789 replies to this topic

#41 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Well it's worked all year for the Ravens, I feel like they've only gotten one game from Nantz and Romo if any (maybe I'm misremembering that).

I'm surprised Mahomes/Watson is thought to be a better draw than the MVP.

If we're being unbiased, KC vs Houston, on paper, looks like the better game. I think KC smokes Houston personally. But I can understand why they would view Mahomes vs Watson as a better draw than Lamar vs Tannehill.

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

Lamar right now vs. my 84 year old grandmother with Alzheimer's is a better draw than that, IMHO.
  • JordanKough likes this

#43 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

Well it's worked all year for the Ravens, I feel like they've only gotten one game from Nantz and Romo if any (maybe I'm misremembering that). 

The Ravens did get Nantz and Romo for at least one game that I remember.  I specifically remember Romo commenting on how well Lamar sees the field, almost Brady-like.  It was a fairly recent game.  Maybe the last Browns game? 

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:08 AM

The Ravens did get Nantz and Romo for at least one game that I remember.  I specifically remember Romo commenting on how well Lamar sees the field, almost Brady-like.  It was a fairly recent game.  Maybe the last Browns game? 

Yep

#45 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

I think the two star QBs is looked at as a better crowd draw.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

TV market size a factor perhaps?  Houston is #7 and KC is #32 compared to Baltimore at #26 and Nashville #27.  DC is #6 though, so if you counted the Ravens at DC/Baltimore metro, maybe that neutralizes it.  I've only got guesses as to how the commercial rates that CBS can charge would vary depending on the expected market size, but maybe they get to charge more for the bigger markets and even more if they assign their #1 team?

#47 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

I think the two star QBs is looked at as a better crowd draw.

That would be my assumption as well.  

Seriously though Dan Fouts can take a hike

#48 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Well, that and at this point, no one is tuning in or out because of who is covering the game. Lamar is a highlight reel waiting to happen whether Romo or Fouts is calling the game.

I personally, think Romo is an idiot, and doesn't get maligned for miscalling about 2/3 of what he sees when it happens, but regardless of that, him and Nantz are just a way better listen overall. 

The problem isn't so much who got the better game, it's the fact that CBS can't get an actually decent B team to call NFL games these days. Fouts/Eagle are just awful...

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Well, that and at this point, no one is tuning in or out because of who is covering the game. Lamar is a highlight reel waiting to happen whether Romo or Fouts is calling the game.

I personally, think Romo is an idiot, and doesn't get maligned for miscalling about 2/3 of what he sees when it happens, but regardless of that, him and Nantz are just a way better listen overall. 

The problem isn't so much who got the better game, it's the fact that CBS can't get an actually decent B team to call NFL games these days. Fouts/Eagle are just awful...

I thought it was just me, who didn't like Romo.  He talks way to much and his ass kissing of Tom Brady, makes me want to throw up.

Fouts is worse though.   

One of the good parts of going, is I do not have to hear either.

• NewMarketSean and JordanKough like this
@mikeghg

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

Rapaport:

#Ravens RB Mark Ingram, not spotted at practice by reporters on the scene, was essentially full speed last week on his calf. But he felt some tightness, source said, and pulled back to avoid re-injury. He still has a chance to play the #Titans  on Saturday.

Ravens brought in Paul Perkins to the PS today. Wonder if they are worried about Ingram not playing?

#51 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

I'm working on another article about how the Titans defend, but the early teaser is they commit hard in the front 7 and spy mobile QBs. They'll also regularly rush 4 in some funky interations, drop a deep safety and a spy, and cover the reamining 5 guys with man, with a greed dog blitz for anyone who stays in. 

I think this game is going to be the Ravens exploiting the man single high looks and the Titans rotational looks, they'll go showing Single High and then rotate the whole defense into Cover 2/Quarters. It's good presnap deception but if you pick it up, it's beatable. If they stay in those single high looks, Lamar is going to pick them apart all game long. 

