#102 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:03 PM

Haven't watched much lately with spring sports in full swing for my kiddos, but the Caps seem to be giving up a ton of goals again in the 3rd period.

#103 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

What do the more knowledgeable folks here think about the Mantha trade?
@DaKittenz

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

Huge upgrade but a very steep price. I choose to like that they're going for it while the window is still open.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#105 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

I don't know a whole lot about Mantha, but numbers wise he and Vrana look pretty similar. He's a big dude. The draft picks definitely tip the scales in this trade though, so I sure hope they get the production to push them over the top. Because this certainly looks like a win now move.

#106 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:33 PM

What do the more knowledgeable folks here think about the Mantha trade?

I’m still in wait and see mode a little but pretty optimistic.

He’s HUGE, 6’5 235, and a scoring winger. It’s like having a second, more offensive Tom Wilson.

They were going to have to let Vrana go as a RFA anyway, they just couldn’t afford to match what he was going to get, so at least they got something for him. He and Panik were not Lavi favorites at all so they would have been in and out of the lineup and this way they dumped Paniks contract and got something back for Vrana.

They made what I suspect was a very similar offer for Nick Foligno who went to TOR.

Time will tell but on a good team he could be a 30 goal scorer. That cap hit though, woof.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#107 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

The cap hit basically equaled Vrana and Panik's combined number. But this is year one of four. Still, if he does take that step forward with all this talent around him, there could end up being surplus value in that deal.

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

The cap hit basically equaled Vrana and Panik's combined number. But this is year one of four. Still, if he does take that step forward with all this talent around him, there could end up being surplus value in that deal.

Yeah it bet zeroed but I was expecting them to clear space if they made any moves I guess. Right now they can’t even bring Kempny back from IR. Then they’ve got potential problems this summer coming up plus the expansion draft and Alex’s new contract.

It’s not just them, there are a bunch of teams that need salary cap help, but I figured the moves like we made yesterday would be done to clear major chunks of salary cap space instead of just replacing it with another $5m player.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, I was truly shocked by the deal. Now I'm excited, but it is shocking. They need to peak in the playoffs and make a run. Big price. Still worried about the kid goalies, even more so with Henriq finally officially closing the door on playing this year.

#110 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, I was truly shocked by the deal. Now I'm excited, but it is shocking. They need to peak in the playoffs and make a run. Big price. Still worried about the kid goalies, even more so with Henriq finally officially closing the door on playing this year.

Yeah I mean looking at the roster it looks pretty complete. I like VV more than Sammy and kinda wish they’d figure out 1 and 2 vs 1A and 1b. But I’d fee more comfortable if he’d stop pushing so aggressively with the D and help them out a little more. I guess at this point we just gotta let them do or do not.
@JeremyMStrain

#111 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

Mantha was stellar in his debut tonight. Wow.

#112 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:04 AM

Mantha was stellar in his debut tonight. Wow.

Yeah I described him to my neighbor as Tom Wilson’s long lost twin that scores instead of hitting people. Good net presence for someone with such long arms. Could really be a game changer in our top 6. We have to have the best two top lines in the league right now.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#113 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

Hats off to one of the greatest Caps ever on his 1,000th game. Gotta love Backstrom.
  • DuffMan likes this

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

11 games left for @Capitals Let’s give Ovechkin 4 more goals. That’s 734 career. 161 to break Gretzky’s record. He’s 35..average 33 goals a year he break Wayne’s record in the spring of 2026 when he’s 40. Early 2025-26 season is most likely time. 41 goals a year and it’s 2024-25

#115 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

ESPN: NHL Playoff Watch Daily: Busy Saturday highlighted by Washington Capitals-New York Islanders

https://www.espn.com...-york-islanders

#116 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:19 AM

11 games left for @Capitals Let’s give Ovechkin 4 more goals. That’s 734 career. 161 to break Gretzky’s record. He’s 35..average 33 goals a year he break Wayne’s record in the spring of 2026 when he’s 40. Early 2025-26 season is most likely time. 41 goals a year and it’s 2024-25

I mentioned this before but it's worth repeating.  Missed his whole rookie season for a lockout, another 30 ish games for a partial lockout, a dozen last year from a covid shortened season, and another 20 or so this season.  It's not a stretch to say that he should be close to 800 by now, the fact that he's still got a good chance to get there (provided he stay's healthy) is even more amazing

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:47 AM

Washington Post: Alex Ovechkin, who has missed three games with a lower-body injury, returns to Capitals practice
https://www.washingt...ngton-capitals/

#118 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:40 PM

Hey Rangers, if you don't like Wilson's punishment, maybe don't have this guy....

g1IncB8.png

....fight this guy.

sSGqHy3.png

6'4" 220, threw down 5'11" 170 like a rag doll. You don't say. 

The statement they released is hilarious. Bunch of cry babies. 

100 penalty minutes combined in the first period tonight, including 3 fights at the opening face off.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:42 PM

Better story, T.J. Oshie with a hat trick in his first game back after his father passed away. 

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:16 PM

I guarantee that was a fake injury they were keeping Wilson out with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=