#341 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:10 AM

It was racially insensitive but not racist but I'm not sure a black guy could have gotten away with a comment like that about a white player. To me it was just odd because I never thought about anything like that being a factor in a football game.

Mildly insensitive.  He could have chosen better words.  But I pretty much agree with Sherman here 100%.

#342 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:10 AM

He could have chosen different words but the words he did choose weren’t offensive or racially motivated. And he certainly shouldn’t be vilified for them.

That’s really the point.

#343 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:16 AM

Mildly insensitive.  He could have chosen better words.  But I pretty much agree with Sherman here 100%.

Bottom line is in today's world, you just can't make comments like that.  People are too hyper-sensitive and will jump all over it.  Not too bright on his part and should have known better.  

#344 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:47 AM

I don't think "in today's world" is relevant. If this was said 15 years ago, I believe the reaction would be the same. And honestly, the backlash wasn't really that bad. Nobody suddenly thinks he's some closet racist or some shit. This isn't Limbaugh/McNabb.

The comment was dumb, he should have known better, and I think the suspension was warranted just as a stupidity tax. Like, come on dude.

HOWEVER, Whitlock actually had a good point (I KNOW, RIGHT???). Let's just say that there was an undiscovered advantage that Tim actually tripped over. If you could actually prove it, USE THAT SHIT. It's extremely rare that black people get an advantage based on the color of their skin. I mean...*shrug*

• Mike in STL likes this

#345 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

I don't think "in today's world" is relevant. If this was said 15 years ago, I believe the reaction would be the same. And honestly, the backlash wasn't really that bad. Nobody suddenly thinks he's some closet racist or some shit. This isn't Limbaugh/McNabb.

The comment was dumb, he should have known better, and I think the suspension was warranted just as a stupidity tax. Like, come on dude.

HOWEVER, Whitlock actually had a good point (I KNOW, RIGHT???). Let's just say that there was an undiscovered advantage that Tim actually tripped over. If you could actually prove it, USE THAT SHIT. It's extremely rare that black people get an advantage based on the color of their skin. I mean...*shrug*

This. All I said was it was idiotic. Because it was. Suspension, not fired is fine. Better off just not going there. Stupidity tax seems right. I don't recall this being a thing when CK was their QB running option plays, they have those black alternate jerseys. Or when they play Russ Wilson twice a year who is a black, option QB. 

Maybe he'd been thinking about it for a really long time, talking about it with his friends in bars, and finally it slipped out on a live broadcast.

• The Epic likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#346 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

This. All I said was it was idiotic. Because it was. Suspension, not fired is fine. Better off just not going there. Stupidity tax seems right. I don't recall this being a thing when CK was their QB running option plays, they have those black alternate jerseys. Or when they play Russ Wilson twice a year who is a black, option QB.

Maybe he'd been thinking about it for a really long time, talking about it with his friends in bars, and finally it slipped out on a live broadcast.

To show how dumb it was to say what he said I think a black broadcaster would have gotten the same backlash if he had said that about a black player. It wasn't a smart thing to say whether you believe it's true or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=