• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:53 AM

ESPN: With Ravens up next, Texans must quickly figure out what went wrong
https://www.espn.com...what-went-wrong

BSL: Previewing Week 2: Ravens at Texans

BSL: Analyzing the Ravens Week 1 Defense Against Cleveland

BSL: The importance of Devin Duvernay

The Bank: Episode 21  (Previewing Baltimore at Houston)

https://anchor.fm/th...-Houston-ejseef

#2 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

ESPN: With Ravens up next, Texans must quickly figure out what went wrong
https://www.espn.com...what-went-wrong

Geez, I feel bad for the Texans. Facing these two offenses two weeks in a row. It's gotta be all downhill from there.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

Geez, I feel bad for the Texans. Facing these two offenses two weeks in a row. It's gotta be all downhill from there.

Yeah, not easy.  Still trying to work out how they're going to operate. 

Still have some weapons.  Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, Stills...  David Johnson. 
Watson obviously. 

Would think they'll make the playoffs, and with Watson always a threat. 

With this game... since they played Thursday night, did have a couple of extra days to prepare for the Ravens. 

• The Epic likes this

#4 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, not easy.  Still trying to work out how they're going to operate. 

Still have some weapons.  Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, Stills...  David Johnson. 
Watson obviously. 

Would think they'll make the playoffs, and with Watson always a threat. 

With this game... since they played Thursday night, did have a couple of extra days to prepare for the Ravens. 

Agreed. I think they'll run through the division. I think it just sucks that they have a team that they still have to feel out (without Hopkins), while facing the two toughest teams on their schedule which are both fully cooked. 

I really wish that this was a Week 9 matchup. It'd be so much more fun to watch. I'm not saying that the Ravens will kill them, but I think they need a little time to gel.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

I'm never going to feel good about playing the Texans when Watson is under center.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:19 PM

I expet our defense to be better.   This is the time of the week, where I am confident.  I will get nervous as the week progresses, but this is a really good team.  The Texans have Watson, we have Lamar, the Ravens win.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this
@mikeghg

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:29 PM

Honestly not impressed with Houston last Thursday.  I think there is a better chance they finish third in the South than first.  Their defense doesn't look very good and their head coach is terrible.  Unless Watson can play pitch and catch with his receivers and put up a monster day, I doubt they can keep up with the Ravens offense.  

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

I'm never going to feel good about playing the Texans when Watson is under center.

Did you watch the game last year.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:35 PM

Honestly not impressed with Houston last Thursday. I think there is a better chance they finish third in the South than first. Their defense doesn't look very good and their head coach is terrible. Unless Watson can play pitch and catch with his receivers and put up a monster day, I doubt they can keep up with the Ravens offense.

I said awhile back I wasn't impressed with Houston.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:38 PM

I said awhile back I wasn't impressed with Houston.

Yeah, I don't get the fear over Houston. We hear this every year. They're good enough 1 or 2 games a season to beat anyone, but that isn't who they actually are. And that's been consistent for them.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, I don't get the fear over Houston. We hear this every year. They're good enough 1 or 2 games a season to beat anyone, but that isn't who they actually are. And that's been consistent for them.

They lost their best player too. Yeah, I said it, Hopkins is better than Watson.

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:59 PM

Did you watch the game last year.

Sure.

Every game is different and Watson is a top 5 NFL qb. Therefore they're dangerous. Even more so with KC looming and the risk they might overlook their opponent next week.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:27 AM

Sure.

Every game is different and Watson is a top 5 NFL qb. Therefore they're dangerous. Even more so with KC looming and the risk they might overlook their opponent next week.

Watson can be good. He can also look lost and be kinda bad.

Not being snarky here. Instead of having the same conversation every week I think I'll again note that we could lose any given Sunday but for now other than KC there isn't a team that scares me. Not enough to say we need to play our A game to compete or win.

#14 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

Duke Johnson being out this game is big blow for the Texans, as that type of back tends to be a difficult match up at times, they can design off the edge runs or get him in space to make a few dents in the armor.  David Johnson likes to dance and hit the hole, not quite as deliberate as Bell was in Pittsburgh, but its noticeable.  He does not like to go between the tackles and is always looking to bounce it out off tackle.  It means maintain lane discipline and Johnson does not really pose a threat.  Wink knows how to prepare for Johnson and his preferred style with stifling numbers against him his entire career.  Also note, Johnson has a paltry YPA & YAC against AFC North clubs known for rugged run defense.

Cooks is 80% and running on a spare tire.  His quad is torn in the muscle and he just can't push off or hit another gear without pain and stiffness.  I don't see him as a factor in the passing game, as he is mainly isolated as a deep threat at this point of his career.

Fuller is a good match up for Humphrey and Peters, but at 35% target share rate this might be a one trick pony offense that Watson better move off from if he has any shot at beating playoff caliber teams and the air yards rate means that he is the main target in the five and seven step drop backs. It's not like Hopkins taking that share rate and then you have to factor with Fuller and Stills.  When you take away the king, the pulpier can't step up to be king and change the landscape; it's a glaring hole that will take the Texans offense weeks, or months to fully understand how to gameplan properly...time that would have been best served with a full offseason and pre-season games...which they didn't get and will hurt them early in the season.

I would go heavy blitz and force the David Johnson to pick up the blitz, tire him out as early as possible because they don't have a viable option to back into Duke Johnson reps.  It also clogs the lanes and forces Watson to throw off his back foot, which he typically does a handful of times a game. 

• Huddle It Up Films likes this
@Olsen_Don

#15 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

I'm not sure Houston has the horses to compete for 60 mins with the Ravens. Fuller can certainly hurt you. And Johnson in the open field can hurt you. However neither are guys you have to gameplan against. To me, they have an offense that I honestlu expect to finish in the low 20's at best. They don't really have any identity. And they let a very mediocre secondary on KC shut them down for 3 1/2 quarters.

Their front 7 on defense is their only unit that is playoff caliber as far as I'm concerned. Their secondary is very weak though. I'd expect another great passing day from Lamar. They may stagger our run game again. But I don't see anyone on their defense who can consistently stop Hollywood or Andrews.

I really don't expect this game to be close at all again this year.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

Battle Red Blog: Bill O’Brien Presser Recap: On Texans, Chiefs, Ravens, More
https://www.battlere...efs-ravens-more

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

Houston Chronicle: Podcast: Breaking down Texans vs. Ravens
https://www.houstonc...ns-15570597.php

#18 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

Me and Gabe will be breaking down this game on The Bank tomorrow night. Anything folks want us to take a deeper look at?

I'll be taking a closer look at the Houston O vs the Ravens D and Gabe will be looking at the Houston D vs the Ravens O. 

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

Feel like an early season let down always happens to this team. Maybe not this week. But maybe they give us a scare. 30-27 Ravens.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Feel like an early season let down always happens to this team. Maybe not this week. But maybe they give us a scare. 30-27 Ravens.

If they do, I feel it will be on the defense. I just don't look at Houstons defense and think they can consistently stop the Ravens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=