#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

DVOA has the Ravens with the 4th best defense and the 49ers with the second best defense. 

But the gap between them and us is huge.

This is such an intriguing game to me...maybe even moreso than NE.

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

From Harbaugh's interview I heard yesterday, he's not planning to play him.

He didn’t have a presser. What interview?
  • SportsGuy likes this

@fuzydunlop

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

DVOA has the Ravens with the 4th best defense and the 49ers with the second best defense.

But the gap between them and us is huge.

This is such an intriguing game to me...maybe even moreso than NE.

SF front 7 will be Lamars toughest test all season. They are stacked up front. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamar have a bad game this week.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

SF front 7 will be Lamars toughest test all season. They are stacked up front. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamar have a bad game this week.

Yea, I don't know to expect.

On one hand, this defense has given up 20 or more points 4 times, with one of those being against Pitt and Mason Rudolph...3 of those games have happened recently as well.  So, that certainly makes you think that they are gettable.

OTOH, sometimes you just match up well with a team.  The 49ers pass defense is by far the best in the league in terms of yards per game, which is impressive considering how many blow outs they have had.  Their run defense is pretty average, which is surprising to me.

I am just so intrigued by this match up and really looking forward to this game.  

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

Yea, I don't know to expect.

On one hand, this defense has given up 20 or more points 4 times, with one of those being against Pitt and Mason Rudolph...3 of those games have happened recently as well.  So, that certainly makes you think that they are gettable.

OTOH, sometimes you just match up well with a team.  The 49ers pass defense is by far the best in the league in terms of yards per game, which is impressive considering how many blow outs they have had.  Their run defense is pretty average, which is surprising to me.

I am just so intrigued by this match up and really looking forward to this game.  

Feels like an old school Ravens type win if they are able to win. Would be shocked by a blowout either way. But Russell Wilson managed to do just fine, at SF. Lamar just needs to stay patient and do his thing. I think they make enough plays to pull it out, and the Bank will be rocking. Going to be a good one. But not one like these last 5 weeks IMO.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

Feels like an old school Ravens type win if they are able to win. Would be shocked by a blowout either way. But Russell Wilson managed to do just fine, at SF. Lamar just needs to stay patient and do his thing. I think they make enough plays to pull it out, and the Bank will be rocking. Going to be a good one. But not one like these last 5 weeks IMO.

I think the matchup that determines the game is the 49ers offense vs our defense.

SF is 6th in the league in YPG.  They have the second best run offense (65 ypg worse than the Ravens!).  TO put that into perspective, if you combine SF and Miami, they still would be less rushing yards than the Ravens.  SF is also #2 in scoring, again behind the Ravens. b 11th best offense according to DVOA.

Both teams practice against elite running teams, so you wonder how that plays out as well.  Does that make these running games a little worse on Sunday and if so, which QB can make the plays in the passing game?

Jimmy G has had some clunker games this year but has generally played pretty well.  Still, he can get rattled.  

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

I guess my point is that to me this game is an indictment on how good the Ravens defense is.

They have been incredible recently...how do they hold up to the run this week?  I don't have much worry about the passing game although Kittle scares me.  Sanders and Samuel are good and they will get some catches but I don't expect them to hurt us unless the running game is excellent for SF.  They use a lot of the Kubiak stuff and Shannahan is a great offensive coach and play caller.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

I guess my point is that to me this game is an indictment on how good the Ravens defense is.

They have been incredible recently...how do they hold up to the run this week?  I don't have much worry about the passing game although Kittle scares me.  Sanders and Samuel are good and they will get some catches but I don't expect them to hurt us unless the running game is excellent for SF.  They use a lot of the Kubiak stuff and Shannahan is a great offensive coach and play caller.

This to me is a very exciting game.  Two really good teams, who depend on the run game.  I think the Ravens win, partly because they are home and because we IMO are better and have Lamar. I think it will be close, but If the Ravens blow out the 49ers, hell I will be buying plane tickets to Miami for the first week in February.

• JStruds likes this
@mikeghg

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

From Harbaugh's interview I heard yesterday, he's not planning to play him. 

