#321 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:33 PM

It’s crazy. I feel like when they catch up, the same thing is going to happen again. All the people that have been sitting on cards for like six months since they stopped taking orders (unless you are paying $300 for the card to be graded).

Wonder if one of these third companies, outside of PSA and BGS, emerges as just as credible.

A group submission, uh, group, that I follow on facebook has been using SGC for a while now.

I think their cards aren't quite as valuable as PSA or BGS but they're getting a footing and it looks like their "general" submissions come back in 3-4 weeks turnaround time which is *awesome* 

• Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#322 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:23 AM

Picked up this guy for the personal collection. 

kJVNZNz.jpg

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#323 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:45 AM

I'd imagine Nick cards are a pretty good value, right? Can't imagine he's a sexy guy to collect if you're not an O's fan.

she/her

#324 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:47 PM

I'd imagine Nick cards are a pretty good value, right? Can't imagine he's a sexy guy to collect if you're not an O's fan.

Yeah I can’t see him being sought after when prospects are the name of the flipping game. I doubt that retired guys that aren’t hall of famers are going to see their prices fluctuate.

I probably could have waited, maybe the market overall comes back down to earth. But I wanted it. Cost less than two Bowman blasters that could have had nothing in them. Already graded, I’m good with it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#325 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:12 AM

Learning relic cards are BS. Checked out Dominguez cards on eBay just to see where his market is these days. I saw a ton of relic cards when he hadn’t played a game yet. Saw someone on Reddit yesterday post a Jarren Duran relic card they pulled. Was part of a patch from the Fenway Park 100th anniversary in 2012. Duran was drafted in 2018, obviously would have never worn this patch. Have also seen a Tatis where the part of the jersey swatch was clearly part of an “H” on the name plate. Maybe it was a Machado and it got mixed up?

Seems like companies make jerseys full of big letters and number “88” (big number, get more number pieces) and a ton of patches sewed on. Have a player put it on for 5 seconds, then cut it up and call it “player worn”.
@BSLMikeRandall

#326 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

Couple of O's pulls from a Series 2 blaster.

Ripken 1986 AS reprint. Mullins gold foil, #/2021

71lancH.jpg

NtDjz8H.jpg

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#327 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:30 PM

Not an Oriole, but I loved the 1954 Topps design. Casey Mize RC. It says "Topps certified autograph", Like their actual on card or sticker autos say. But this certainly looks like its printed. The original 1954 Topps had similar autos on all the cards. Going to have to look more into that one. 

Ml5s8Ej.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#328 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:03 AM

So I think I’m getting back into cards for the first time since I was a kid, just bought into my first break and bought a couple 1st Bowmans.

Any tips for a newbie?

#329 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:31 AM

So I think I’m getting back into cards for the first time since I was a kid, just bought into my first break and bought a couple 1st Bowmans.

Any tips for a newbie?

Topps and Bowman (owned by topps) have MLB licenses. Other companies don’t. So those other companies cards will have players in blank jerseys and only say “Baltimore” rather than Orioles or have a logo. Personally, I don’t get why a baseball fan would collect those, but to each their own.

Pick a lane for what you want to achieve.

If you’re doing it for the hobby, enjoy it. You’ll spend a lot and end up with a lot of cards, double triples, of guys that are irrelevant. I probably have 16 Rio Ruiz’ from 2020 Topps for example. But it’s awesome when you rip pack after pack and find something really awesome. Generally, you’re not going to get cards worth more than the packs/boxes in the long run. But if that’s not your goal, and you want to rip packs, build a set, it’s all good.

If you want to collect just O’s, then getting into breaks where you can pick the team might be the play.

If you have your eyes on specific players, scour eBay and Reddit. Can probably buy let’s say a Coby Mayo 1st Bowman autograph for the price of 2 Bowman blaster boxers that might not have anything in them.

If you want to flip cards, use collecting as an investment, treat it like the stock market. Buy prospect cards from Bowman low, sell them high. Graded 10, 1st Bowman, and autographed, basically checks the boxes of what will be worth most one day. If it’s colored, # 1/1, 1/5, 1/25, 1/50, etc… will be worth more at each level.

Grading with PSA basically isn’t happening unless you come into a $1000 card. So buying already graded on eBay is the path I’d go if you’re into that. PSA and Beckett (BGS) are respected. SGA is about to be. Others, not sure. Heard a rumor on a pod from the national card show that just happened that a card graded by SGA is going up for auction soon and expected to break more records. Basically would legitimize SGA as a credible 3rd grading option.

My problem is depending on the week depends on what I want to do. I’ll have my eyes on graded cards for my personal collection and check out eBay periodically for a deal. I’ll also rip packs every now and then for fun. So I don’t have enough rips to complete a set. And my personal collection is lacking too. Lol.

Recently discovered on Reddit guys will trade. I traded a Jake Croenworth and Daz Cameron RC to a guy for a handful of Orioles cards he had no use for himself. Mullins RC, Mancini 1st Bowman, Mountcastle RC, couple others. So finding I can take things from ripping packs, and some out there might want it, and I can add to O’s personal collection that way.
  • BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#330 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:38 PM

Topps and Bowman (owned by topps) have MLB licenses. Other companies don’t. So those other companies cards will have players in blank jerseys and only say “Baltimore” rather than Orioles or have a logo. Personally, I don’t get why a baseball fan would collect those, but to each their own.

