#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:19 PM

It’s April 1, 2021. Covid has somewhat subsided and the Red Sox are allowing 50% capacity at Fenway for the season opener against the Os.

In a perfect world, with your ideal FA signings and trades, what would your starting 9 be?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:26 PM

Hays CF
Santander RF
Mancini 1B
Mountcastle LF
Nunez DH
Ruiz 3B
Iglesias SS
Severino C
Alberto 2B

I don’t expect much different. Pick up Iggy’s option, maybe non-tender Nunez. Our improvements will come from call ups throughout the season.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

It’s April 1, 2021. Covid has somewhat subsided and the Red Sox are allowing 50% capacity at Fenway for the season opener against the Os.

In a perfect world, with your ideal FA signings and trades, what would your starting 9 be?

In 6 months it will only be somewhat subsided? 50% capacity?

Ok Mr. Negativity.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:58 AM

If we're going by ideal, then I'd have Rutschman at catcher - as that would likely mean he had a great Spring.  

And maybe I'm overrating him, but I'd also like to see Bannon at 2B.  

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

If we're going by ideal, then I'd have Rutschman at catcher - as that would likely mean he had a great Spring.  

And maybe I'm overrating him, but I'd also like to see Bannon at 2B.  

Yeah, don't see Rutschman making that jump.  His time at the Alternative Camp was good, but not the same as him having played 130+ games. I'm thinking he starts at AA. 

Know Alberto's average was hollow, but I'll be very surprised if he isn't the 2nd baseman to begin '21, if the Orioles haven't made some external addition. 

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:38 AM

I'd like to see the O's add LeMahieu. He's proven he wasn't a product of Coors Field. His low K% would be a welcome addition. He can be factor in small ball which Hyde has adopted a bit. He can also slug a bit too. The market is low for 2nd baseman. The Reds gave Moustakas $64M because they are dumb, and he hits 30+ bombs. LeMahieu shouldn't command near that but is actually a better asset to have. 

Another FA I'd target is Robbie Ray. He's still on the right side of 30. Has spin rates Elias and Co. look for. He's a boom or bust kinda guy that busted this year that makes him a buy low candidate. He strikes out guys a great clip, so perhaps he bounces back. If it doesn't work in the rotation, he could be a pen asset. He's got good velocity and I figure he could ramp it up even more if you ask him to only go balls out for two innings. 

Payroll is very low. They have room to grow it to supplement the roster with some of the young talent. Mountcastle, Mancini returning, Hays, if Stewart is closer to the guy we saw the last month versus the rest of his career so far. Kremer, Means in the rotation.

If Rutchman's defense will play (Scouts give it a 60 grade), call him up. That's what they did with Machado, right? The bat ended up playing too when it wasn't looking like it during his stint in AA where he batted .220. Severino has to be one the worst defensive catchers. If not, he blocks way too many balls in the dirt with his exposed body parts rather than the chest protector. 

Ideally...

CF - Hays

2B - LeMahieu

1B - Mancini

LF - Mountcastle

RF - Santander

DH - Nunez

C - Rutchman (Severino is realistic)

SS - Iggy

3B - Ruiz

Rotation

Cobb

Means

Kremer

Ray

Akin

• Pedro Cerrano, Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

I'd like to see the O's add LeMahieu. He's proven he wasn't a product of Coors Field. His low K% would be a welcome addition. He can be factor in small ball which Hyde has adopted a bit. He can also slug a bit too. The market is low for 2nd baseman. The Reds gave Moustakas $64M because they are dumb, and he hits 30+ bombs. LeMahieu shouldn't command near that but is actually a better asset to have. 

Another FA I'd target is Robbie Ray. He's still on the right side of 30. Has spin rates Elias and Co. look for. He's a boom or bust kinda guy that busted this year that makes him a buy low candidate. He strikes out guys a great clip, so perhaps he bounces back. If it doesn't work in the rotation, he could be a pen asset. He's got good velocity and I figure he could ramp it up even more if you ask him to only go balls out for two innings. 

Payroll is very low. They have room to grow it to supplement the roster with some of the young talent. Mountcastle, Mancini returning, Hays, if Stewart is closer to the guy we saw the last month versus the rest of his career so far. Kremer, Means in the rotation.

