HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

IMS: Gary on his biggest whiff, DC Assault, why he retired, KD, more
https://247sports.co...42/#147340942_5

Gary is always an interesting guy.  I like the way he tried to recruit guys that fit what they did.  He believed in the press to help generate offense.

That is one of the things missing today.

@mikeghg

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

The other thing, that is noticeable is that Gary may have softened some but still holds a grudge.  I would be willing to bet that him and Debbie Yow do not exchange Christmas cards

@mikeghg

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

From Jeff Goodman:

Maryland’s Serrel Smith Jr. is in the transfer portal, per the portal. Sophomore guard from Florida averaged eight minutes per game this past season

@beginthebegin71

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

I think we have enough depth at guard, but still a bummer to see guys leaving. Wonder if this is in response to pursuing the wing from Utah?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

From Jeff Goodman:

Maryland’s Serrel Smith Jr. is in the transfer portal, per the portal. Sophomore guard from Florida averaged eight minutes per game this past season

And the off season from hell continues.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

I think we have enough depth at guard, but still a bummer to see guys leaving. Wonder if this is in response to pursuing the wing from Utah?

I think it is similar to Lindo.  Neither believed they were going to see significant minutes at Maryland.

@mikeghg

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

Pretty remarkable MD had the season they had, given the clear unhappiness of a good portion of the roster. 

• Mike B likes this

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

Serrel probably didn't think he'd be able to fend off Hart for playing time behind Morsell and Wiggins (not to mention Dockery). Or he didn't want to.

None of the outgoing transfers in and of themselves feel like a significant loss. But put them all together (5 if you include the Mitchells), on top of having to replace the two best players, and it almost feels like what you would expect to see after a coaching change. (If only...)

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:00 AM

Serrel probably didn't think he'd be able to fend off Hart for playing time behind Morsell and Wiggins (not to mention Dockery). Or he didn't want to.

None of the outgoing transfers in and of themselves feel like a significant loss. But put them all together (5 if you include the Mitchells), on top of having to replace the two best players, and it almost feels like what you would expect to see after a coaching change. (If only...)

If next year is as bad as it feels like it could be, the fan base is going to be screaming for that coaching change.

@mikeghg

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

If next year is as bad as it feels like it could be, the fan base is going to be screaming for that coaching change.

Covid is probably a part of it, but Turgeon not yet having been extended is pretty telling.  His contract goes through '22/'23 and the rising seniors that he's currently recruiting are the class of '25.  When things are going well, the major programs don't usually let the coach's contract end before the kids he's bringing in will graduate.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

Covid is probably a part of it, but Turgeon not yet having been extended is pretty telling.  His contract goes through '22/'23 and the rising seniors that he's currently recruiting are the class of '25.  When things are going well, the major programs don't usually let the coach's contract end before the kids he's bringing in will graduate.

I think you are right.  The thing is, I get the impression the

governing body likes Turgeon, but the empty seats can not be ignored.  Also given the high transfer rate he has had, it makes me wonder, if the players like playing for him.

@mikeghg

#13 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:41 AM

For those of you who never saw Lenny Bias play, watch ESPN tonight at 8:00. They're showing the game at the Dean Dome in 1986 that he simply destroyed Carolina. Enjoy. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:46 AM

I think you are right.  The thing is, I get the impression the

governing body likes Turgeon, but the empty seats can not be ignored.  Also given the high transfer rate he has had, it makes me wonder, if the players like playing for him.

Transfer rates are tricky. Something like 95% of them fall into two categories, clashing with the coach, or not getting the playing time they want. The last couple percent are like something out of left field like wanting to be closer to home, or someone got sick or something.

I think of that 95% most of it is about playing time,

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

For those of you who never saw Lenny Bias play, watch ESPN tonight at 8:00. They're showing the game at the Dean Dome in 1986 that he simply destroyed Carolina. Enjoy. 

I just set the DVR, and told my kids to watch.   Bias was absolutely great.  One of the 3 best CBB players I ever saw.  Alcindor and David Thompson being the others.  to this day, it still bothers me, how he died.

@mikeghg

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

The 30-30 on Bias follows the ESPN replay of the Maryland - UNC game

@mikeghg

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

I watched the Bias hand the Tar Heels the first loss at the Dean Dome again today.  I did not realize Dan Bonner was doing games even back then.  

Bias was so good, such a waste of life.

@mikeghg

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:01 PM

I watched the Bias hand the Tar Heels the first loss at the Dean Dome again today.  I did not realize Dan Bonner was doing games even back then.  

Bias was so good, such a waste of life.

I really hope the fellas on the board that hadn't seen him play were able to watch. 34 years later, this Carolina fan was still in awe. 

@beginthebegin71

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

I really hope the fellas on the board that hadn't seen him play were able to watch. 34 years later, this Carolina fan was still in awe. 

I went to a many games back then.  I got to see many great CBB players, from the Sky Walker David Thompson, Perkins, Worthy Jordan, Sampson, Buck Williams , Albert King etc. and the only one who IMO had a better college career (maybe) was Thompson.

Lenny could do it all from his picture perfect jump shoot to the explosive around the rim game to his ability to come up with a big defensive play at the exact right time.

He was GREAT.  Lenny was a ferocious competitor.    The basketball world really missed out, on what I think would have been a terrific rivalry between Jordan and Lenny.  

@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:03 PM

One other thing, I watched the game twice and I was not able to bring myself to delete it.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=