I love Ed Reed.  But it's Frank.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

Reed. He played (almost) his entire career here and was the best player at his position, ever.

Frank, for as amazing as he was, was here 6 years and has several peers as good or better.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:34 PM

See above. Reed.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Oh dammit, yeah time spent in Baltimore is a fair point, I wasn't considering that part of the criteria.  Frank's the better and more valuable career in his sport, but even though his peak here in Baltimore was legendary it was brief.  Not like Ed had a terribly long career though.

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:38 PM

Why the hell did Cincinnati trade Frank in the first place? And for that return?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:39 PM

I think being the 15th or 20th or whatever best position player of all time in baseball is a higher echelon than being the best or third best or whatever safety of all time in football.

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:42 PM

I think being the 15th or 20th or whatever best position player of all time in baseball is a higher echelon than being the best or third best or whatever safety of all time in football.

It's a good problem to have, to pick between Reed or Frank but Reed is arguably the best at his position. He can't help that you or anyone undervalues that. 

If Justin Tucker was #20 I'd pick him over Frank.

You also can't minimize playing an entire career in a city, either.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:34 PM

Tucker over Frank (or Reed) better be hyperbole. Is the best long snapper of all time ahead of Frank, too?

Being the best at your position is only as important as your position is, IMO.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:53 PM

Not sure I agree with this.

I take Reed too. He had the longevity although Frank did manage here and was in the FO too. How much of that do you take into consideration?

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:53 PM

Tucker over Frank (or Reed) better be hyperbole. Is the best long snapper of all time ahead of Frank, too?

Being the best at your position is only as important as your position is, IMO.

Well a COer isn’t close to the most valuable position on the diamond.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:19 PM

although Frank did manage here and was in the FO too. How much of that do you take into consideration?

None (for this)... he wasn't wearing #20 in those capacities. 

• SportsGuy likes this

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

Why the hell did Cincinnati trade Frank in the first place? And for that return?

Their GM got way too focused on age-related decline, so he thought 30 was old... and he labeled Frank an "old 30", presumably because Frank wouldn't take any sh*t... he got a boatload of P's in return... but he also got Frank PO'd, which was good for us.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:38 PM

In defense of Cincinnati, Milt Pappas had started the All-Star Game in 1965 for the American League and was one of the more reliable and durable pitchers in baseball at the time.

Cincinnati GM/owner Bill DeWitt actually had said that Frank Robinson was "not a young 30." He never said Frank was old. He was also following the lead of Branch Rickey, who once famously noted, "Better to trade a player a month too early than a day too late." Still, Frank winning the AL Triple Crown while leading the Orioles to the 1966 Series while Pappas won just 12 games for Cincinnati made it look like one of the most foolish trades in baseball history.

For the record, Milt Pappas is the only pitcher in major league history to lose a perfect game by walking the 27th hitter he faced.

If we're going to compare No. 20s, I still have to go with Frank Robinson. Yes, he only played here for six years, but the Orioles had never won a pennant or World Series before he joined the Orioles. After Frank arrived in Baltimore, the Orioles won four pennants and two World Series in his time here. He was the missing ingredient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=