#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:03 PM

That's a huge blow for Towson (if they even play). MD finances desperately needs to play this season. I'm sure the investors in the new Cole didn't have this Pandemic in mind.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

There is going to be a lot of adjustments for just about every College program.  This virus is changing the sports world, maybe for good.

@mikeghg

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

My thoughts. The Big Ten is just the first domino. I still think that full postponement of fall college sports, including football, to 2021 is the likely outcome.

As for the Terps, postponing the season could be a blessing in disguise. This was not expected to be a particularly successful season for them on the field. Off the field, Locksley has put together a very good 2021 recruiting class so far by selling hope for the future. It's a lot easier to do that when you aren't racking up ugly losses in the present. So a delayed season might help him keep that momentum going.

Looking at the picture as it stands right now, the question is that if the Big Ten goes forward with its plan for the fall, do they add conference games to make up for some, if not all, of the ones that will be subtracted from the schedule? Rumor is they are considering a 10-game schedule - so add 1 more conference game - and expect to announce new plans in a week or two.

• ShoNuff07 and BSLRoseKatz like this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

That's a huge blow for Towson (if they even play). MD finances desperately needs to play this season. I'm sure the investors in the new Cole didn't have this Pandemic in mind.

If the season gets postponed to 2021, Cole will be worth its weight in gold. Imagine trying to prepare for a season that will start in Feb or March while having to practice outdoors?

#6 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

My thoughts. The Big Ten is just the first domino. I still think that full postponement of fall college sports, including football, to 2021 is the likely outcome.

As for the Terps, postponing the season could be a blessing in disguise. This was not expected to be a particularly successful season for them on the field. Off the field, Locksley has put together a very good 2021 recruiting class so far by selling hope for the future. It's a lot easier to do that when you aren't racking up ugly losses in the present. So a delayed season might help him keep that momentum going.

Looking at the picture as it stands right now, the question is that if the Big Ten goes forward with its plan for the fall, do they add conference games to make up for some, if not all, of the ones that will be subtracted from the schedule? Rumor is they are considering a 10-game schedule - so add 1 more conference game - and expect to announce new plans in a week or two.

I agree but it's a bit disappointing knowing we'd have to wait longer to see Rakim Jarrett 

• ShoNuff07 likes this

she/her

#7 BSLMikePopovec

BSLMikePopovec

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:13 PM

BSL: There Are No Real Winners Here

https://www.baltimor...m/real-winners/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

Let's talk ramifications... 

- Obviously a financial hit for the Athletic Department. 

- Do players that would have had expiring eligibility, retain their eligibility? 

- If so... scholarship crunch?

- Will there be team practices if there are no games? If not, what does a missed season do for development?

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:19 PM

The ball will be in the NCAA's court as far as the eligibility question. I'm guessing the answer will be yes if the schools/conferences themselves cancel the season. Maybe not for individual players who opt-out on their own if they end up playing (unless they have a redshirt available).

The scholarship part will probably be handled the same as it will be for athletes from the cancelled spring sports if they choose to return...programs can exceed the limit to accommodate any returning seniors from the previous season. The plus side is it does not hurt the incoming freshman class as far as available scholarships. The down side it that it hurts athletic departments financially because they will have to fund more scholarships, and they're already going to be hurting. And keep in mind, this won't just be football scholarships, but presumably all fall sports.

I do imagine they will let teams practice and workout like they currently are, maybe even hold a game-like scrimmage or two if the COVID numbers warrant it.

We've been hearing and using the word "cancelled," but I think most of the conferences that have announced so far have left open the option of holding a season in the spring. Even completely absent the coronavirus, playing college football in spring presents logistical challenges, and I don't think at this point we can bank on the hope that we'll be out of the woods by then either.

But maybe by then we will have found workarounds that allow us to mostly to go about life as we used to. Mask-wearing may become commonplace, if not mandatory, at sporting events from now on. Lucky fans of the now-Las Vegas Raiders....for them it won't be any different than before.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

I was talking to a buddy of mine about the potential move from fall to spring and how beneficial that could be for a team like Maryland. Looking at the roster, there aren't really any upperclassmen who you'd expect to opt out in favor of NFL Draft prep. Meanwhile, it's tough to imagine that players like Justin Fields would play in the spring with the draft taking place in April.

Additionally, you'd get the benefit of some potential early enrollees from the 2021 recruiting class. Right now, I know 4-star DL Marcus Bradley is expected to enroll early but there could be others as well.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

This is no longer a hypothetical. The Big Ten has voted 12-2 to cancel the fall football season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

This is no longer a hypothetical. The Big Ten has voted 12-2 to cancel the fall football season.

It stinks but it is the right thing to do.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:48 PM

I was talking to a buddy of mine about the potential move from fall to spring and how beneficial that could be for a team like Maryland. Looking at the roster, there aren't really any upperclassmen who you'd expect to opt out in favor of NFL Draft prep. Meanwhile, it's tough to imagine that players like Justin Fields would play in the spring with the draft taking place in April.

Additionally, you'd get the benefit of some potential early enrollees from the 2021 recruiting class. Right now, I know 4-star DL Marcus Bradley is expected to enroll early but there could be others as well.

I have a hunch they won’t let early enrollee freshmen play if they do spring ball, but we’ll see. I’m sure they’ll be allowed to practice with the team like they usually can in spring, but if they are playing games that could work against the early guys since most of the focus would be on game preparation vs the basics.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:49 PM

So apparently not official yet... 

https://247sports.co...emic-150086770/

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

Jeff Ermann reporting that a spring schedule is unlikely for the Big Ten due to logistical challenges and that it’ll be cancelled outright.
@BSLZackKiesel

#16 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

BSL: Fallout Of No Fall Football For Maryland

https://www.baltimor...tball-maryland/

• BSLMikeLowe and BSLZackKiesel like this

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Big Ten officially cancels the Fall season, will try and play in the Spring.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

Good read Pat. 

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

At least Locksley won’t have to convince his Top 20 recruiting class to ignore the losses piling up headed into the early signing period.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#20 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:37 PM

At least Locksley won’t have to convince his Top 20 recruiting class to ignore the losses piling up headed into the early signing period.

Locks lucked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=