10405 replies to this topic

#21 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:55 AM

Part of why I watch CBS Sunday Morning. Really put things into perspective without the fear mongering.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:58 AM

I worry about this. I'm in my last semester at Towson. They already had one professor removed because they thought he had it, and he didn't. (I guess he's back, didn't hear a follow up). They had a group of students and staff members studying abroad in Italy return early and are currently in quarantine. 

They're being proactive. But i wonder if they will jump the gun. On the other hand, if they close campus and the switch the curriculum to online, I won't be mad about that. 

I've been having a debate about this with some friends recently why the public school systems don't have this already set up as an alternative. We are in AA, and they use GSuite at school, and have blackboard set up. So they could easily set a classroom for each teacher, post assignments, and let kids turn them in through GSuite. We've already used the functionality of it before when our oldest got Pneumonia.

The two arguments against it are the kids that don't get consistent meals at home, they are providing 2 meals a day to those kids who would then go without, and the parents who are using school as free day care as well because they work and would have to take off to be with them. I understand you cant just force that on people. Way too many 2 income families these days with cost of living, but it's interesting to know that if something happened, like my niece who got a major concussion recently and hasn't been able to get through a full day of school for 3 weeks, there are easy ways to make the same education work.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#23 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

For me, specifically? Not concerned at all. For my extended family/friends? Slight concern. Nothing more.

But in the realm of people that (and I think it's been mentioned here) do not have insurance, and will absolutely refuse to foot that bill to get checked (whether it's due to paranoia or not)...you're just making things a ton worse for the rest of us. 

I mean, maybe these check-ups should all be free? IJS. 

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

It's impacted .000018% of the world population (90,000 cases to a world population of 5 billion). Meanwhile, regular influenza has impacted .003% of the world population this season (15 million cases). Just some perspective.

While I'm on board with people thinking it's overhyped, I also don't think we've seen the worst of it, and there's certainly some caution that could be exercised.  We're at the tip of the iceberg with novel coronavirus, while the flu season is at the tail end of its season; coronavirus was just discovered a little over 2 months ago, and we don't know how long it will continue on for.  Furthermore, there's a vaccine for the flu that reduces its mortality by 75%, while there's no vaccine for Coronavirus and its mortality rate is over 10x as high.

#25 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

You guys apparently don’t know what free means. :)

(Sorry I couldn’t help myself either)

You know what I meant by free, sir. LOL

#26 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

6 dead in Washington State.

@ChaosLex

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:19 PM

Well this is great. I fly to Tampa airport in 10 days and they confirmed that one of the people who got coronavirus in the Tampa area flew through that airport and visited northern Italy.

Ugh.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:54 PM

Pedro arriving in Tampa like...

fSJwZKs.jpg

• Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

https://www.rollings...america-960309/

#30 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:35 PM

Interesting...

Matt Fuller@MEPFuller· 22m
Truly stunning to hear some Republicans advocate for free Coronavirus testing and treatment for the uninsured. Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.), one of the most anti-ACA members: “You can look at it as socialized medicine, but in the face of an outbreak, a pandemic, what’s your options?”

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

It is confirmed to be here in the community where I live. I'm a relatively healthy person, so I'm not that frightened of what will happen if I get it. But because it spreads so easily (since many carry it for a week or more without even realizing they have it) and that for some it can be serious and even fatal, I think there is plenty of reason for concern. Obviously for those who are more susceptible to serious illness and death. And even for those who aren't, a pandemic can spark hysteria that would impact many, many others' lives.

On a somewhat humorous note, the stores here can't keep enough hand sanitizer on the shelves lately. It's like trying to buy toilet paper in Baltimore right before a blizzard is predicted to hit.

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:48 PM

It’s interesting (and a big relief if 100% true) that children seem to get the mildest symptoms and least complications from it.

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:23 PM

It’s interesting (and a big relief if 100% true) that children seem to get the mildest symptoms and least complications from it.

Of those .2% numbers, I ready earlier that 80% of those were people that had pre-existing other conditions and caught the flu on top of it. And much larger chunks 50+ years old.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

Of those .2% numbers, I ready earlier that 80% of those were people that had pre-existing other conditions and caught the flu on top of it. And much larger chunks 50+ years old.

Of course.

Did you need to see the stats to know this is likely the case?

I would bet a good amount of the people who have died would have died from the regular flu.

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Of course.

Did you need to see the stats to know this is likely the case?

I would bet a good amount of the people who have died would have died from the regular flu.

Just showing the manipulation of statistics. 80% of .2 means .16 of those deaths were people that had something else and were already at severe risk. That leaves .04 which is much closer to the normal flu numbers. If we had the breakdown of those that were like 70+ etc. we could probably chip away more of that too.

@JeremyMStrain

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

Just showing the manipulation of statistics. 80% of .2 means .16 of those deaths were people that had something else and were already at severe risk. That leaves .04 which is much closer to the normal flu numbers. If we had the breakdown of those that were like 70+ etc. we could probably chip away more of that too.

Which is why much of the outcry is drummed up media bs.

People want to point to the economy..and it’s true but it’s true because people listen to what the media tells them and it’s doomsday out there for those morons.

It’s unfortunate and it’s not something you ignore but it’s the catastrophe many are making it out to be.

I know several people in the medical field and they are laughing at the way people are acting about this.

#37 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

https://www.arcgis.c...423467b48e9ecf6

• Adam Wolff likes this
@ChaosLex

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

This better not mess with my trip to Aruba later this month.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

https://www.arcgis.c...423467b48e9ecf6

Looking at that makes me want to click on Madagascar and make sure their port is still open.

@DJ_McCann

#40 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

Looking at that makes me want to click on Madagascar and make sure their port is still open.

Man I could NEVER get Madagascar in that game!

• JeremyStrain likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=