158 replies to this topic

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

Definitely soccer, but basketball is by far the biggest global sport of the Big 4 US leagues.

#122 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Basketball has certainly become more global, but it is not close to the most popular sport in the world. That would be soccer, and it's not very close.

I thought I read that Basketball was followed in more countries than any other sport, but maybe I'm mistaken.

#123 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

I really think Jeter is as big as Kobe in the US. Super rare to say that about a baseball player but hes been the biggest baseball name in casual circles in a long time.

#124 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

Basketball is most popular sport in the world. I feel as though its biggest stars will always be some of the biggest public figures regardless of country or region.
Steph Curry, will not a perfect comparison, is the kind of player that I think would have a similarly shocking impact on the world.

Curry is a good one.

He’s the second most influential player in the history of the sport.

#125 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

The Washington Post suspended a writer, Felicia Sonmez, for tweeting about the Colorado sexual assault case.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#126 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

The Washington Post suspended a writer, Felicia Sonmez, for tweeting about the Colorado sexual assault case.

Reminds me of the time I got neg repped for calling Michael Jackson a child molester in the middle of his weepy RIP thread at OH.

• russsnyder likes this

#127 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

There’s a lot to question in that story but it is part of him and people are putting him on a pedestal, so it’s not unfair to bring it up in the right context.

I don’t know if it needs to be brought up now though, especially with his wife and daughters obviously grieving.

#128 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Ernie Johnson did a great job with the show tonight. Jerry West and Shaq had some great stories.

#129 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

https://twitter.com/...9662004226?s=21
  • Mackus and B00E00N00 like this

#130 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

This is the sort of thing I dream I would do if I were in the same position. But deep down, I know I wouldn't very often, excusing it as that my life, work, etc was getting in the way and I just didn't have time.

I hope the other stories alluded to in this are all made public now and inspire other athletes and public figures to make similarly wonderful use of their fame and power to improve somebody's day just by showing up.

#131 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

https://twitter.com/...8155195392?s=21
  • B00E00N00 likes this

#132 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

Reports this morning saying that the Chopper missed clearing mountains by about 20-30 feet. Ugh - that is just so maddening. How can that happen? If it's that foggy, why not, at a minimum, fly at a slightly higher altitude just to be on the safe side given the visibility issues? (I know NOTHING about flying - sorry if I sound ignorant here, just venting)

#133 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

There’s a lot to question in that story but it is part of him and people are putting him on a pedestal, so it’s not unfair to bring it up in the right context.

I don’t know if it needs to be brought up now though, especially with his wife and daughters obviously grieving.

I think it's fair to question the timing.

I do think that at some point it will be an interesting litmus test on our stances on these issues, and I am a bit surprised that she would have been suspended for tweeting about it, though in fairness I don't know what she wrote.

#134 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

I think it's fair to question the timing.

I do think that at some point it will be an interesting litmus test on our stances on these issues, and I am a bit surprised that she would have been suspended for tweeting about it, though in fairness I don't know what she wrote.

She wasn't suspended for what she wrote about Kobe.

She started receiving threats based on what she wrote, and posted them on her social media. The Post claimed that this violated their social media policy, and suspended her based on that.

Basically, they decided to punish a journalist receiving death threats over reported factual information because she made those threats public. Which while possibly being one of those "You're technically correct--the best kind of correct" situations, is still a bad look for the paper.

• ChaosLex likes this
@DJ_McCann

#135 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

Reports this morning saying that the Chopper missed clearing mountains by about 20-30 feet. Ugh - that is just so maddening. How can that happen? If it's that foggy, why not, at a minimum, fly at a slightly higher altitude just to be on the safe side given the visibility issues? (I know NOTHING about flying - sorry if I sound ignorant here, just venting)

It was definitely pilot error based on everything they have said.

It’s a shame that people are dead because someone did their job poorly.

#136 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

That is a tremendous story. You are what you do when nobody is watching.

#137 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

She wasn't suspended for what she wrote about Kobe.

She started receiving threats based on what she wrote, and posted them on her social media. The Post claimed that this violated their social media policy, and suspended her based on that.

Basically, they decided to punish a journalist receiving death threats over reported factual information because she made those threats public. Which while possibly being one of those "You're technically correct--the best kind of correct" situations, is still a bad look for the paper.

I think there were mistakes on both sides with this story.

I think it's remarkably poor judgment and in poor taste to tweet about something negative when the person in question has just passed on and everyone is in mourning. Nobody shows up to a funeral and trashes someone during the eulogy. That doesn't deserve death threats, but anger is frequently just sadness that a person can't process. It's not right, but I can understand it.

With that being said, free speech is still a thing, and they better have had a damned good reason to suspend her. Technically violating a rule may qualify as grounds to do so, but it doesn't look good at all.

#138 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

I think there were mistakes on both sides with this story.

I think it's remarkably poor judgment and in poor taste to tweet about something negative when the person in question has just passed on and everyone is in mourning. Nobody shows up to a funeral and trashes someone during the eulogy. That doesn't deserve death threats, but anger is frequently just sadness that a person can't process. It's not right, but I can understand it.

She wasn't at the funeral making a shitty eulogy. You are, whether consciously or not, normalizing behavior that in absolutely no way should be normalized--it's already happening enough in our society.

@DJ_McCann

#139 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

With that being said, free speech is still a thing, and they better have had a damned good reason to suspend her. Technically violating a rule may qualify as grounds to do so, but it doesn't look good at all.

Free speech doesn't apply to discipline by your employer, just from the government (although I'd like to claim free speech to get my reputation point back at OH).

#140 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

I think it's remarkably poor judgment and in poor taste to tweet about something negative when the person in question has just passed on and everyone is in mourning.

I guess my issue is that a lot of people would be pissed (and rightfully so) when Michael Vick dies, if the media is nothing but a total wankfest for him. In other words, talking about how he led the way for Lamar, Watson, etc., and completely overlooking his transgressions off the field.

Yes, the charges were dropped, but the fact he apologized (not to mention settle a multi-million $ lawsuit with the claimant afterwards) would lead me to believe the things that happened in that hotel room weren’t entirely kosher...

Like it or not, the allegations made against him are part of his narrative. And I’m saying this as someone else who’s significantly saddened by his passing.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=