#21 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

I went to a many games back then.  I got to see many great CBB players, from the Sky Walker David Thompson, Perkins, Worthy Jordan, Sampson, Buck Williams , Albert King etc. and the only one who IMO had a better college career (maybe) was Thompson.

Lenny could do it all from his picture perfect jump shoot to the explosive around the rim game to his ability to come up with a big defensive play at the exact right time.

He was GREAT.  Lenny was a ferocious competitor.    The basketball world really missed out, on what I think would have been a terrific rivalry between Jordan and Lenny.  

Maybe, I still contend that playing behind Bird & McHale would have lengthened their careers, thus making it a little harder for Bias to play a ton of minutes early in his career. 15-18 minutes a game max I'd assume he'd be playing his first few years. Not sure he'd have ever got to that level, and it might not have been his "fault' per se. 

Just a guess though. 

But yes, talent wise, he was unreal. 

@beginthebegin71

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:42 PM

Maybe, I still contend that playing behind Bird & McHale would have lengthened their careers, thus making it a little harder for Bias to play a ton of minutes early in his career. 15-18 minutes a game max I'd assume he'd be playing his first few years. Not sure he'd have ever got to that level, and it might not have been his "fault' per se. 

Just a guess though. 

But yes, talent wise, he was unreal. 

Bias was way to talented to play only 18 minutes a game.  Auerbach would have transformed the team over to Bias, as Bird and McHale got older.

I am biased, no pun intended, because Lenny was the best player that my favorite team ever had and there have been a lot of good ones.

@mikeghg

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:55 PM

Bilas apparently said a Top 50 all-time talent the other day on 105.7. 

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:10 PM

Bilas apparently said a Top 50 all-time talent the other day on 105.7. 

Yea I heard that, and I really believe it.  I probably saw Lenny in person at least 25 times.  He was incredible.

@mikeghg

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Interesting Mock Draft of Terp players. with some good comments.

https://theathletic....-days-of-lefty/

Buck Williams at 11.  Too low.

@mikeghg

#26 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:18 PM

Bias was way to talented to play only 18 minutes a game.  Auerbach would have transformed the team over to Bias, as Bird and McHale got older.

I am biased, no pun intended, because Lenny was the best player that my favorite team ever had and there have been a lot of good ones.

He was amazing, no question, but the Celtics won the NBA title in '86 and had arguably the best frontcourt in the league with 2 of the best 50 players in league history. I just don't see how Bias would have played much, at least those first few years. Sad that we never got the chance to find out. 

@beginthebegin71

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:43 PM

He was amazing, no question, but the Celtics won the NBA title in '86 and had arguably the best frontcourt in the league with 2 of the best 50 players in league history. I just don't see how Bias would have played much, at least those first few years. Sad that we never got the chance to find out. 

Yea, we are disagreeing over something we will never know, but Red had the habit, even then of trading players at the very end of their prime and adding pieces to prolong the Celtic run of power.  Lenny was going to be one of those new pieces.  The fact that we never got to see if he was the next Celtic great still aggravtes me, even to this day.

@mikeghg

#28 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:14 PM

Yea, we are disagreeing over something we will never know, but Red had the habit, even then of trading players at the very end of their prime and adding pieces to prolong the Celtic run of power.  Lenny was going to be one of those new pieces.  The fact that we never got to see if he was the next Celtic great still aggravtes me, even to this day.

One of, if not the greatest "what if" moments ever. 

@beginthebegin71

#29 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

BSL: Pickings getting slim for Terps

https://www.baltimor...ing-slim-terps/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

Thanks again for the good information.  I figured Gach was going to stay home.  I have pretty much given up on any significant additions.  The issue I have, is if there are any injuries, Maryland will go from co-conference champs to what Nebraska was last year, having football players or walk ons playing.

The good news is with the 2 4 stars already committed for 21, things could be on the upswing.

@mikeghg

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

CBS Sports: Oklahoma State center Yor Anei transferring after Cowboys' postseason ban
https://www.cbssport...postseason-ban/

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

CBS Sports: Oklahoma State center Yor Anei transferring after Cowboys' postseason ban
https://www.cbssport...postseason-ban/

He is big, has a skill and a pulse.  Maryland should be interested.

@mikeghg

#33 ChrisKnoche

ChrisKnoche

HOF

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

BSL: Hoops Thoughts Here In June

https://www.baltimor...-thoughts-june/

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:06 AM

I have been a Maryland fan since back in the Jim O'Brien days.  I really hope I am wrong, but I am having a hard time seeing this team being able to hang in the B10.  

The one thing Chris, really did not touch on was whether Turgeon is good enough to figure out an angle to at least take advantage the strengths left, while covering some of the obvious weaknesses.

@mikeghg

#35 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Very interesting how Chris brought up the fact that Turgeon's late-cycle recruiting struggles this year could have stemmed from not being able to get recruits on campus. I think it's a good point. While Turgeon is a great recruiter at times, Maryland's campus and basketball facilities pretty much speak for themselves.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:57 PM

https://twitter.com/...563089451048962

Not to make too much of it (given who he was playing), but encouraging nonetheless. 

He needs to play, play, play. Keep running 5v5 all summer. Find games everywhere.

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

https://twitter.com/...563089451048962

Not to make too much of it (given who he was playing), but encouraging nonetheless. 

He needs to play, play, play. Keep running 5v5 all summer. Find games everywhere.

I love the play where the little guy drives and gets his shot taken out of the air with two hands.  He probably ran up court yelling turn the damn camera off.

I will say, Marial seemed to be running easier than he did all last year, but very skeptical he will be able to give them real minutes.

@mikeghg

#38 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

BSL: Chol Marial is Maryland’s biggest storyline in 2020-21

https://www.baltimor...ryline-2020-21/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

BSL: Chol Marial is Maryland’s biggest storyline in 2020-21

https://www.baltimor...ryline-2020-21/

I hope Chol is up to the task, but I have a hard time seeing him avoid foul trouble and making a real contribution.  I really hope I am wrong.

• RaphielleJohnson likes this
@mikeghg

#40 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:30 PM

Yeah it's a huge "if" for this team. I'm more concerned about his health and dealing with the workload that's coming, seeing that he hasn't played a lot of basketball the last three years or so due to leg injuries. If Chol isn't up to the task, Maryland's in deep trouble. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=