#81 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

It sounds like Ray was for the signing, until the GF got involved.

https://profootballt...gned-by-ravens/

There are multiple articles with nearly identical information on it.

Dude. You are posting the article that is noting Ray's quote. Again, not corroboration. He said it on TV, and people are posting articles quoting what he said. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. Ray could be telling the truth. I'm just saying that it hasn't been confirmed that what Ray said, actually happened. 

#82 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

Do all of these articles use Ray Lewis as their sole source?

Yes

#83 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

I seen Ray quoted in another article that Kaep had told Lewis he was done with kneeing and wanted to play ball.

Then the GF tweets that the next day, and the rest is history.

That's been said a lot, by several people, and apparently that wasn't true either.

https://www.theguard...nfl-quarterback

However, Ray did say he spoke to Kap to do his activism in silence. Not sure how that went, if it happened, but I can guess how it would go.

#84 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

Dude. You are posting the article that is noting Ray's quote. Again, not corroboration. He said it on TV, and people are posting articles quoting what he said. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. Ray could be telling the truth. I'm just saying that it hasn't been confirmed that what Ray said, actually happened. 

Looks like a quote to me:

Lewis said. “We were going to close the deal to sign him. . . . Steve Bisciotti said, ‘I want to hear Colin Kaeperkick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.’ . . . And it never happens because that picture comes up the next day.”

Lewis made it clear that, absent that image posted by Kaepernick’s girlfriend, Kaepernick would have been a Ravens.

“Then he’s flying him to Baltimore,” Lewis said.

#85 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

Lewis said. “We were going to close the deal to sign him. . . . Steve Bisciotti said, ‘I want to hear Colin Kaeperkick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.’ . . . And it never happens because that picture comes up the next day.”

Lewis made it clear that, absent that image posted by Kaepernick’s girlfriend, Kaepernick would have been a Ravens.

That's literally what I'm saying. All of the articles are using Ray's words, and nothing else. All of the articles are taking the same quote and forming opinions after that. By corroboration, is someone else saying, "Yeah, that's what happened"? Ozzie? Steve? Harbs? Cass? That's all I'm saying here.

Whether I believe Ray or not, I think that's a fair thing to ask.

• Old Man likes this

#86 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:16 PM

BTW, re: Lewis, while ultimately not relevant, I forgot how vehemently opposed to Kap's protest Ray was. I forgot that he calling part of his activism "nonsense."

https://www.sporting...uw104y3sreinfuv

#87 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

That's literally what I'm saying. All of the articles are using Ray's words, and nothing else. All of the articles are taking the same quote and forming opinions after that. By corroboration, is someone else saying, "Yeah, that's what happened"? Ozzie? Steve? Harbs? Cass? That's all I'm saying here.

Whether I believe Ray or not, I think that's a fair thing to ask.

Good point, and sorry that I wasnt getting it.

I see it now.

• The Epic likes this

#88 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:36 PM

A quote as relayed by Ray Lewis.  The author didn't witness the conversation.

#89 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- No officers charged directly in Breonna Taylor's death; 1 faces 3 counts over shooting into neighboring apartments.

https://twitter.com/...822336808906753

she/her

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- No officers charged directly in Breonna Taylor's death; 1 faces 3 counts over shooting into neighboring apartments.

Not surprising unfortunately.

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

Regarding Colby Covington and the UFC

https://www.sporting...j719hrrn3bd6w5t
  • BobPhelan likes this

#92 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:34 PM

There's been little reason to be optimistic when it comes to race relations. 

After today, I don't think there's any reason.

#93 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:28 PM

There's been little reason to be optimistic when it comes to race relations.

After today, I don't think there's any reason.

Sorry man. It's so depressing and disgusting that what you say is logical.

This is seemingly an undeveloped talking point in regards to how difficult it is to be black in America. It has to be arduous and deflating to live in a country in which you have no faith in it in general, no faith in it loving you as Doc Rivers said, or no faith in it even applying it's stated ideals to you.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#94 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:16 PM

I'm not a legal expert. Can they force the jury to explain themselves? Seriously. The rationale makes no sense. The officer that didn't shoot Taylor takes the fall cause some of his bullets go through a wall where another family lives. But the two that killed her, walk? How many people of color were on the jury? To get a murder charge to stick do you have to have an unanimous vote among the jury? If one juror says it was self defense, does murder get dropped if that was the charge, and they walk away? Are state, or district attorneys charging too high up the scale due to public pressure? If they would have asked for manslaughter, would there have been riots because they didn't ask for murder? But then these cops do end up behind bars because those charges stick?

