166 replies to this topic

#161 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

I don't think you can truly judge Ju-ju off of this year.  He only had a real QB for 6 quarters.  If you are going to say he isn't a #1 then neither is Marquis Brown.  Brown had 584 yards in 14 games, Ju-ju had 552 in 12 games.  Both had almost identical targets and receptions.  Very comparable except that Brown had the league MVP throwing the ball to him and Ju-ju had 2 guys who probably will be stocking shelves in a few years throwing to him.  Both were hurt a lot this year.  Ju-ju looked like he had a lot of trouble being the go to guy this year, but I will reserve judgement until he plays a full season with Roethlisberger and not two likely house painters.  Maybe he isn't a #1 guy, but I have to at least give him a chance with a real QB before declaring that.  Also remember that as much as AB likes to tweet that he is the greatest WR of all time, his numbers in games without Ben Roethlisberger are terrible.  Roethlisberger was able to find him in double coverage while the other guys had to check down to their 2nd or 3rd progressions giving him a lot less opportunities.  That's something AB seems to forget, and something that no doubt hurt Ju-ju as well.  

• mdrunning likes this

#162 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

I don't think you can truly judge Ju-ju off of this year.  He only had a real QB for 6 quarters.  If you are going to say he isn't a #1 then neither is Marquis Brown.  Brown had 584 yards in 14 games, Ju-ju had 552 in 12 games.  Both had almost identical targets and receptions.  Very comparable except that Brown had the league MVP throwing the ball to him and Ju-ju had 2 guys who probably will be stocking shelves in a few years throwing to him.  Both were hurt a lot this year.  Ju-ju looked like he had a lot of trouble being the go to guy this year, but I will reserve judgement until he plays a full season with Roethlisberger and not two likely house painters.  Maybe he isn't a #1 guy, but I have to at least give him a chance with a real QB before declaring that.  Also remember that as much as AB likes to tweet that he is the greatest WR of all time, his numbers in games without Ben Roethlisberger are terrible.  Roethlisberger was able to find him in double coverage while the other guys had to check down to their 2nd or 3rd progressions giving him a lot less opportunities.  That's something AB seems to forget, and something that no doubt hurt Ju-ju as well.  

I was not trying to trash JuJu, just do not see him as a true #1.  I also agree that Brown is not a #1 either.  Maybe both, develop into a #1

@mikeghg

#163 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

I was not trying to trash JuJu, just do not see him as a true #1. I also agree that Brown is not a #1 either. Maybe both, develop into a #1

A lot of guys weren't true number 1s when they came into the league. Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, and many others were not putting up great seasons in their first year.

#164 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

A lot of guys weren't true number 1s when they came into the league. Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, and many others were not putting up great seasons in their first year.

I think both could develop, but don't think either is there now.  I think receiver is the toughest position to make an immediate impact.

A lot of kids dominate CFB, because of raw talent, but need to learn to read coverage, get off press, etc. in the NFL.

@mikeghg

#165 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

I think both could develop, but don't think either is there now. I think receiver is the toughest position to make an immediate impact.
A lot of kids dominate CFB, because of raw talent, but need to learn to read coverage, get off press, etc. in the NFL.

Like it was stated before, it's hard to judge Juju off of this season. He had JV QBs all season, and played injured for most of the year. I'll hold judgement. It is very possible AB took so much coverage off of Juju that it made him look better than he is. But even so, when he got the ball in his hands, he was a monster after the catch.

#166 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:15 AM

Mark Andrews is our No. 1 receiver and it will remain that way as long as the Ravens have Lamar Jackson and run this kind of offense. When you're averaging over 30 points a game, who cares whether you have a true No.1 wide receiver?  I don't even think about it. Hollywood will probably never develop into that guy because it's going to be a challenge to just keep him on the field.  I think he compliments what they're doing because he's the one who will stretch the field.  Other than that, it's the tight end show here in Baltimore. 

• Mike B likes this

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Mark Andrews is our No. 1 receiver and it will remain that way as long as the Ravens have Lamar Jackson and run this kind of offense. When you're averaging over 30 points a game, who cares whether you have a true No.1 wide receiver?  I don't even think about it. Hollywood will probably never develop into that guy because it's going to be a challenge to just keep him on the field.  I think he compliments what they're doing because he's the one who will stretch the field.  Other than that, it's the tight end show here in Baltimore. 

Yea all good points.  

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=