36 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:12 PM

Jones is already on the 40 man. Dont know if Mateo has options or not. Jones could get the call but it seems they are going to give Martin the SS reps for now and Urias the 2b reps.

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:18 PM

Apparently no options for Mateo - that's why he was available in the first place.  Mateo came up as a SS and played 3B in 8 games (20 innings) for the Padres this year, so maybe that's where they'll play him?  He once stole 82 bases in a minor league season.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

Has a positive WAR despite the horrible offensive numbers. Defense must be pretty good.

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

He’s fast and has power but a big time free swinger. I’m guessing he’ll be a utility guy. Worth taking a flier on. Valaika misses the 2020 baseball.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

AA and AAA numbers were ok. AA solid. AAA pretty meh. Only 26 and our MI options at higher levels are lacking . Worth a shot
  • BobPhelan likes this

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

His 2019 AAA numbers look pretty good on paper, but it was in the PCL so I'm assuming it was a high run environment.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:27 PM

His 2019 AAA numbers look pretty good on paper, but it was in the PCL so I'm assuming it was a high run environment.

I am surprised they dumped Valaika, but take a look.  Losing Pat the Bat, is probably not going to damage our playoff hopes.

@mikeghg

#28 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

Yeah his wRC+ was 96, so not even average.
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:38 AM

I think they must have liked Mateo's speed.  Supposedly his sprint speed is 30.6 feet per second, which is 3rd in the majors.  The old saying, too bad, you can not steal first base, plays here.

@mikeghg

#30 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Mateo seems to have a bunch of good tools. Unfortunately, his hit tool is a 35 per fangraphs, that's tough to overcome if that's all he can do. 

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:55 AM

I think they must have liked Mateo's speed.  Supposedly his sprint speed is 30.6 feet per second, which is 3rd in the majors.  The old saying, too bad, you can not steal first base, plays here.

Mateo can't really steal 2nd or 3rd either, at least not with sufficient efficiency.

He's 6/6 in the majors, but only 70% success rate in AAA and 71% in AA.

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:11 AM

Mateo can't really steal 2nd or 3rd either, at least not with sufficient efficiency.

He's 6/6 in the majors, but only 70% success rate in AAA and 71% in AA.

Yeah, I saw that.  With all respect to the late Joe Louis,  we are getting the Orioles version of the "Bum of the month" club.  We tried Wilkerson, Leyba, and now it is Mateo's turn.   I think there is probably something analytically, that attracts them to some of these guys,  We are shopping from the bargain bin, so we probably should not expect quality.

@mikeghg

#33 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, I saw that.  With all respect to the late Joe Louis,  we are getting the Orioles version of the "Bum of the month" club.  We tried Wilkerson, Leyba, and now it is Mateo's turn.   I think there is probably something analytically, that attracts them to some of these guys,  We are shopping from the bargain bin, so we probably should not expect quality.

I don't think Mateo's in the same league as those guys. I know almost nothing about him but I assume he was a top 100 guy three times, two time futures game guy, for a reason. The Padres are sitting in a WC spot and don't really have the luxury of giving a guy without options a chance at the ML level. It seems like he can't hit but I'm fine with giving him a shot for 6 weeks.

• BobPhelan likes this

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:44 AM

I don't think Mateo's in the same league as those guys. I know almost nothing about him but I assume he was a top 100 guy three times, two time futures game guy, for a reason. The Padres are sitting in a WC spot and don't really have the luxury of giving a guy without options a chance at the ML level. It seems like he can't hit but I'm fine with giving him a shot for 6 weeks.

I am at the point, where they could give anyone a shot, who cares, but Mateo is I believe on his fourth organization.  He was in the Yankee system, then I think went to Oakland and then on to the Padres.  I don't think it was a case of him being blocked.  They are kicking the tires, and hoping they find something.

@mikeghg

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:14 PM

I am at the point, where they could give anyone a shot, who cares, but Mateo is I believe on his fourth organization. He was in the Yankee system, then I think went to Oakland and then on to the Padres. I don't think it was a case of him being blocked. They are kicking the tires, and hoping they find something.

He was the main piece in the Sonny Gray trade and then was traded from Oakland because they had nowhere to play him. I’m not coming in expecting him to turn into anything but there are reasons to believe there is more upside with him than the other guys we’ve been seeing.
  • Mike B likes this

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:03 PM

He was the main piece in the Sonny Gray trade and then was traded from Oakland because they had nowhere to play him. I’m not coming in expecting him to turn into anything but there are reasons to believe there is more upside with him than the other guys we’ve been seeing.

I would not know the guy if he walked in the front door and took my lunch, so I will hold out hope that he does something for us.

Its not like we cut a superstar to pick him up.

Being the stubborn ass that I am, I would rather see Jones playing second base.  I keep reading they want him to improve defensively.  It is not like bringing him, would disrupt our gold glove defense.  My guess is, he could watch a pop up drop in as well as the incumbent group does.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#37 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

Heeee'ssss baaaacckkk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic