#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

I don't really want to go down this road. 
It's a time of crisis, and I don't want to spend current time pointing fingers. 
When we get past this, I think we can look back and evaluate. 
But that said... a lot of what we're facing is self-inflicted pain, and the ramifications of decisions we've made the last few years. At-least in-terms of amplification.  

Re: China and this being man made.  There's nothing to really indicate that.  If it's proven later, lord help them. 

I have been told some info.

A good friend of mine has a good friend whose wife works at APG in the science/health (not sure name of it?) division. She is high up on the food chain and she said that they know this is the case.

Also, speaking to my mom about it, she said it’s unusual for a virus to be spread from animal to person and vice versa. (I think that’s how she worded it). She said a lot of times that something like that occurs, it usually isn’t some natural virus that just developed.

Again, neither of these are concrete things but there is validity to both apparently and I think if we add up everything, it’s a lot more believable than we want to think.

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

Two weeks ago the Predsident was calling this a hoax. Now he said he knew it's a pandemic before anyone else did. LOL

No, Trump couldn't have stopped it but he could have done a much better job getting ahead of it.

This is also why you see the market plummeting. No one has faith in this administration to handle this effectively.

What China did or didn't do is irrelevant. 

• DuffMan and TwentyThirtyFive like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

Two weeks ago the Predsident was calling this a hoax. Now he said he knew it's a pandemic before anyone else did. LOL

No, Trump couldn't have stopped it but he could have done a much better job getting ahead of it.

This is also why you see the market plummeting. No one has faith in this administration to handle this effectively.

First of all, everyone (Democrats included) have been applauding Trump as of late.

Secondly, he never should have talked about it like it was a hoax but I’m also glad he didn’t go full panic like many of the other dipshits out there. End of the day, nothing he(or any other President because of how crappy our country is when it comes to this) could have done would change anything that is going on right now.

People just want to hear warm and fuzzy words but it doesn’t change the outcome.

And the market is plummeting for a myriad of reasons. This isn’t just something effecting the US either.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

Btw, I’m not saying he handled it perfectly or anything but pointing fingers changes nothing and the outcome is the same regardless of what he did or said.

Market would still be tanking if everyone loved him, the virus would still be here, stuff would be closing everywhere, etc...

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

I don't really want to go down this road. 

It's a time of crisis, and I don't want to spend current time pointing fingers. 

When we get past this, I think we can look back and evaluate. 

But that said... a lot of what we're facing is self-inflicted pain, and the ramifications of decisions we've made the last few years. At-least in-terms of amplification.  

Re: China and this being man made.  There's nothing to really indicate that.  If it's proven later, lord help them. 

The problem re: looking back from the future, is that there is a presidential election in less than eight months. If decisions made over the past three-plus years by the current administration--let alone the past three months--allowed this to expand further faster and with a lowered capacity to combat it, that's a reckoning that cannot wait.

@DJ_McCann

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:53 AM

He also didn't want testing earlier because he was afraid it would hurt his chances at re-election. It's very obvious he screwed this up. However, like you say, that doesn't mean he and the administration could have totally prevented this.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:02 AM

If anyone wants to talk Politics in this thread, have at it.  (Specifically politics and coronavirus.)

Hogan has shown real leadership imo. 

Trump is not responsible for the virus, and if he had done everything correctly... nothing would have prevented it from coming here, and having significant impact. 

But his actions over the last 3 years have helped amplify this.  

The Mercury News: Fact check: A list of 28 ways President Trump and his team have been dishonest about the coronavirus
https://www.mercuryn...he-coronavirus/

The Atlantic: https://www.theatlan...cy-over/607969/

Politco: Trump's mismanagement helped fuel coronavirus crisis
https://www.politico...nt-style-123465

VOX: The Trump administration’s botched coronavirus response, explained
https://www.vox.com/...ndemic-response

Mother Jones: Here Are 17 Ways the Trump Administration Bungled Its Coronavirus Response
https://www.motherjo...virus-response/

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:08 AM

https://www.nytimes....esultPosition=2

This article details some of the response or lack there of in some cases by the administration.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

I always want to go to the Clinton times..err New York Times, for unbiased news!

