Photo

College Football 2020: General Talk (Alabama Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

Clemson opens as favorite to win 2020 CFP

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

Balt Sun: The 42 nonconference college football games to look forward to in 2020

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:28 PM

ESPN: Way-Too-Early College Football Top 25: Where do LSU, Clemson land?
https://www.espn.com...su-clemson-land

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

Another stupid preseason poll. BSU ranked #18 is just silly. The author actually wrote a decent paragraph about the status of the team. Then turns around and gives us #18.....lol.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

Another stupid preseason poll. BSU ranked #18 is just silly. The author actually wrote a decent paragraph about the status of the team. Then turns around and gives us #18.....lol.

They have to replace their entire starting DL and almost their entire starting OL. While preseason rankings are often folly whose purpose are strictly to spur debate, the losses BSU has to account for in the trenches make #18 seem like a fair starting point to me.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:26 AM

They have to replace their entire starting DL and almost their entire starting OL. While preseason rankings are often folly whose purpose are strictly to spur debate, the losses BSU has to account for in the trenches make #18 seem like a fair starting point to me.

Surprised you give us that much credit. I think we may be good after a month or so but preseason I would have us unranked. Losing most of our experience on the O line (which wasn't that good to start with) and a QB who has shown he can't escape big hits is a bad combo.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

Surprised you give us that much credit. I think we may be good after a month or so but preseason I would have us unranked. Losing most of our experience on the O line (which wasn't that good to start with) and a QB who has shown he can't escape big hits is a bad combo.

And here I just assumed you thought they were being underrated at #18. My bad.  :lol:

As always, they are a pretty well-coached team, so I do give them the benefit of a doubt that they can get all those inexperienced guys up to speed quickly. The continuity they have with their staff is pretty solid, given that their coaches are frequently targeted for bigger jobs thanks to their success. I like that they often promote from within...like how they just replaced their OC with the WR coach, then brought back Matt Miller to coach WRs. That's the sign of a good culture.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Mike,

Promoting from within is typically a good thing. And I think in the case of promoting Keisau to OC and especially in bringing Miller back to coach the WRs are very good. Miller is probably my favorite all time BSU receiver. The guy was just money on running routes and catching the ball.

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Things seem to be going well for Randy Edsall at UConn. 26 of his players have entered the transfer portal since December, and that number likely isn't finished growing. And lest you think that his 2020 recruiting class will be of help to him, it ranked 118th nationally.

247Sports: https://247sports.co...1pq2YDtHA-lRAeI

“Guys going into the portal, to me, they’ve got issues. They’ve got issues. That’s why they’re going into the portal.” -Randy Edsall

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Lol, wow. Quick reminder of how awful and out of touch he is.
  • Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

Things seem to be going well for Randy Edsall at UConn. 26 of his players have entered the transfer portal since December, and that number likely isn't finished growing. And lest you think that his 2020 recruiting class will be of help to him, it ranked 118th nationally.

247Sports: https://247sports.co...1pq2YDtHA-lRAeI

“Guys going into the portal, to me, they’ve got issues. They’ve got issues. That’s why they’re going into the portal.” -Randy Edsall

Damn 26 guys.  Are they going to field a team.  Edsal and UConn may need to step down a level or two.  Maybe a Beer league, flag football team.

@mikeghg

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, their "issue" is they quickly realized they signed up to play for a coach who doesn't understand how present-day college sports works and refuses to adapt. So he arrogantly thinks everyone is going to bend over backwards to do it his old-school way. As his 6-30 record since returning to UConn would appear to indicate, it's working out just dandy.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

Add the NCAA to the list of those who don't give a damn what Edsall thinks.

ESPN: NCAA Studies Idea of 1 Transfer with no Penalty

Oh, and it's about damn time they do this!

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

Good start, but I don't think there should be any restrictions. There aren't restrictions in coaches or non-athletic students. If another school wants you, you can go.

#15 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:10 PM

Good start, but I don't think there should be any restrictions. There aren't restrictions in coaches or non-athletic students. If another school wants you, you can go.

I've always thought that it's ridiculous that a coach can leave and go to another team, but a player who committed to play for that coach is penalized for wanting to also leave.

But what I never thought about until now is, how would you ever count on having a full team? Example - next year for the Terps bball team, Cowan will graduate, Stix will be in the NBA. What if Wiggins, instead of being the go to guy, wants to go somewhere else where they have a chance to win a championship instead of on a team that will be lucky to make the tournament? So he can transfer and then the Terps are F'd even more. He would never make that move if he would have to sit out a year. But this gives everyone options.

It's great for player empowerment and I support that for the most part but it could get very dicey. 

@PeterDiLutis

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

247Sports: https://247sports.co...1pq2YDtHA-lRAeI

Sounds like he’s gonna need to utilize the transfer portal to even field a team. The irony. Lol. A team full of guys with “issues”
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:45 PM

I've always thought that it's ridiculous that a coach can leave and go to another team, but a player who committed to play for that coach is penalized for wanting to also leave.

But what I never thought about until now is, how would you ever count on having a full team? Example - next year for the Terps bball team, Cowan will graduate, Stix will be in the NBA. What if Wiggins, instead of being the go to guy, wants to go somewhere else where they have a chance to win a championship instead of on a team that will be lucky to make the tournament? So he can transfer and then the Terps are F'd even more. He would never make that move if he would have to sit out a year. But this gives everyone options.

It's great for player empowerment and I support that for the most part but it could get very dicey. 

I mean, the honest response to the diceyness and f'edness is, "So what?"

That's not student's problem. Their entire purpose is to be in the best environment possible for themselves, whatever form that takes.

@DJ_McCann

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

BSL: College Football in the Age of COVID-19, Part I

https://www.baltimor...l-age-covid-19/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

CBSSports.com: Will the 2020 college football season be cancelled? Coaches, ADs weigh possibility and impact.

I'll have an article of my own thoughts on this subject posted this Friday.

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

Man, if we lose the college football season that might be the final straw for me. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=