Ask for murder - riots subside. Murder gets dropped - riots ensue

Ask for manslaughter - riots ensue. Manslaughter sticks - riots subside justice (kinda) is served.

Our legal system sucks. This ruling is completely ass backwards, IMO. It's led to fight fire with fire. Two Louisville officers shot today in response to the ridiculous ruling. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

I've got another legal question...

I'm completely convinced that the Louisville Police Department is responsible for Breonna Taylor's death.  That seems indisputable to me.  I'm not certain that the officers on the scene committed murder (or manslaughter).  

It sounds fishy to me that they are saying they had a no-knock warrant but the officers knocked anyways.  I don't think I buy that but I haven't seen the evidence.  But in either case, they either had a no-knock warrant and didn't knock before busting in the door or they had a search warrant and did announce and knock before busting in the door.  Both of those moves seem legal to my untrained legal mind.  Big question is who shot first, but in either case again, I think the man in the home had the right to shoot as armed intruders had just busted in the door.  That's undoubtedly true if it was a no-knock warrant and there is no way for him to identify the intruders as police, maybe somewhat questionable if they announce they are police.  If the police shot first, then of course the man has the right to return fire when he doesn't know it's the police.  But the police, once they are fired upon, whether those shots are legal or not, I have a hard time expecting them to not return fire.  

If they didn't announce, busted the door, and shot first then it's definitely murder by whoever shot her (how do they determine that, or are all officers culpable?".  If the did announce, busted down the door, were shot at first, then returned fire...I'm less sure that any officers on the scene were negligent.

So I guess the topics I want to discuss and know more about are what is the law?  What do we think the law should be?  And what can be done to hold the authorities who authorized the warrant responsible (as I think they clearly are culpable in the death whether the officers on scene acted within their rights or if they were outside their authority)?

#96 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

I've got another legal question...

So I guess the topics I want to discuss and know more about are what is the law?  What do we think the law should be?  And what can be done to hold the authorities who authorized the warrant responsible (as I think they clearly are culpable in the death whether the officers on scene acted within their rights or if they were outside their authority)?

I do not have a problem with no knock warrants, but I think there should be well written procedures and training in place, along with serious guidelines about how it should be used.

At no time, do I think plainclothes should be executing this time of warrant. Uniform officials and probably even SWAT team type of squad.

In order to provide evidence to protect both the officers and residents, multiple bodycams should be worn and activated This will help at times with there is a diff in story from the officer's report and the residents statements.

I think its critical, that you do due diligence to make sure the address you are given is correct, and more due diligence at the scene, that you have the correct address, once you have arrived.

#97 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

I guess with a no-knock you just kick the door in. I think those should be banned. If you think it's a crack house, and you announce yourself and wait three seconds before kicking it in, the criminals can't hide their operation in three seconds. Plus with a warrant you can turn the house upside down to find what you're looking for anyway.

If by knocking it gives the criminals a chance to arm themselves, then the guys with helmets and riot gear need to be first through the door. If you think by knocking they have time to escape out the back, you need to have officers covering all exits, which I feel like they do anyway. 

Just like I how I feel that trained officers should be able to wrestle a resisting subject to the ground before they make it 15-20 feet to a car door, then have to shoot him if a weapon presents itself, I feel like trained officers should be able to announce their presence, and still mitigate whatever is behind that door, even if it means giving criminals a three seconds notice. 

Judges I think issue warrants. Police bring evidence that they need to search a place to a judge, and if the evidence suffices they give it to them. I guess in this case the police had pictures of a guy that was Taylor's ex-boyfriend coming and going from her place, and GPS tracking of his phone connecting him to other drug houses. So I guess they thought Taylor's was another drug house. My guess is you should just have more evidence than that. Maybe he feeds his ex-girlfriends dog while she's on a 24-hour EMT shift because he still likes her or something. You should probably have some concrete evidence before you go turn a place inside out, and run the risk of killing someone. 

But...who judges the judges though? We saw that Amy Klobuchar let the officer that killed George Floyd get away with double digit instances of abuse of power while she was a states attorney, or DA up there. Who takes her to court? Who presses charges on her for, I don't even know what. Dereliction of duty maybe? Are judges derelict of duty when they issue a warrant with insufficient evidence? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#98 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

I guess with a no-knock you just kick the door in. I think those should be banned. If you think it's a crack house, and you announce yourself and wait three seconds before kicking it in, the criminals can't hide their operation in three seconds. Plus with a warrant you can turn the house upside down to find what you're looking for anyway.

