• 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=3720

#2 weams

weams
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Great Stuff as usual. He is very consistant. He seems solid on the immediate onfield improvement with long term sustainability approach. Kinda ragged on the drafts which I don't mind.
A nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

#3 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Detailed, relevant questions, what a concept. Good stuff.

#4 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Great job Chris... excellent questions and kudos on getting an interview. Duq was pretty tight-lipped and generalistic in just about all of his resplies, but I knew going into it that that is his reputation.

#5 Andrew_G

Andrew_G
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

The first thing you have to recognize is that one of the primary tasks a front office executive has when talking to the media or the public is not to give away any valuable information. So there's a tendency to downplay and withhold and generally mislead without lying. That's just standard, since there's a premium on innovation in the sports world.

That all said, kudos to Chris on getting and giving a good interview. It cannot be understated how hungry I am for more of media work like this in Baltimore.
@gibsonandrew

#6 NCRaven

NCRaven
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Great interview, Chris, thanks!

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for reading, and the kind words all. I am really appreciative of Duquette taking the time to answer at all. I certainly recognize that he did not have to. In some of his answers, there is information provided by what he did not directly say.

#8 weams

weams
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I would love to hear your opinion on what those things might be
A nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Some of my takeaways:

1) There will be a further $ investment into the Pro Scouting side, but maybe not additional man power.
2) Further changes to the Player Development side could be forthcoming.
3) If he feels Cespedes is a difference making talent, he won't be scared by the asking price. If the O's do not bid at that level (or choose to bid at all), that would be Duquette saying he does not believe Cespedes to worth it. Simple enough concept I guess.
4) His comments about Jones, does not read to me as just words. He starts with reminding about Jones being a GG winner, and closes with saying he is valued in CF.
5) Hopes Wieters is an Oriole long-term. Does that mean he believes the ball is in Wieters court regarding an extension?

Have a few other thoughts, but I'm interested to hear what others see in his comments.

#10 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Awesome that you got this interview Chris. Great work, as always! Duquette gave somewhat general responses, but I still like his approach. Obviously, he's saying all the right things, which isn't very difficult.

I think we've all realized that the Orioles have been really bad for awhile because of some serious organizational issues. I'm pleased that DD seems intent on addressing those issues. I don't know that I've ever seen such a focus on changing things behind the scenes, which is refreshing. It certainly helps take away the disappointment that we haven't improved the on field product at all.

Again, great interview!

@AdamWolff

#11 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWayne's Bar and Grill, PA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Great interview, Chris! As usual Duq doesn't give up much info. :P I guess that's a good thing tho.
And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you grooving.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Some of my takeaways:

1) There will be a further $ investment into the Pro Scouting side, but maybe not additional man power.
2) Further changes to the Player Development side could be forthcoming.
3) If he feels Cespedes is a difference making talent, he won't be scared by the asking price. If the O's do not bid at that level (or choose to bid at all), that would be Duquette saying he does not believe Cespedes to worth it. Simple enough concept I guess.
4) His comments about Jones, does not read to me as just words. He starts with reminding about Jones being a GG winner, and closes with saying he is valued in CF.
5) Hopes Wieters is an Oriole long-term. Does that mean he believes the ball is in Wieters court regarding an extension?

Have a few other thoughts, but I'm interested to hear what others see in his comments.

Awesome interview, and very cool that you could get this done from Duquette himself, Kudos!

I thought that his answers RE: Wieters & Jones were almost identical, but that it was pretty telling that he said "he is very valued here" about Jones, yet specifically mentioned "We hope he is an Oriole for a long time" regarding Wieters.

With as calculated as he is with his responses, I don't think it's reading too much into it to think that he could have done that on purpose and have was perhaps trying to tell us something there. Your thoughts?

I also loved his quote on high priced international FA's:

“I’m not going to comment on individual players, but very generally, if there is a large expenditure needed for a player that we feel is a difference maker to the Orioles, then I believe I have the full support of ownership to do what is best for the organization and sign that player.”

Seriously though, again, just a great interview. You asked the questions no one else seems to ask in this city. Not that he answered all of them directly, but it was a great job nevertheless.

#13 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Congrats on getting the interview Chris. Quick meta-observation about the exchange. There were often 3 or 4 different questions within a single entry. When interviewing someone who is likely to be political in their responses, this provides an opportunity to ignore the more difficult and probing questions and instead answer the one out of four that is least demanding. DD did that multiple times here.

I think shortening the length of the questions and focusing on a single one each time, really boiling down to the essence of what you want to get at, leaves less escape routes for the interviewee and forces them onto the desired spot.

Really thoughtful and well-researched all around!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DaKittenz

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Congrats on getting the interview Chris. Quick meta-observation about the exchange. There were often 3 or 4 different questions within a single entry. When interviewing someone who is likely to be political in their responses, this provides an opportunity to ignore the more difficult and probing questions and instead answer the one out of four that is least demanding. DD did that multiple times here.

I think shortening the length of the questions and focusing on a single one each time, really boiling down to the essence of what you want to get at, leaves less escape routes for the interviewee and forces them onto the desired spot.

Some great advice here, that I will attempt to keep in-mind going forward! Often when I read back my interviews, I come back to a similar conclusion. As I'm writing them (with people I know I will not be able to interview often), I sometimes feel compelled to try and ask 'everything.'

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

The issue Chris has is he can't ask follow up questions because of the way the interviews are conducted...So, he almost to ask the follow up within the original question, thus asking them "everything", as he put it.

#16 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Chris, I bet your interviewing style would lend itself very well to having a radio show. You're obviously very knowledgeable about the people and topics you're discussing. I would have loved to hear you talk to DD for 15-20 minutes.

Perhaps a Baltimore Sports and Life Webcast/Radio show could be the next venture.. ;)

@AdamWolff

#17 dmwcg

dmwcg
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Chris, I bet your interviewing style would lend itself very well to having a radio show. You're obviously very knowledgeable about the people and topics you're discussing. I would have loved to hear you talk to DD for 15-20 minutes.

Perhaps a Baltimore Sports and Life Webcast/Radio show could be the next venture.. ;)

If memory serves me correctly, Chris was a finalist in a sports broadcasting competition 3 or 4 years ago. I'd love to go back and review any clips, but can't recall enough details to find it. I was highly impressed with his skills then, and I think you would be too. I've got weams on the hunt to see if he can locate anything.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

If memory serves me correctly, Chris was a finalist in a sports broadcasting competition 3 or 4 years ago. I'd love to go back and review any clips, but can't recall enough details to find it. I was highly impressed with his skills then, and I think you would be too. I've got weams on the hunt to see if he can locate anything.

Thanks guys. That was a contest with WNST, which was eventually won by Luke Jones.

At this point, I've done a fair amount of radio (http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=1529).

We have been considering a podcast for sometime. That was something I attempted to bring to OH, but there was no interest from the top. It is possible that something will be started here within the next month. Maybe involving Greg Pappas if he desires, and has the time.

#19 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

That sounds excellent Chris. You and Greg would definitely be great!

@AdamWolff

#20 Art Wing

Art Wing
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Great stuff as usual Chris. DD walked the line with his vague and political answers. I guess I'd behave in the same way if I was in his position.

Btw, why was this deleted from the OH? Was that by your request or others didn't want any overlap? Feel free to answer me in politico-speak if need be. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=