#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

We don't have access to leading scientists, doctors and pandemic experts like he does though. It's excusable for regular Joe's (well, you're regular, me, not so much) to choose not to buy into it all that much, but it isn't for our President not to. But tearing him apart for last night seems vicious to me. 

Yea and there are plenty of experts in this field that are slamming the reaction to this situation.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:08 AM

That's the thing: we don't know. PROBABLY, but we don't know. Maybe it wasn't a big deal and it is NOW. Maybe it has been all along, and they fumbled this beyond measure. I believe the latter, but I understand giving the benefit of the doubt. 

There might have been countless pandemics that were beaten ahead of time just because Clinton/GWB/Obama got ahead of it because of actual competence. 

...but we don't know. And we likely never will.

I agree with this.

I think this is one of those things where the President will be wrongly or rightly slammed on.

I just don’t think you can prevent it. It’s just too easy for it to get into the country, no matter what you do.

I mean, TSA is supposed to carefully go through bags and have all of these precautions since 9-11 and you still hear of things slipping through.

It’s just inevitable.

I’m still surprised Disney parks are open.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Let’s just announce that the election is canceled and Trump stays the president for at least another year.

That will change things real fast.

#24 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

Let’s just announce that the election is canceled and Trump stays the president for at least another year.

That will change things real fast.

You joke, but...

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:57 PM

You joke, but...

It’s not really that much of a joke...more truth than joke.

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:47 PM

Apparently this past weekend at Mar-a-Lago, the President was in contact with someone who just tested positive.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

But it's okay. We'll create a mirage by titling a bill the "Families First Coronavirus Response Act", while no one really sees anything from that, then pour trillions into bailing out greedy corporations that didn't save enough to weather something like this.
  • mweb08 likes this

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

But it's okay. We'll create a mirage by titling a bill the "Families First Coronavirus Response Act", while no one really sees anything from that, then pour trillions into bailing out greedy corporations that didn't save enough to weather something like this.

Votes matter.

@DJ_McCann

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

To be clear, the administration has failed the people in multiple ways on this. I just dont think its because they ignored the media.
  • The Epic likes this

#30 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

I for one am shocked that gaslighting didn't turn out to be an effective deterrent against the virus.

• The Epic and DJ MC like this

#31 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

To be clear, the administration has failed the people in multiple ways on this. I just dont think its because they ignored the media.

Did we even consider nuking the virus like the hurricanes?  Because if not...

• NewMarketSean and weird-O like this

#32 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:01 PM

Did we even consider nuking the virus like the hurricanes?  Because if not...

GDI I knew we forgot something.

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

In the spirit of fairness, it does appear that he is finally taking this thing seriously, even FOX "News" personalities were showing a different tone yesterday, and they fired the host that said last week that this was an "impeachment hoax". 

However, from the bits I've seen at least some of them have pivoted to a "See, this is why the government shouldn't manage things" talking point.

@DJ_McCann

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:23 AM

If this is so bad, why aren’t they suspending the election?

Why are we having so many people going to vote?

That makes no sense.

Are we only picking and choosing what events people can be around people?

Was there any media outrage over the primaries being held yesterday?

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:28 AM

If this is so bad, why aren’t they suspending the election?

Why are we having so many people going to vote?

That makes no sense.

Are we only picking and choosing what events people can be around people?

Was there any media outrage over the primaries being held yesterday?

There was some.  They were also trying to make things different at the voting places... distance from people in lines, hand sanitizer etc.  Probably should have delayed the voting, or made completely mail in.  State-by-State process there.

You've got the Oklahoma Governor out over the weekend in a crowed restaurant saying, "Go out."  You've got the California Congressman saying "Go out to dinner."   So that doesn't help messaging either.  (Though Nunes walked back his comments later saying he meant carry out.)   You've got the silly pop star and her dumb comments. 

Our messaging and actions have to become consistent across the board. Hard to do when everyone has a microphone, and society is divided to the point we don't agree on what are facts.  

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:43 AM

There was some.  They were also trying to make things different at the voting places... distance from people in lines, hand sanitizer etc.  Probably should have delayed the voting, or made completely mail in.  State-by-State process there.

You've got the Oklahoma Governor out over the weekend in a crowed restaurant saying, "Go out."  You've got the California Congressman saying "Go out to dinner."   So that doesn't help messaging either.  (Though Nunes walked back his comments later saying he meant carry out.)   You've got the silly pop star and her dumb comments. 

Our messaging and actions have to become consistent across the board. Hard to do when everyone has a microphone, and society is divided to the point we don't agree on what are facts.  

Personally, I think a lot of what is being said is being exaggerated.

I think that’s a good thing because they are trying to scare people, which is what they should be doing.

Scaring people is probably the only thing that will get them to be smart.

If they aren’t smart, this could get really bad and I think that’s the message they are trying to convey.

I agree with your point but if you are going to halt everything, the election should be halted too, at least for the time being.

At the very least, end the primary, declare Biden the winner (he’s going to win anyway) and give everything a rest for a little while.

We can’t pick and choose what we want to close down and don’t. This isn’t a situation where you only put one toe in the water.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:57 AM

Personally, I think a lot of what is being said is being exaggerated.

I think that’s a good thing because they are trying to scare people, which is what they should be doing.

Scaring people is probably the only thing that will get them to be smart.

If they aren’t smart, this could get really bad and I think that’s the message they are trying to convey.

I agree with your point but if you are going to halt everything, the election should be halted too, at least for the time being.

At the very least, end the primary, declare Biden the winner (he’s going to win anyway) and give everything a rest for a little while.

We can’t pick and choose what we want to close down and don’t. This isn’t a situation where you only put one toe in the water.

Re: Primaries... I can see pushing them back, and making mail-in.  That probably should be done.  Of course it's more than the Presidential race (which is definitely over as you said), and it's also all of the local races.  

Re: November.... we  should be making adjustments now. 

It's criminal imo that we can file our taxes on-line, but we can't find a secure (and Nationally uniform way) for us to vote online. 

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:04 AM

Re: Primaries... I can see pushing them back, and making mail-in.  That probably should be done.  Of course it's more than the Presidential race (which is definitely over as you said), and it's also all of the local races.  

It's criminal imo that we can file our taxes on-line, but we can't find a secure (and Nationally uniform way) for us to vote online. 

They can’t even figure out how to properly vote in person. I have zero faith they can figure it out online.

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

Taxes are comparatively easy, because the IRS already knows most of the information. If something goes wrong, they can work backwards and fix it.

Voting is different, because you need redundancies. And the best way to do that is to make sure there is a paper trail. Mail-in voting would work, but online voting would be much more complicated.

@DJ_McCann

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

It’s likely a man made virus they were keeping under wraps to use as a war tactic down the road.

I agree..F them and how they handled it.

This is why I can’t get behind all the stuff about the administration botching things.

This was already in the country before we even knew about it. It was getting in one way or another.

Nothing Trump (or any President) could have done to stop it.

This is all on them. It is interesting that Trump has done a lot of stuff China doesn’t like (trade agreement) and right before the election, this happens. I know that’s conspiracy House of Cards crap but I do believe stuff like that happens. Not saying it did here but wouldn’t surprise me.

I don't really want to go down this road. 

It's a time of crisis, and I don't want to spend current time pointing fingers. 

When we get past this, I think we can look back and evaluate. 

But that said... a lot of what we're facing is self-inflicted pain, and the ramifications of decisions we've made the last few years. At-least in-terms of amplification.  

Re: China and this being man made.  There's nothing to really indicate that.  If it's proven later, lord help them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=