• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#2 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

Good article.  I still think Locks should have done better last year than what he did.  No question both lines were an issue and I understand that that's where it starts, but the rest of the team was terrible too.  Even when the line did hold Josh Jackson was awful.  You routinely had situations where an opposing receiver would catch a ball with no defender within 15 yards of him.  Blown assignments galore in the defensive backfield and offensive line.  That's not all on Locksley but that team last year certainly looked like a poorly coached team in all respects. 

There are a lot of rumors about a pretty unhappy locker room, some guys getting unfair treatment, some guys not really buying into what Locksley was selling.  Which seemed odd to me because those relationships have always been his bread and butter.  Maybe those were Durkin guys, not sure.

It's going to be really hard for him to "push" guys at MD right now given the McNair tragedy.  I would imagine it's an extremely difficult position to be in as a head coach, and I do appreciate him wanting to come here to try to right the ship.  I just remain very skeptical based on what I saw last year.

That being said, I think his recruiting class this year was frankly pretty amazing given the state of this program.  As long as he's here I'll certainly support him and root for his program.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Can't really disagree with anything there. Locksley wasn't the best guy to take over the program, but he was by far the most logical choice among candidates that would have taken the job at the time. Whether he'll end up being anything more than a temporary caretaker who (hopefully) stockpiles some local talent for the next guy remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic. I can't see the 2020 season having better results than last year's 3-9; and at some point his local ties, "family" atmosphere and endless talk of movements aren't going to matter to quality recruits. I only hope he can post a few good wins to pump some real energy into the program before it's too late for him.

Interesting that you mention Dr. Pines. I wasn't aware he had a son who played soccer at UM. I've always believed the leadership at UM has been a roadblock to athletic success, and it's a problem that dates back through several regimes. It's a very low bar to simply expect the next president to understand and embrace the role athletics plays for the university better than Loh has, but I like what I've read about Pines so far.

I'll be interested to see what Pines' taking over means for Damon Evans' future. Evans has a track record of being able to raise and invest money in the programs that will generate the most return, and it seems like he's doing that now. But I don't think I can ever get past the way he bumbled the response following McNair's death, and it leads me to believe his indiscretions at Georgia were not just an aberration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=