If Rutchman's defense will play (Scouts give it a 60 grade), call him up. That's what they did with Machado, right? The bat ended up playing too when it wasn't looking like it during his stint in AA where he batted .220. Severino has to be one the worst defensive catchers. If not, he blocks way too many balls in the dirt with his exposed body parts rather than the chest protector. 

Ideally...

CF - Hays

2B - LeMahieu

1B - Mancini

LF - Mountcastle

RF - Santander

DH - Nunez

SS - Iggy

3B - Ruiz

Rotation

Cobb

Means

Kremer

Ray

Akin

I like this...never going to happen with DJ, but I like it.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

Yes, and no. 

Manny had 832 MiLB at-bats.  including 402 at AA before being called up. 

Rutschman has 130 MiLB at-bats, no higher than Delmarva. 

Now Rutschman was a college bat, and he did get this summer at the advanced camp... but it's not 1x1. 

He's also never played close to a full Major League season. 

If '20 had been a normal year, I think he would have been up by late May '21. 
I don't think that is overly realistic now.   Would be fun though.

• Pedro Cerrano and Mike in STL like this

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

Mullins CF

Iggy SS

Santander RF

Mancini 1B

Mountcastle Dh

Hays LF

Ruiz 3b

Alberto 2B

Severino C

I am switching Trey and RM between 1B and DH.  

FA suggestion....bring Villar back for 2B and platoon Rio and Alberto at 3B

My lineup is to right handed but it is what we have

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#10 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

Ideally...

CF - Hays

2B - LeMahieu

1B - Mancini

LF - Mountcastle

RF - Santander

DH - Nunez

SS - Iggy

3B - Ruiz

Rotation

Cobb

Means

Kremer

Ray

Akin

Ray's walks were still a disaster but he was a much better pitcher in Toronto (Buffalo?) than in Arizona. I don't hate the idea. The Orioles will bring in one or two veterans and they need to be of higher quality than LeBlanc/Milone/Straily.

• BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

Ray's walks were still a disaster but he was a much better pitcher in Toronto (Buffalo?) than in Arizona. I don't hate the idea. The Orioles will bring in one or two veterans and they need to be of higher quality than LeBlanc/Milone/Straily.

Im not sure they will add a vet starter. At least not any contracts with guarunteed money.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:08 AM

These are the kind of moves I'm done with. Want to kick the tires with camp invites, that's fine. At some point they have to start wanting to win games and you don't do it when these are your headline signings.

• Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

These are the kind of moves I'm done with. Want to kick the tires with camp invites, that's fine. At some point they have to start wanting to win games and you don't do it when these are your headline signings.

Yea, I am kind of tired of hearing how the middle type free agents, are too rich for the Orioles.  They have been a bad team for 3.5 years now.  They need to start to move toward at least being a .500 team.  I don't expect them to go crazy, but they need to target guys above the LeBlanc, Milone etc. level.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#14 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, don't see Rutschman making that jump.  His time at the Alternative Camp was good, but not the same as him having played 130+ games. I'm thinking he starts at AA. 

Know Alberto's average was hollow, but I'll be very surprised if he isn't the 2nd baseman to begin '21, if the Orioles haven't made some external addition. 

The thread title is for the ideal lineup - Rutshman has to be in that.

And really, he's going to be 23.  A first pick in the draft (and arguably top prospect in baseball) should be in the majors by age 23.  

#15 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

Ideally Trey is back, but realistically, maybe/iffy.

I think its hard to hold prospects to the old school, that by age 23 they need to be in the majors, When there was no minor league season, this year.

I look for at least mid season for the minors, and then maybe a late summer call up.

• waroriole likes this

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

And really, he's going to be 23.  A first pick in the draft (and arguably top prospect in baseball) should be in the majors by age 23.  

Even if you ignore that he didn't play any games in 2020, the O's at a minimum will play the service time game with him, which would make him off limits for opening day.

• BobPhelan likes this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

He will not be in it until late in the year.  The age doesn't matter next year.  I want to see him get 300-400 AB's split between AA/AAA.

@mikeghg

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:44 PM

Night Moves V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users