Jeff Z:

Harbaugh didn’t want to make any predictions about Michael Pierce but he thinks there’s decent chance he’ll be back Sunday.

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

If Pierce is back, it will be interesting to see the rotations and who is active.

I think Peko is a good run defender, so I am guessing, we will see him BWill and Pierce rotating.

@mikeghg

#32 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

His worst game of the year was against the Steelers (3 INT, Passer Rating 54.9) who had a very strong push up the middle. I agree it will be a tough test, but I'm assuming Lamar, the OL and Roman learned from that game and will find a way to slow this really, really good front 7.  

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

What did he say?

He was running on the field before the game on Sunday.

None of the beat writers have any news of any press conference yesterday.

I think Harbs is doing his main presser today.

Many of the beat guys were not back from LA yesterday.

@mikeghg

#34 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

His worst game of the year was against the Steelers (3 INT, Passer Rating 54.9) who had a very strong push up the middle. I agree it will be a tough test, but I'm assuming Lamar, the OL and Roman learned from that game and will find a way to slow this really, really good front 7.

The Rams front 7 is excellent too.

#35 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

The problem Lamar presents for traditional defensive lines is that he's so mobile in the pocket and so good at avoiding pressure, that even great pass-rushers have a hard time getting to him. It's not surprising to me that San Francisco handled Green Bay easily because Rodgers is your prototypical pocket passer. If you can win the battle at the line of scrimmage, he's going to go down. However, there are two battles to win against the Ravens offense. One at the line of scrimmage, and one against Lamar himself. Awfully hard to do both.

I'm not saying the 49ers can't do it, or that this game will be easy, but I don't think they've faced anything quite like the Ravens before.

The thing that sucks as a Ravens fan is they're playing all the best teams in the league. It's likely that whoever they play if they get to the Super Bowl will be a rematch.
  • JStruds likes this

#36 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

The Rams front 7 is excellent too.

Yep, and the play selection and execution absolutely emasculated Donald and friends.

#37 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

The problem Lamar presents for traditional defensive lines is that he's so mobile in the pocket and so good at avoiding pressure, that even great pass-rushers have a hard time getting to him. It's not surprising to me that San Francisco handled Green Bay easily because Rodgers is your prototypical pocket passer. If you can win the battle at the line of scrimmage, he's going to go down. However, there are two battles to win against the Ravens offense. One at the line of scrimmage, and one against Lamar himself. Awfully hard to do both.

I'm not saying the 49ers can't do it, or that this game will be easy, but I don't think they've faced anything quite like the Ravens before.

The thing that sucks as a Ravens fan is they're playing all the best teams in the league. It's likely that whoever they play if they get to the Super Bowl will be a rematch.

And on the way to the big game. Pats and/or Chiefs almost certainly will be met again.

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Good Post, but I really don't see the last part as a big problem.  The Ravens are not winning because they are catching teams, by surprise.  There is plenty of film on the Ravens and Lamar.   Teams have tried so much different stuff on the Ravens, but the Ravens adjust and just keep scoring.

We may get beat, but I doubt whether it is going to be because of a magic formula.  I do think teams will get better at defending us, because no one has ever scored per possession as effectively as the Ravens, but we are good, I think very good, and continue to get good results.

@mikeghg

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Good Post, but I really don't see the last part as a big problem. The Ravens are not winning because they are catching teams, by surprise. There is plenty of film on the Ravens and Lamar. Teams have tried so much different stuff on the Ravens, but the Ravens adjust and just keep scoring.
We may get beat, but I doubt whether it is going to be because of a magic formula. I do think teams will get better at defending us, because no one has ever scored per possession as effectively as the Ravens, but we are good, I think very good, and continue to get good results.

Hoping you're right! We've never had a season like this before.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

If Pierce is back, it will be interesting to see the rotations and who is active.

I think Peko is a good run defender, so I am guessing, we will see him BWill and Pierce rotating.

Yea, it won't surprise me if they drop the other guy they signed for another Olineman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=