Photo

2020 NFL General Talk (Tampa Bay Wins SB 55)

• Please log in to reply
2028 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Im ok with a 17 game schedule . Prefer to keep the playoffs at 6 teams.

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

I hate odd numbers. 17 is an odd number. Home and away different amounts? The schedule build for 16 weeks is perfect.

Ever go out to eat with as group of two or four and the appetizer is three pieces? Odd numbers suck.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

Yea, the odd number is dumb.

How will that be determined? Will it be everyone plays at a foreign site?

Right now, it’s 8 home and 8 away. Where does the odd game play?

The reason I don’t mind the expanded playoffs is because I like the idea that only the top seed gets a bye.

I would be fine with keeping it as is but one extra team isn’t a big deal.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

https://www.espn.com...ces-drug-charge

What a dipshit

#25 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Why do they need change anything (other than to make more money)?

• NewMarketSean likes this

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

The expansion of the playoffs is all about the 2 additional playoff games. They'll get more TV revenue from that. But it'll change the fabric of the game. Last year, Pittsburgh, who is as mediocre as they come, would've made it as the #7 seed. They would've played KC and got owned. Pure greed, from a league that already absolutely cleans up revenue wise. I hate the playoff expanded expansion. Terrible decision.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

The expansion of the playoffs is all about the 2 additional playoff games. They'll get more TV revenue from that. But it'll change the fabric of the game. Last year, Pittsburgh, who is as mediocre as they come, would've made it as the #7 seed. They would've played KC and got owned. Pure greed, from a league that already absolutely cleans up revenue wise. I hate the playoff expanded expansion. Terrible decision.

The players want it too. It’s get them more money.

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:10 PM

The players want it too. It’s get them more money.

And more opportunity to win, potentially. I'm sure it's an awful feeling being a player on the 1st team out. But the NFL playoff structure is perfect, I think it's the last thing that needed to change. 

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

And more opportunity to win, potentially. I'm sure it's an awful feeling being a player on the 1st team out. But the NFL playoff structure is perfect, I think it's the last thing that needed to change. 

You won’t even pay attention to it within a year or 2.

Sure, there will be years when the 7th team sucks.

But other years, that wont be the case.

How much do you pay attention to 68 teams instead of 64 teams in March? You want to talk about perfection...the NCAAT was perfect. It changed slightly and it really means nothing and takes away nothing.

#30 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

XFL is drawing 3 to 4 million viewers. 

This is why the NFL wants to add games in the season and in the playoffs.  They would have 16 playoff teams if not for the public outcry of watering it down.  The NFL is looking for a 7-8 billion TV deal in the next round of negotiations with the advancements in the next CBA.

@Olsen_Don

#31 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

I haven't seen any of the specifics for the extra game besides it could be a neutral site game. If its switched to every other year 9 home game schedule how are season tickets effected.

#32 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:49 PM

I can't attest to neutral sites, but the NFL wants to explore playing additional games in Great Britain (London games maxed, wish to compete in Glasgow or Edinburgh Scotland), Mexico (Mexico City and Guadalajara) and Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver).  The NFL wants to expand regular season games into Ireland Germany and possibly France down the road.

@Olsen_Don

#33 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

So I saw this morning the league is going to give Burfict another chance. Will his chances continue until he seriously injures someone for the league to finally say enough is enough.?

#34 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

I don't see how the NFL can institute a 17 game schedule unless every team is getting a neutral site game.  There are already inequities between division and conference teams in the schedule, but they are slight compared to having some teams with 9 home games and others with 8.  It will also be interesting to see how they determine who that 17th game is with.  Right now there is a neat little formula that decides each teams opponents.  Not sure how they will determine that 17th game.  They should just leave well enough alone.  16 games with 6 in the playoffs makes perfect sense.  Which of course is why they will change it.   

#35 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

Based on what I read this morning, the 17 game schedule would indeed be a 9/8 home game schedule in alternating years.  I personally think that sucks.  Nothing mentioned about the tags except to say that if the players vote yes on the CBA, it would impact this year's free agency.  That could simply be an increase in cap money available for the players.  There would be no extra bye week.  Only 3 preseason games with 2 weeks between the 3rd and the season opener.  Rosters would expand by two players both total and game day activations.  Padded practices would be reduced from 28 to 16 in training camp with a limit on joint practices. 

So they add an extra game and reduce training camp full practices.  Makes the first two weeks just an extension of preseason, only they count in the standings.  Personally I hope the players vote this down. 

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

Cap going up, somewhere between 200 M to 300 million.

Big raise in the minimum salary.

Both sides are printing $$$

@mikeghg

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Glad to see more and more star players are voting this ridiculous CBA down.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:12 AM

Based on what I read this morning, the 17 game schedule would indeed be a 9/8 home game schedule in alternating years. I personally think that sucks. Nothing mentioned about the tags except to say that if the players vote yes on the CBA, it would impact this year's free agency. That could simply be an increase in cap money available for the players. There would be no extra bye week. Only 3 preseason games with 2 weeks between the 3rd and the season opener. Rosters would expand by two players both total and game day activations. Padded practices would be reduced from 28 to 16 in training camp with a limit on joint practices.

So they add an extra game and reduce training camp full practices. Makes the first two weeks just an extension of preseason, only they count in the standings. Personally I hope the players vote this down.

NFL really wants an 18 game season. I think this us a step towards that.
  • cprenegade likes this

#39 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

So what's up with the CBA vote? Tags have to be in place by the 12th. With the end of the current CBA teams can use 2. When the new CBA gets approved its back to 1.

Haven't seen any reasons for a hold up.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

CBS Sports: 2020 NFL Free Agency: 10 bold predictions from Tom Brady's landing spot to three surprising trades
https://www.cbssport...prising-trades/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=