If by knocking it gives the criminals a chance to arm themselves, then the guys with helmets and riot gear need to be first through the door. If you think by knocking they have time to escape out the back, you need to have officers covering all exits, which I feel like they do anyway. 

Just like I how I feel that trained officers should be able to wrestle a resisting subject to the ground before they make it 15-20 feet to a car door, then have to shoot him if a weapon presents itself, I feel like trained officers should be able to announce their presence, and still mitigate whatever is behind that door, even if it means giving criminals a three seconds notice. 

Judges I think issue warrants. Police bring evidence that they need to search a place to a judge, and if the evidence suffices they give it to them. I guess in this case the police had pictures of a guy that was Taylor's ex-boyfriend coming and going from her place, and GPS tracking of his phone connecting him to other drug houses. So I guess they thought Taylor's was another drug house. My guess is you should just have more evidence than that. Maybe he feeds his ex-girlfriends dog while she's on a 24-hour EMT shift because he still likes her or something. You should probably have some concrete evidence before you go turn a place inside out, and run the risk of killing someone. 

But...who judges the judges though? We saw that Amy Klobuchar let the officer that killed George Floyd get away with double digit instances of abuse of power while she was a states attorney, or DA up there. Who takes her to court? Who presses charges on her for, I don't even know what. Dereliction of duty maybe? Are judges derelict of duty when they issue a warrant with insufficient evidence? 

I did read online that the police claimed that address was used by her Ex as his current address, and allegedly was seen by narcs going into that location.

There was a total of 5 locations on that search warrant.

I said earlier, I dont think narcs should have been involved with knocking the door down. Watching real SWAT shows, usually once SWAT enters and secures the location, then the detectives are allowed into the scene to search.

Since there is a new BF, I doubt the ex is there to feed the dog.

Terrible and horrific ordeal, that is for sure.

#99 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

I did read online that the police claimed that address was used by her Ex as his current address, and allegedly was seen by narcs going into that location.

There was a total of 5 locations on that search warrant.

I said earlier, I dont think narcs should have been involved with knocking the door down. Watching real SWAT shows, usually once SWAT enters and secures the location, then the detectives are allowed into the scene to search.

Since there is a new BF, I doubt the ex is there to feed the dog.

Terrible and horrific ordeal, that is for sure.

Yeah, I mean I talked to a couple friends that are officers a while back, and they said no-knocks should be used sparingly, and probably just by the special squads (SWAT etc). There's just too much room for error...but there is SOME room that they need to exist. They wanted NOTHING to do with them.

To the earlier point, in 3 minutes they can't break down their operation, but if they are clever and plan ahead they could get rid of enough important info that people would go free (computers rigged to be wiped, torch stuff, premade disposal for drugs), and the more pressing issue is every minute you give them is another minute they can set up to defend and take lives. You don't want them to entrench, and give them 3 minutes of grabbing guns, switching out for armor piercing rounds, setting traps etc.

Honestly how often is a place like that raided real time though? Whatever the hypothetical case/reasonings, this one was botched.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#100 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, I mean I talked to a couple friends that are officers a while back, and they said no-knocks should be used sparingly, and probably just by the special squads (SWAT etc). There's just too much room for error...but there is SOME room that they need to exist. They wanted NOTHING to do with them.

To the earlier point, in 3 minutes they can't break down their operation, but if they are clever and plan ahead they could get rid of enough important info that people would go free (computers rigged to be wiped, torch stuff, premade disposal for drugs), and the more pressing issue is every minute you give them is another minute they can set up to defend and take lives. You don't want them to entrench, and give them 3 minutes of grabbing guns, switching out for armor piercing rounds, setting traps etc.

Honestly how often is a place like that raided real time though? Whatever the hypothetical case/reasonings, this one was botched.

I totally agree, sparingly and by the proper squads.

1230 isnt a great time either, usually 4-5am, is a better time, you want to catch them asleep, it give you the brief advantage.

In this case, they only had the battering ram. I believe these days, SWAT had very minor charges, that can blow open the door lock, and a couple of flash bangs, which are not lethal, but effective way to stun them, so you can secure the area.

• JeremyStrain likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=