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

https://twitter.com/...3240181761?s=21

#53 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:54 PM

https://twitter.com/...3240181761?s=21

My biggest question is...who is #28?!? lol...Also, the Ravens did this well because they had Suggs. Correa is not going to be able to block the Ravens big tight ends. And the Ravens would assuredly put Andrews on the weak side of this play that they weren't running to as well. 

I'll add that this isn't how Pees is going to attack the option read from the Ravens it's how everyone already has been. 

I don't know how to post my own picture that's copy and pasted here. But, the play to compare this to is the Houston game, it's 9:24 left in the 2nd quarter. Ravens are in 13 personnel kind of like he shows here. Nearly identical formation. Execpt, they are in Shotgun not pistol and Andrews is in the slot with Roberts next to him. The Ravens just run a double post route here, and the FS follows Andrews and Roberts is open for the TD. There is a very strong chance the Titans play this defensively the same way in single high with man underneath and a spy on Lamar. I'd fully expect Lamar to be checking into a pass if that's the defensive look he gets because that's almost a dead to rights giveaway for single high for what I've been watching from Tennessee. 

That being said, there is another play in the Houston game that almost plays out like this guys says. It's at 5:08 in the 1st (those are the only two times they are in 13 personnel in the first half). But this time there is a bunch of TEs to the outside and it's Boykin on the outside. It's in Pistol, Andrews motions all the way to the slot of the other side (so they actually get the same formation as the TD pass I referenced earlier that comes later). Hurst runs a wham block which pulls the MLB. 

The safety chases Andrews in motion, the OLB stays with Lamar, the weak side ILB is essentially out of the play by Hurst running the reverse wham away from the play. Ingram runs wide of Boyle to the right and the play is blown up. But, the C and the LG double the NT as the tweet indicates, once Skura gets his leverage, Bozeman peels off. And there is a massive lane opening up, Bozeman is free to block the WILB that's coming back from Hurst. If Ingram stays under Boyle, this plays is a massive 20+ yard gain. 

I'll stick both of these plays in my artcile that I'm going to post tomorrow. 

#54 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

That would be my assumption as well.  

Seriously though Dan Fouts can take a hike

He's horrible.  Probably the worst out there in the market.  My guess is that the Ravens drew the 8:25 game because of Lamar Jackson. It's prime time and they want him on the biggest stage. 

#55 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

I had forgotten that Pees was the DC that defended the Roman/Kap led 49ers.  That is an intriguing angle to the match up.  

This was an interesting article from Yardbarker.  I still think everything has to break right for Tennessee to pull the upset, but it isn't necessarily the upset of the century if it happens.

The goal-line stand was old-school, tough-guy football, and served notice how strong the Titans are defensively. Unlike Baltimore, Tennessee (10-7) has proved it can stop the run. The Titans are seventh in the league in yards per carry allowed (4.0), and advanced metrics are even more kind. Pro Football Focus gave Tennessee an 85.6 rush defense grade for the season, the best figure of any playoff team and third best in the NFL.

https://www.yardbark..._13132_30975548

#56 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

I had forgotten that Pees was the DC that defended the Roman/Kap led 49ers. That is an intriguing angle to the match up.

This was an interesting article from Yardbarker. I still think everything has to break right for Tennessee to pull the upset, but it isn't necessarily the upset of the century if it happens.

It feels like everything is lining up against the Ravens. Bad weather, Ingram still dealing with an injury, playing a team that does best what the Ravens defense does worst.

I don't know. I don't like this at all.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

It feels like everything is lining up against the Ravens. Bad weather, Ingram still dealing with an injury, playing a team that does best what the Ravens defense does worst.

I don't know. I don't like this at all.

Starting early for this game, I see :)
  • JamesGallden likes this

#58 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Starting early for this game, I see :)

Anyone who used to be on the Sun board will tell you that I can cause a reverse jinx with the best of them.
  • Mackus and JStruds like this

#59 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

Slide is absolutely right. I used to call his negativity the reverse Schleprock on The Sun board for anyone who remembers the Flintstones.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

https://twitter.com/...0346863618?s=21
  • NewMarketSean likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users