47 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:20 AM

I was really glad to see Hollywood get off to a good start, the main (only?) positive from the Titans loss was how good he looked

All speed aside, what I really like about Hollywood is he has great hands.  He rarely drops any balls, even in traffic. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:05 AM

Balt SunFive Things We Learned from the Ravens’ 38-6 win over the Cleveland Browns

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

Balt Ravens.com: The Breakdown: Eisenberg's Five Thoughts on Season-Opening Win

https://www.baltimor...son-opening-win

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

It blows my mind how he could be so dead accurate in college all over the field. And in the NFL he can't hit an open WR with 6 seconds to throw the ball.

Edit: I also love that 2018 will forever be the draft that Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen were the ones taken before Lamar, and Lamar was considered the risky pick.

I recently read my notes from that draft. Remember saying that I liked Allen the most. Reminded me of Aaron Rodgers. Lamar could be a great QB in the right situation (Ravens checked that box). Thought Darnold and Rosen were average at best, and Mayfield would be a bust.

Not exactly right as Allen has a little work to do to get to the Pro Bowl level I thought he'd be. Rosen is out of the league I think making him the bust of the group, though Mayfield is heading trending that direction. Jury still out an Darnold, maybe, as he did finish 2019 pretty strong. But I don't think I'd call him average. Call it a cop out that I didn't really take a side on Lamar, though during Flacco's struggles I argued that Jackson gave them the best chance to win. A couple weeks later Flacco got hurt, and the rest is history. 

It's crazy how things can go. The 2012 draft with Luck and RG3 was supposed to be the two most sure thing QBs to come out of the draft ever. One is retired, but never got to elite status like he was hyped, and the other has been a backup or out of the league for what, the last seven years now?

• JordanKough likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

Perhaps part of the reason Mayfield was hot in college is that two of his main receivers were Mark Andrews and Marquis Brown.

• Mike in STL likes this

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Perhaps part of the reason Mayfield was hot in college is that two of his main receivers were Mark Andrews and Marquis Brown.

Also zero defense in that conference. When I watched his tape he was never challenged. Quick passes to open receivers. Sometimes fooled facing zone coverage. Thinks the window is open, then he gets picked. Those windows only close quicker in the pros.

@BSLMikeRandall

#27 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:13 PM

Also zero defense in that conference. When I watched his tape he was never challenged. Quick passes to open receivers. Sometimes fooled facing zone coverage. Thinks the window is open, then he gets picked. Those windows only close quicker in the pros.

Yeah I think being the QB at Oklahoma is probably one of the easiest jobs for a player in CFB, they'll be the most talented team in every conference game and have pretty fantastic coaching

she/her

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

Just a reminder that Lamar is 21-3 as a starter in the NFL to start his career. Who wins 21 of 24 at any point. Let alone to start a career.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:15 PM

Just a reminder that Lamar is 21-3 as a starter in the NFL to start his career. Who wins 21 of 24 at any point. Let alone to start a career.

Oh and 2 of those 3 losses came at the hands of Pat Maholmes in KC.

#30 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:40 AM

He's just doing what some people thought he could do. Quarterbacks who can run get stereotyped as bad passers but Lamar could read defenses and throw guys open even at Louisville. We're just watching a guy with great instincts and feel for the game refine his craft. The sky's the limit for Lamar.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:31 AM

I'll also note that yes he's lost twice in the playoffs. That's something he has to wear and is undoubtedly motivated to get off his back. I look at the reg season and playoffs as two different seasons. What he is doing in the reg season is not only getting us into the tournament but winning divisions and getting us higher seeds and home games. That's all you can ask.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

I'll also note that yes he's lost twice in the playoffs. That's something he has to wear and is undoubtedly motivated to get off his back. I look at the reg season and playoffs as two different seasons. What he is doing in the reg season is not only getting us into the tournament but winning divisions and getting us higher seeds and home games. That's all you can ask.

Everyone I know disagrees with me on this, but I still think both of those losses are on the OCs.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

Everyone I know disagrees with me on this, but I still think both of those losses are on the OCs.

I think he bears a good bit of responsibility for the Chargers loss. Less for the Titans loss. Regardless of exactly how responsible he is for being 0-2 its a thing now. Thats all we'll hear about heading into his next playoff game.

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

The play off losses are on everyone.  Frankly, I am over it.  We have a terrific, quarterback.  The Chargers game, we were not the better team and we did not have Lamar's system in.  Last year, was one of those games where nothing went right.

I think Manning had early troubles as did others.  Lamar is so good, he will make up for it.

For the first time in the history of the franchise the Ravens have "that guy", who keeps the defensive coaches up at night.  

• Hooded Viper and JordanKough like this
@mikeghg

#35 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:53 AM

he play off losses are on everyone.  Frankly, I am over it.  We have a terrific, quarterback.  The Chargers game, we were not the better team and we did not have Lamar's system in.  Last year, was one of those games where nothing went right.

I think Manning had early troubles as did others.  Lamar is so good, he will make up for it.

For the first time in the history of the franchise the Ravens have "that guy", who keeps the defensive coaches up at night.  

I had a post all written up, but I think your post sums up how I feel better. 

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

I had a post all written up, but I think your post sums up how I feel better. 

I watch every game 2 or 3 times and I am just amazed at how good he is.  I am a maniac during the game, so I miss things watching live.  When I calm down and watch plays, I am shocked ina positive way on what I see.

@mikeghg

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, make no mistake. I don't dwell on or worry one bit about Lamar in the playoffs. I can't say enough how awesome it is and how many times I pinch myself knowing my team has "that guy". Not only the most exciting player in the league but a guy whos playing at the same level Manning, Brady, Rodgers did in their primes.
  • JordanKough likes this

#38 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

He's just doing what some people thought he could do. Quarterbacks who can run get stereotyped as bad passers but Lamar could read defenses and throw guys open even at Louisville. We're just watching a guy with great instincts and feel for the game refine his craft. The sky's the limit for Lamar.

I never got the knocks on Lamar. When I saw him as a true freshman, I thought he was the surefire number 1 overall pick in whichever year he decided to come out. Then all of these experts started over-analyzing and exaggerating weaknesses, or just flat out making them up (can't read defenses. 1 read QB.)

Nothing annoys me more than when, even today, I see dum-dums claiming that he can't read a defense and only throws checkdowns.
  • JordanKough likes this

#39 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Nate Burleson is on the front lines of this fight. His assessment is one I agree with, he said Mahomes is the best pure passer QB in the league but Lamar Jackson is the best overall QB in the NFL right now. 

https://sports.yahoo...-143928181.html

I think people are sleeping on Lamar in the MVP race in 2020. 

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

I never got the knocks on Lamar. When I saw him as a true freshman, I thought he was the surefire number 1 overall pick in whichever year he decided to come out. Then all of these experts started over-analyzing and exaggerating weaknesses, or just flat out making them up (can't read defenses. 1 read QB.)

Nothing annoys me more than when, even today, I see dum-dums claiming that he can't read a defense and only throws checkdowns.

Someone smarter than me can evaluate his abilities presnap but postsnap Ive seen enough myself and watched football people break down enough video to say he's elite. He progresses through reads quickly, he throws guys open, he hits tight window throws. Just do a youtube search on Lamar and you'll see multiple people breaking down some of the elite QBing skills he displayed Sun. I said it in the game thread Sunday. That drive right before half was precision and efficiency at the highest level. It could not have been done better.
  • JordanKough likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=