I agree with Chris w/r/t Hogan.

He is great for this state. No one is ever going to agree with everything and make a decision everyone wants but he has been good for the state. It will be a shame when he leaves.

I also agree that Trump can learn from Hogan on how to properly do these things but we all know he’s a child and won’t ever learn.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

He also didn't want testing earlier because he was afraid it would hurt his chances at re-election. It's very obvious he screwed this up. However, like you say, that doesn't mean he and the administration could have totally prevented this.

What would be different right now if Trump handled things the way you wanted it done since it became known the virus was out there?

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:48 AM

Hogan has been great. That’s what a leader looks like in a time of crisis. 

• BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

What would be different right now if Trump handled things the way you wanted it done since it became known the virus was out there?

Limiting this to when then virus arrived, takes Trump off the hook for the decisions he's made the last 3 years. 
Those actions made it harder to coordinate efforts. 

But just limiting it to since the virus arrived... 

- By downplaying the risks, and by misleading the public through inaccurate information; you had a less informed public.  The messaging has been erratic, with contradictory information from Trump himself (one day to the next) and his surrogates. That leads to an erosion of public confidence in the Government's ability to lead, and that has real impact in numerous ways.

- By encouraging people not to get tested, because he didn't want the numbers 'known'... he amplified the issues, because you have people spreading without experiencing symptoms themselves. 

- Hogan gets credit for taking preemptive steps, and coalition building. Trump gets dinged because he's constantly been playing catch-up, and trying to divide. 

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Hogan has been great. That’s what a leader looks like in a time of crisis. 

Absolutely. 

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

If you blame Trump for the previous 3 years of lack of prep, Obama and Bush deserve blame too.

You can’t pick and choose what you want to blame and give credit for when mistakes/lack of prep were also made before him.

All of what you said is window dressing.

It changes nothing. The virus would be here, the hysteria would be here, the markets would be crashing and the jobs would be lost.

He absolutely could have handled things better but the bottom line stays the same no matter what.

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

If you blame Trump for the previous 3 years of lack of prep, Obama and Bush deserve blame too.

You can’t pick and choose what you want to blame and give credit for when mistakes/lack of prep were also made before him.

It changes nothing. The virus would be here, the hysteria would be here, the markets would be crashing and the jobs would be lost.

He absolutely could have handled things better but the bottom line stays the same no matter what.

I don't agree, but okay.  
I'll give my opinion when I vote in November. 

Until then (maybe after then) he's the President, and I want him to lead. 

Hopefully we can mitigate this nightmare, and collectively get back to normal as quick as possible. 

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:41 AM

Rob - it's simple, the spread would be far less. It would have avoided stupid bs like this from this past weekend:

st-patricks-day-events-parties-houston-2

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

https://twitter.com/...757438951309312

Hey, none of this matters man. We'd be exactly as screwed now if the government did a good job vs a bad job. Duh.
  • DJ MC likes this

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:18 PM

I won't get too political but I am sick of people on both sides of the aisle bickering at each other.

Also, the "gotcha!" people that try to catch Trump in lies, you're wasting your time.  Everyone knows he's a liar -- his followers don't care.

Focus on what is actually going on and fix it.   

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#59 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

Also, the "gotcha!" people that try to catch Trump in lies, you're wasting your time.  Everyone knows he's a liar -- his followers don't care.

Made me think of this thread:

https://twitter.com/...993676362809344

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

You're right. I personally need to do a better job of remembering this EVERY SINGLE TIME I feel the need to point it out. 

Yea, what we need is one of those honest politicians!

Oh wait, they don’t exist. :D

(Is there a way we can get rid of all of them?..asking for a friend)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=