133 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:54 PM

I cant forget because it got us Cano whos surely gonna have a better Os career than Lopez and a ton of team control. Oh and is contributing in '23 so nearly immediately. Would also like to point out that besides Povich the kid they got that is in Delmarva is raising an eyebrow or two

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:58 PM

Yawn.

• Mike B likes this

#63 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:12 PM

On May 20 he'd only given up 3 ER total and none in APR.  He's given up 8 ER in the last 10 days or so across 5 appearances and only 2+ inning.

I disagreed with the trade then and now.

If know Cano is going to pop, there's a 1000 nothing ways to get him.

The issue for me isn't whether him or Trey were traded, it's that they did nothing and sat on their hands with good options available.  Options that aren't available now. 

All the words are BS.  Elias has chosen to remain accountable for them, even if he's no longer responsible. 

That's still on him.

#64 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 06:43 AM

Dealing with “mental health issues”. Placed on restricted list. Wish him the best but this is another feather in Elias’ cap. 5.00 ERA, Ks down, four consecutive blown leads. The trade continues to look better and better. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#65 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 06:58 AM

Doesn't he have a child who isn't in the best of health? Hope it's not related to that.

#66 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 July 2023 - 05:02 PM

Jorge got swapped out of MIN today to the Fish for Dylan Floro.

Watched Jorge the other night and he hit like 2 or 3 guys in the inning.  Other teams announcers were riding him hard.

Seems like Jorge has some stuff going on between the ears.

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2023 - 05:47 PM

This FO rightly took a lot of heat over dealing their closer while in contention last year. I honestly stand by it. But I give them a lot of credit for not throwing him under the bus, which would’ve been easy to do. They never went there. Clearly always had psychological issues which effected his career. He’s been open about it in the past.

#68 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:26 PM

I’ll never forget him choosing to sell in a playoff chase. Do you.

I won’t forget. Great trade and we’re having a great season this year. He had to make a tough call and, in retrospect made two incredible trades involving two players, who, overall did not help their new clubs much. In return, he got 6 pitchers. Cano who has more than replaced Lopez. Povich and McDermott who both have really good arms and ML futures. Seth Johnson who’s probably as highly regarded or more than those two. Juan Núñez who throws 97 and could be a bullpen piece in 2-3 years. Last but not least, 19 Juan Rojas a LH starter who has a chance. Be my guest. Never forgive Mike Elias for that.
  • BobPhelan, BaltBird 24 and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#69 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:40 PM

Yawn.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:46 PM

The results of the Lopez trade are clearly positive.  I'll never like the process.  Its one of only two trades Elias has made that I thought was bad decision-making.  The other was a very minor deal so its not important, but this one was a big one and in a big moment and I hated it.  Happy the results have spun, largely on Cano bursting forth out of nowhere which I'll eyeroll at anyone who says that was something Elias thought was plausible or that we had to deal Lopez to get Cano.  Sad to see Lopez unraveling a bit in Minnesota, I'll admit that while I was somewhat concerned he could be a one-hit wonder RP like some many others (Cionel Perez or perhaps Cano himself), I hadn't at all factored in his mental health history and the risk that comes with that.

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:49 PM

I won’t forget. Great trade and we’re having a great season this year. He had to make a tough call and, in retrospect made two incredible trades involving two players, who, overall did not help their new clubs much. In return, he got 6 pitchers. Cano who has more than replaced Lopez. Povich and McDermott who both have really good arms and ML futures. Seth Johnson who’s probably as highly regarded or more than those two. Juan Núñez who throws 97 and could be a bullpen piece in 2-3 years. Last but not least, 19 Juan Rojas a LH starter who has a chance. Be my guest. Never forgive Mike Elias for that.

They clearly made the correct call on Mancini and Lopez. You just have to let the silence speak for itself because we would be hearing about it if Lopez was tearing it up and Cano hadnt emerged.

#72 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 July 2023 - 05:51 PM

Preach. Been here since day 1.

#73 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 11:29 AM

Ultimately they sold high on a reliever.  That's going to be the smart play almost every time.

Ricker - I'm curious since I think you've been the most vocal about it - if the Orioles were a different franchise, one that hadn't mostly sucked for the past 3 decades, do you think your opinion would be different?  That is, do you think the fact that we're all (rightly) desperate for a competitive team would have changed the way you viewed the trade?

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2023 - 12:32 PM

My stance has been incredibly consistent and will never change - I will never approve of trading away during a playoff run. They didn't see themselves as contenders, which I will always think is weak as hell. They won the trade, great - I'm glad they at least got that part right.

What I'd really love is not to have to rehash this every time Jorge Lopez has a bowel movement. It's cringe, honestly. I think you all are better than that.

#75 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 02:17 PM

My stance has been incredibly consistent and will never change - I will never approve of trading away during a playoff run. They didn't see themselves as contenders, which I will always think is weak as hell. They won the trade, great - I'm glad they at least got that part right.

What I'd really love is not to have to rehash this every time Jorge Lopez has a bowel movement. It's cringe, honestly. I think you all are better than that.

Bit of an overreaction based on the question I asked I think.  But all good.

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2023 - 03:54 PM

Bit of an overreaction based on the question I asked I think. But all good.

It just isn’t nuanced for me, and I’d love to move on. It’s as simple as I wanted to go for it, they didn’t, I’ve moved on - but it doesn’t at all change my mind. Wasn’t directed at you only, but all of the back patters out there (which I don’t think you’re doing, but some absolutely are).

#77 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:24 PM

Ultimately they sold high on a reliever.  That's going to be the smart play almost every time.

Ricker - I'm curious since I think you've been the most vocal about it - if the Orioles were a different franchise, one that hadn't mostly sucked for the past 3 decades, do you think your opinion would be different?  That is, do you think the fact that we're all (rightly) desperate for a competitive team would have changed the way you viewed the trade?

I'll chime in, since I hold the same opinion as Ricker. 

My answer is, no. If the O's had a recent record of being consistently competitive with some post season appearances, I would defer to the decision making of the exec who has given us good baseball. 

If the results of the trades were luck, we had all better hope that golden horseshoe doesn't drop out of his trousers. If it was strong baseball ops decision making, then we'll probably be lucky enough that we won't bother reflecting on that one time he punted.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#78 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2023 - 05:15 PM

I mean I'd like to see Cano recover from what's been a really lackluster July because otherwise the trade in terms of concrete benefits to the MLB roster is currently 4 months of a good reliever swapped for 3 months of a good reliever and 1 month of a 4.50 ERA reliever 

she/her

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2023 - 05:19 PM

I mean I'd like to see Cano recover from what's been a really lackluster July because otherwise the trade in terms of concrete benefits to the MLB roster is currently 4 months of a good reliever swapped for 3 months of a good reliever and 1 month of a 4.50 ERA reliever 

I mean they should probably trade him. Bautista too. Sell while their value is high, since they are relievers. What's going on this season, shouldn't really matter to the discussion. 

#80 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:01 PM

Last year Jorge Lopez had a 0.73 ERA over the first 3 months and a 4.76 ERA in July.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=