• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

I think i'll stay here - as long as I'm given a Members Jacket and get to use the Executive Washroom.  

As long you are ok with it being a Members Only jacket. (There's a joke in there somewhere about being the only member)

• Ruzious likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#42 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:24 AM

Jacket is in the mail, welcome Ruzious!

Thank you.  You've already been more accommadating than Tony ever was to me in the decades I posted there.  

• JeremyStrain, BobPhelan and waroriole like this

#43 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:27 AM

GREAT to see some familiar names. I was "Beaner" back n the day, probably 10 years ago was the last time I posted there. 

• tennOsfan likes this
@beginthebegin71

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:28 AM

I thought the no politics rule was a good one, maybe the best, it’s just a shame Tony didn’t follow it. lol

It may be impossible to keep politics out of sports and message boards these days, but it is worth the try.

@mikeghg

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

I thought the no politics rule was a good one, maybe the best, it’s just a shame Tony didn’t follow it. lol

It may be impossible to keep politics out of sports and message boards these days, but it is worth the try.

My take on this is...  it's a social time, and it's intertwined with sports.  Can't get away from that.  Pretty obvious this week. 

You (generic you) don't have to agree with my opinions or anyone else.  You just have to treat each other with respect as posters. 

Our minimal rules are here:
https://forum.baltim...cies-and-rules/

Social / political commentary as relating to sports can be discussed anywhere on the site. 

I don't think we need to bring back the general politics thread. 

• BSLRoseKatz and dorfmac like this

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

It's very easy to keep politics out of sports; for example, heath care, foreign policy, tax policy, and so on. It is not easy to keep social matters relating to equal rights and treatment out of sports.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

Tony being Tony.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

I hope this turn of events helps to bring more valuable members to this site.

There are a number of posters over there that would fit in well here. For multiple reasons.

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:55 AM

I want Frobby!
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#50 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

I want Frobby!

Can I add Drungo to the wishlist? 😁
  • You Play to Win the Game, JeremyStrain and mweb08 like this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

I'll allow it.

#52 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:07 AM

Lol

Well that baseball has a self eject button for when the O's stand up for African Americans.

I dont get this response

Roll Tide

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:13 AM

I dont get this response

I was saying that if baseball was a part of Tony as he said, it seemingly, at least temporarily left his life due to his feelings on the O's/MLB supporting African-Americans.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:25 AM

Moved some of the posts that move past OH to a thread that makes more sense.... 

https://forum.baltim...blake-shooting/

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:28 AM

It's very easy to keep politics out of sports; for example, heath care, foreign policy, tax policy, and so on. It is not easy to keep social matters relating to equal rights and treatment out of sports.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that social matters have become equated to politics, but it's one of those things recently that seems like mostly one side for and mostly one side against. Like wearing masks, if COVID is real. Should kids go to school face to face right now. Did the moon landing really happen?

Not really sure how so many things get politicized these days, but yeah things like you listed can absolutely get left out.

• SBTarheel and mweb08 like this
@JeremyMStrain

#56 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:13 AM

TBH some of those can still be intertwined with sports, foreign policy definitely contributed to the 1980 USSR Olympic boycott and the 1984 US Olympic boycott, plus tax policy is always going to have some connection to sports as long as there's stadiums being funded with tax money  

• mweb08 likes this

she/her

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:23 AM

TBH some of those can still be intertwined with sports, foreign policy definitely contributed to the 1980 USSR Olympic boycott and the 1984 US Olympic boycott, plus tax policy is always going to have some connection to sports as long as there's stadiums being funded with tax money

For sure. But for the most part, those issues don't get much play within sports. More importantly, the stick to sports crowd doesn't tend to get worked up about stuff like that, they get upset when equality for minorities is discussed.
  • waroriole likes this

#58 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:33 AM

For sure. But for the most part, those issues don't get much play within sports. More importantly, the stick to sports crowd doesn't tend to get worked up about stuff like that, they get upset when equality for minorities is discussed.

Yeah I don't think you'll see Giannis taking a political stand over tax policy anytime soon but it definitely demonstrates how few political things won't impact sports in one way or another. Just as an example, I know it's regularly discussed how the taxes in Florida are seen as appealing to free agents.  

she/her

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:38 AM

Yeah I don't think you'll see Giannis taking a political stand over tax policy anytime soon but it definitely demonstrates how few political things won't impact sports in one way or another. Just as an example, I know it's regularly discussed how the taxes in Florida are seen as appealing to free agents.

Indeed, but people generally don't debate that topic from there, they just discuss it in the construct you present. And again, even if there were a debate about Maryland getting rid of sales tax, I guarantee most of those upset by the words Black Lives Matter would have no issue with that discussion being in sports.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:53 AM

Moved some of the posts that move past OH to a thread that makes more sense.... 

https://forum.baltim...blake-shooting/

Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=