Pick a lane for what you want to achieve.

If you’re doing it for the hobby, enjoy it. You’ll spend a lot and end up with a lot of cards, double triples, of guys that are irrelevant. I probably have 16 Rio Ruiz’ from 2020 Topps for example. But it’s awesome when you rip pack after pack and find something really awesome. Generally, you’re not going to get cards worth more than the packs/boxes in the long run. But if that’s not your goal, and you want to rip packs, build a set, it’s all good.

If you want to collect just O’s, then getting into breaks where you can pick the team might be the play.

If you have your eyes on specific players, scour eBay and Reddit. Can probably buy let’s say a Coby Mayo 1st Bowman autograph for the price of 2 Bowman blaster boxers that might not have anything in them.

If you want to flip cards, use collecting as an investment, treat it like the stock market. Buy prospect cards from Bowman low, sell them high. Graded 10, 1st Bowman, and autographed, basically checks the boxes of what will be worth most one day. If it’s colored, # 1/1, 1/5, 1/25, 1/50, etc… will be worth more at each level.

Grading with PSA basically isn’t happening unless you come into a $1000 card. So buying already graded on eBay is the path I’d go if you’re into that. PSA and Beckett (BGS) are respected. SGA is about to be. Others, not sure. Heard a rumor on a pod from the national card show that just happened that a card graded by SGA is going up for auction soon and expected to break more records. Basically would legitimize SGA as a credible 3rd grading option.

My problem is depending on the week depends on what I want to do. I’ll have my eyes on graded cards for my personal collection and check out eBay periodically for a deal. I’ll also rip packs every now and then for fun. So I don’t have enough rips to complete a set. And my personal collection is lacking too. Lol.

Recently discovered on Reddit guys will trade. I traded a Jake Croenworth and Daz Cameron RC to a guy for a handful of Orioles cards he had no use for himself. Mullins RC, Mancini 1st Bowman, Mountcastle RC, couple others. So finding I can take things from ripping packs, and some out there might want it, and I can add to O’s personal collection that way.

Great information, thanks!

I've already popped on some ebay listings (Baumann, Ofelky Peralta, and Carter Baumler chrome autos), got a couple card from my local card shop (Joey Ortiz chrome 1st Bowman, Rylan Bannon paper 1st Bowman, and numbered Gausman stars and stripes auto), and participated in a break of the new Allen & Ginter for the O's. So I'm jumping in with both feet haha.

• Mike in STL likes this

#331 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:58 PM

9cdxagnok6h71.jpg

Got this for under 25 bucks including shipping, pretty happy with the value

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

she/her

#332 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

Wasnt sure where to put this. If you like OOTP Baaeball and card collecting give OOTP Go a look on mobile. You can collect and build up a team using thousands of virtual cards to then simulate seasons or tournaments against other people. You get rewarded with cards, packs, and perfect points(the in game currancy). They give you 5 packs to start and try the perfect drafts. Easily the best part of the game.
  • BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#333 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:23 PM

Yeah I messed with that a couple years ago, pretty cool.

#334 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

Yeah I messed with that a couple years ago, pretty cool.

Even better now. Many more cards and the perfect drafts are so fun.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:51 AM

NEWS: Major League Baseball is ending a 70-year partnership with Topps to work with Fanatics on licensed trading cards starting in 2026.
Topps has been producing baseball cards since 1951, and received an exclusive license from MLB in 2009. That agreement was later extended through 2025. In 2020, Topps paid the MLBPA $20 million in licensing fees, the union’s largest source of licensing revenue.

• Mike in STL likes this

#336 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

Definitely interested in seeing how this affects player deals... I have a feeling Fanatics may end up trying to just buy Topps to get their logos, rights, etc., but we'll see.

#337 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:27 AM

Definitely interested in seeing how this affects player deals... I have a feeling Fanatics may end up trying to just buy Topps to get their logos, rights, etc., but we'll see.

Yeah I think that’s what’s going to happen. They’ve already tried in the past from what I read.

#338 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:32 AM

I’ve had some beginners luck. Got a hit in each of the first three box breaks I’ve bought into. Bought a 1st Bowman hobby box and got a /99 Julio Rodriguez, /499 Javy Baez and Mick Abel, and chromes of DL Hall, Gunnar Henderson, Heston Kjerstad, Jordan Westburg, and Wander Franco. The auto I got was some Rockies prospect but at least it was a 1st.
  • Mike in STL and BSLRoseKatz like this

#339 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 01:55 PM

I’ve had some beginners luck. Got a hit in each of the first three box breaks I’ve bought into. Bought a 1st Bowman hobby box and got a /99 Julio Rodriguez, /499 Javy Baez and Mick Abel, and chromes of DL Hall, Gunnar Henderson, Heston Kjerstad, Jordan Westburg, and Wander Franco. The auto I got was some Rockies prospect but at least it was a 1st.

Ezequiel Tovar?

#340 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:49 PM

Ezequiel Tovar?

Adael Amador

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users