before you can consider your scheme and coach problem.
@JeremyMStrain

#155 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:41 AM

if anyone here thought a cup was happening this season you haven’t been watching closely enough.

My feelings on Lavi are all over this site, but as soon as Henrik went out, it was curtains. Two rookie goalies wasn’t going to win you a cup. Especially since they couldn’t pick one and waffled all season. Then dealing with Kuzy and Sammy and their immaturity and stupidity was just too much to overcome.

They need to make a couple moves this off-season but they are not going to be easy. Getting through the expansion draft is number one. Incorporating or trading some of the youth we have waiting before it withers on the vine is next. And dumping Kuzy for another legit 1C or 2C is the biggest prob. All that before you can consider your scheme and coach problem.

Wasn't expecting a cup. Was expecting more than one playoff game won. Pathetic, there's no way around it. Absolutely pathetic. And the kid G's have nothing to do with the offense being so inconsistent. I'd love to move on from Kuzy. I can't fathom Lavs winning a Cup with this team, so I think they should cut bait.

#156 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

Jer - who do you think we lose in the expansion draft? Which of the kid G's do you like most? 

I think Sammy has more upside but maturity issues, Vanecek was pretty solid but needs to be better.

#157 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

Wasn't expecting a cup. Was expecting more than one playoff game won. Pathetic, there's no way around it. Absolutely pathetic. And the kid G's have nothing to do with the offense being so inconsistent. I'd love to move on from Kuzy. I can't fathom Lavs winning a Cup with this team, so I think they should cut bait.

I really wasn't honestly. Maybe mid season for a little bit, but down the stretch with the SECOND Covid case and the injuries? No chance. They needed to be peak for even a chance to overcome that sloppy D system.

You're right, the offense was a joke even more than just in the playoffs. But when your offense starts to do that, you have to have a goalie that can step up to the challenge, and neither one of these kids was going to give you that with playoff pressure. Especially since one of them was an idiot that put himself in position to not even play.

I could see him dumb lucking his way into a win, lots of coaches do that really didn't do anything to deserve it besides being in the right place at the right time. BUT you've gotta be able to overcome the position he's putting you in with that system. Sure the numbers from the D look great when it comes time for arbitration or FA, but it's almost the soccer equivilent of playing with an offensive mid and a defensive mid, where in hockey you don't have mids so they better both be able to play D, and if you are going to turn them loose on offense, they better be fast enough to get back before the other team does (they aren't).

Jer - who do you think we lose in the expansion draft? Which of the kid G's do you like most? 

I think Sammy has more upside but maturity issues, Vanecek was pretty solid but needs to be better.

I've gone back and forth. To start the season I would have said Oshie. Caps (foolishly maybe) try to get out of the contract, perfect leader to start a team in Seattle. Then I figured it would be one of the two goalies cause we can't keep both and both showed signs of being a #1, but need to not be in a split. Now, I'd say there are odds it could be Kuzy, he still has legit 1C skills, he's young and under contract, and once he grows up he could be one of the better players in the league.

I like VV more cause I think Samy is a KNUCKLEHEAD. BUT, basically what you said. I'm still not sold he's a team carrying NHL goalie, but I think Samy will be more up and down like Varly was, and he will be more solid but unspectacular like Neuvy was. I don't see a Holtby in the wings though.

• You Play to Win the Game and Dupin like this
@JeremyMStrain

#158 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

Serves em right for letting Trotz walk.  

#159 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

🙄 if anyone here thought a cup was happening this season you haven’t been watching closely enough.

It’s the most wide open playoffs of the four major sports. Boston is a tough team, but I expected a better performance than that. It’s almost like other teams ramp it up in the playoffs and the Caps just coast.
@BSLMikeRandall

#160 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

So it’s Lavi’s fault for having rookie goalies?

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=