#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:19 PM

BSL; https://baltimorespo...t-at-your-best/

Felt like the Ravens didn't bring their "A" game, and still walked away easy winners scoring 30+. 

Thoughts on todays game and an early thought about the KC game coming up in week 3.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, DuffMan and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

Nailed it Mike, especially the opening. We can win in different ways and still have room to improve. This could be really special.

Feeling unusually confident about the KC game. I think we have something to prove. Also very encouraged that coaches seem to be making adjustments through the game and finding what works.

I thought this was a very good game for Lamar. 75% completions right? Haven't rewatched but it looked like two of his sacks were at least partially on him. He avoided a ton of negative plays though. What a QB

Two other things that also encouraged me... Boykin ran a really nice slant route in traffic. I've been tough on him but props for making that play. It was legit and a great sign. Our LB play is truly improved from last year. Queen is different and we're gonna need him to be on the field for 3 downs with Tavon out again.

• Mike in STL likes this

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:46 AM

Lamar got hit too many times for my liking. A lot of that is on the line, but a bit of that was due to him not quite getting away from people. 

It's not concerning...yet...but I felt like it was a lot easier to avoid these things last year. 

#4 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

The OL seemed pretty leaky, especially early, and I thought 8 could have used a couple more seconds quite a few times. I think in the long run an OL comes more together as they play more games as a group, so over the season it doesn't concern me too much. Next week with KC could be an adventure, though, for Lamar. I'd bet he'll be up for the challenge.

I'm also thinking the defensive front will come more together over the season. We could still use  more pass rush. I'm loving Queen; that guy's all over. Humphrey and Peters are just plain intimidating back there. I love a defense that is into scoring.

• Mike B likes this

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Lamar got hit too many times for my liking. A lot of that is on the line, but a bit of that was due to him not quite getting away from people.

It's not concerning...yet...but I felt like it was a lot easier to avoid these things last year.

No way he's 100% IMO. Doesn't have the burst or elusiveness. He's thinking too much. I question the intelligence of having him carry 16 times yesterday when he just didn't seem healthy. I mean, maybe he is? But I highly doubt it. I have an uneasy feeling about it all to be honest.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

No way he's 100% IMO. Doesn't have the burst or elusiveness. He's thinking too much. I question the intelligence of having him carry 16 times yesterday when he just didn't seem healthy. I mean, maybe he is? But I highly doubt it. I have an uneasy feeling about it all to be honest.

I agree, but the defense is taking different angles which may be part of it.  I would like to have seen the Ravens run a few times more in the first half.  When they went to the run in the second half the Texans lost some of their steam.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

The OL seemed pretty leaky, especially early, and I thought 8 could have used a couple more seconds quite a few times. I think in the long run an OL comes more together as they play more games as a group, so over the season it doesn't concern me too much. Next week with KC could be an adventure, though, for Lamar. I'd bet he'll be up for the challenge.

I'm also thinking the defensive front will come more together over the season. We could still use  more pass rush. I'm loving Queen; that guy's all over. Humphrey and Peters are just plain intimidating back there. I love a defense that is into scoring.

IMO, the best is yet to come for this defense.

@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

I think it is important to remember that the Ravens like everyone else are still finding their way.  We all hate the pre-season games, but clearly they have a role in getting teams ready.  I also think the Ravens did not begin to hit their stride until game 5 last year.  This team is good, their coaching staff is top notch, I look forward to the adjustments.

• BSLChrisStoner and bmore_ken like this
@mikeghg

#9 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:18 PM

I was concerned when he wasn't at the helm on the Ingram direct snap TD. I mean it worked out but it made me feel like something was up.

However he did carry on the last fourth down so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Something just seems off.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

I was concerned when he wasn't at the helm on the Ingram direct snap TD. I mean it worked out but it made me feel like something was up.

However he did carry on the last fourth down so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Something just seems off.

The Ingram play was designed to confuse the Texans.  Lamar went wide, the Texans were surprised, Ingram hit the second level. Game over.

@mikeghg

#11 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

The Ingram play was designed to confuse the Texans.  Lamar went wide, the Texans were surprised, Ingram hit the second level. Game over.

Also Ricard killed a man. LOL

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

Also Ricard killed a man. LOL

Yes he did.  Sometimes when they send Ricard in behind Boyle on the edges. It almost seems unfair.

@mikeghg

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

Lamar scrambled 8 times on the day. 4 times he was sacked. Meaning of those 16 rush attempts, 12 of them were actual runs, and not broken pass plays. I don't have a problem if Lamar or the OC calls his number 12 times a game.

EDIT: Forgot a 3 kneel downs. So actually only 9 designed runs.

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

Lamar scrambled 8 times on the day. 4 times he was sacked. Meaning of those 16 rush attempts, 12 of them were actual runs, and not broken pass plays. I don't have a problem if Lamar or the OC calls his number 12 times a game.

EDIT: Forgot a 3 kneel downs. So actually only 9 designed runs.

If he's nursing a groin or "soft tissue" thing, then I do have a problem with it. If he's healthy, I don't at all. This team is SOL without a fully healthy LJ8 in January.

#15 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

This team has spoiled us. 17 point win on the road and it didn't feel like a great performance.  Biggest thing for me was seeing the run game get going a bit more than week 1.

• BSLChrisStoner and Dupin like this

#16 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

I said this in the game thread, but this game also felt really peculiar from the start. Three and outs in a row for the first 3.

The really long drives in the 3rd quarter. No real splash plays until the Ingram TD from Baltimore. I plan to watch the game again today to see if that was more how Texans were defending Baltimore and the Ravens just took it. 

I had re-watched the KC game with Hou, and honestly it was a lot of the same. Houston lets the other team sustain drives if they have a good offense. And looks for that deep shot play and if it's not there the offense kind of sputters out a bit. 

• analog wigwam likes this

#17 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

Am I the only one worried about Tavon Young's injury?  Averett did not look good at all and Watson was straight picking on him whenever he was on the field.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

Am I the only one worried about Tavon Young's injury? Averett did not look good at all and Watson was straight picking on him whenever he was on the field.

Nah, not the only one. Have depth to get past it, but Young is a real talent...and now you're hoping the depth doesn't have any further losses.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:32 PM

Am I the only one worried about Tavon Young's injury?  Averett did not look good at all and Watson was straight picking on him whenever he was on the field.

I think they make adjustments but AA is basically the 4th or  5th CB so sure he is going to get picked on.  Maybe they use him a little different.

Sadly we have had to deal with Tavon’s injuries before.  They will again.

@mikeghg

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

Ravens -3.5 vs. KC. Seems generous considering most power rankings have KC #1 and the Ravens anywhere from #2-#6.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=