• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#141 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:24 AM

CBS Sports: 2021 MLB Mock Draft: Louisville catcher goes No. 1 to Pirates; Vanderbilt pitchers go in top seven

https://www.cbssport...o-in-top-seven/

#142 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:00 PM

Rocker did pitch very well today.

#143 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:13 AM

If a C is the best option, probably has a cannon arm and can play the OF unless he is an un-athletic lumbering Matt Wieters type. Bryce Harper was a catcher. Hasn’t played an inning of catcher since draft day.
@BSLMikeRandall

#144 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:37 AM

If a C is the best option, probably has a cannon arm and can play the OF unless he is an un-athletic lumbering Matt Wieters type. Bryce Harper was a catcher. Hasn’t played an inning of catcher since draft day.

Josh Donaldson was a C and played there for about five minutes in the majors, there's definitely other guys like that too so there's definitely a precedent 

• Mike in STL likes this

she/her

#145 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:24 AM

I know there's been a lot of travel on the top15-20 guys this year and while it's fun to think about HS SS and pitchers, I don't see a reason for Elias to move off his more comfortable profile.  So I'm still not changing my selection.  The good part about McLain is while he was top 5 at one point, some early struggles dropped him down the list but he's making his way back up.  So if you're looking at guys like Cowser, Frelick and McLain, McLain seems like the much better option there.

Here's the bonus for McLain...and I just saw this in some of the other lists.....his brother, Nick McLain is also in this draft.  Matt was a 1st round pick but honored his commitment to UCLA.  Nick also has committed to UCLA and his writeup includes the thought that the commitment might scare off some teams from taking him (after all, his brother honored it).

Matt would certainly be underslot at this point at 5 (most lists have him in the 12-17 range), Nick is in the 70-140 range depending on the list but could be a kid that jumps well up the list over the next 3 years.  If you have Matt, could you pick up Nick in the 8-9-10-11 rounds and have the money to talk him out of his UCLA commit?  Would having his brother in the same Organization create incentive?  Interesting to see if any team tries to make that play.

------------------- 

He's another name that stands out to me on the list.  Alex Binelas. He has spent a fair amount of the time with a first round projection but has slid way down the list into the 70-range.  Lack of a defensive home and some consideration for what he could have gotten earlier in the daft could slide the left-handed bat down into the 4-5-6 round where a team might need some additional pool to grab him.   

• makoman likes this

#146 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:12 PM

Orioles draft 

65 (CompB)

• BobPhelan likes this

#147 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:56 PM

Orioles draft
65 (CompB)

4 picks in the top 76 seems like a gift since most teams will only pick twice in there.
@BSLMikeRandall

#148 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

Ty Madden

6.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER. 4 BB, 9 K. Against South Florida in game 1 of the Austin Super Regional.

Likely the 3rd or 4th pitcher off the board after Leiter, Jobe, Rocker?

Could he be considered an under slot pick the O’s could make or if he is drafted at 5 that’s basically what he is?
Edit: MLB mock draft has him going 10th to the Mets, but saw Chris posted ESPNs big board which ranks him 23rd.
@BSLMikeRandall

#149 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:59 PM

Not related, but Madden’s work unravels as South Florida scores 3 in the top of the ninth on two homers, a 3-2 2 out 2 run homer tied it up. Wild game as Texas walks it off in the bottom half after a 2 out dribbler puts a runner aboard, the next batter goes over the CF head and the run scores easily.
@BSLMikeRandall

#150 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:13 AM

ESPN: THE SECRETS BEHIND VANDY’S 1-2 PITCHING PUNCH

https://www.espn.com...arly-unhittable

#151 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

FanGraphs: 2021 MLB Mock Draft: One Month To Go

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:25 PM

Ive thought for awhile now it was House, Watson, or a deal with Frelich or Cowser so interesting to hear Elias has been out to see all 4 in person. That said, if we end up taking Davis as the mock projects then I'm A-OK with that.

#153 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:04 AM

Ive thought for awhile now it was House, Watson, or a deal with Frelich or Cowser so interesting to hear Elias has been out to see all 4 in person. That said, if we end up taking Davis as the mock projects then I'm A-OK with that.

I think Callis said this week not to buy in that the Os are going to cut an underslot deal again. It’s speculation from other GMs that the media has run with but they have done their HW on everyone.
@JeremyMStrain

#154 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,762 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:41 AM

I think Callis said this week not to buy in that the Os are going to cut an underslot deal again. It’s speculation from other GMs that the media has run with but they have done their HW on everyone.

They did their homework on everyone last year as well.  In fact I'd say the more homework a team has done, the likelier it is that they go underslot since that approach requires having more information, not less.

Certainly agree that barring someone with strong inside info (such as a leak from an agent for a guy rated around 10th or so) that them going underslot or not is just speculation.  But the reason for the speculation is strong, as it's something the Orioles have shown they are comfortable doing.

#155 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:53 AM

ESPN / Kiley McDaniel's Mock Draft 2.0
https://www.espn.com...er-kumar-rocker

1) Marcelo Mayer
2) Henry Davis
3) Brady House

4) Jack Leiter

5 Orioles) Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest
6) Jordan Lawler

7) Kumar Rocker

8) Benny Montgomery

9) Jackson Jobe

10) Matt McClain

11) Ty Madden

12) Sal Frelick

#156 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:05 PM

Watson looks like a great pick if we could get him.

#157 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:28 PM

Watson looks like a great pick if we could get him.

I think its 50/50. At least 2 prep SS are going before us. Watson could easily be one of them or even a 3rd.

#158 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

Keith Law mock draft 2.0

1. Pittsburgh Pirates: Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake (CA) HS

2. Texas Rangers: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep HS (TX)

3. Detroit Tigers: Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt

4. Boston Red Sox: Henry Davis, C, Louisville

5. Baltimore Orioles: Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston State

Everyone expects Baltimore to take a position player here and go well under slot so they can go over slot with later picks, as they select again at 41, 65 and 76. They’ve been linked to Harry Ford and Brady House, but it doesn’t seem like either is all that likely to accept a big discount, while Cowser’s market after this probably doesn’t start till pick 9.

2021 MLB Mock Draft 2.0: Jack Leiter to Tigers, Pirates take a high school shortstop in Keith Law’s latest look – The Athletic

#159 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

19. Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston State

Cowser is the sort of high-floor, lower-ceiling college position player teams tend to like in weaker draft classes, with good feel to hit but no other above-average tools. He does have 12 homers already this spring, even though his swing doesn’t seem like it should generate that much power.

EDIT:  From Law's Top 50 article in April.

#160 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:35 AM

I don't know when that was written but BR says Cowser has 16 HR. More walks than Ks. 17 steals and plays CF, seems like he has a shot to stick there but also has plenty of arm for RF. I assume Sam Houston doesn't play great competition. I've seen him ranked as high as 10th. Kind of blah at #5 but of course it depends on what they get later with the savings. 

I wonder if people are actually hearing things about them going underslot at 5, or if it's just expected because of last year. I feel like this FO has been pretty tight lipped and doesn't leak much. 

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=