• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens vs. Rams scouting report for Week 12: Who has the edge?

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

I think they've turned a corner. Won 3 of 4. New bodies on their O-line. Finally gave Gurley some carries.

Overall, I see a good not great team... what ever Gurley has left in those legs is huge for them.

Because they beat the Bears at home in an ugly game, and scored 17 points?

They're not that good. But they do have talent and it wouldn't surprise me if they did show up.

But I think they are who they are.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

Because they beat the Bears at home in an ugly game, and scored 17 points?

They're not that good. But they do have talent and it wouldn't surprise me if they did show up.

But I think they are who they are.

Because of how they went about playing. 

Biggest reason for their offensive regression this year, is the lack of carries to Gurley... and the inability to set-up their play action. 

Goff can operate in a system well enough. He's not going to overwhelm you with his ability. He can't do much imo if he doesn't have a running game. 

They've got most of their team back a year removed from a Super Bowl appearance. Sometime the hangover is real. 
But most teams that reach that stage have both talent, and some pride. Sometimes things just don't click for whatever reason (health, other).  

Just like the Saints losing vs. Atlanta a couple of weeks ago... sometimes you just lose, because football. 

But Baltimore going across the country, and potentially losing against a team that should be desperate, and has the the Rams do have (not great, but certainly good)... shouldn't be surprising if it does happen. 

If the Ravens go and kick their ass, that will be another impressive performance. 

#24 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

Biggest reason for their offensive regression this year, is the lack of carries to Gurley... and the inability to set-up their play action. 

To be fair, they were playing without Cooks and Woods. I'd expect that we see a much lighter dose of Gurley if they are both back. If not, more of the same.

It wasn't just that they were giving the ball to Gurley, it was tight formations 122 personnel. Show them run and run type performance. They threw the ball 18 times, there was no setting up play action. Gurley and Kupp were literally their only options. And even in 18 throws Goff managed to throw an INT and Gurley coughed on up on the ground. 

I think the biggest regression is their line. Young on the interior, now young at T. Ravens are going to confuse the crap out of those guys. 

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

Think I heard the other day that the Rams haven’t given up more than 10 points in their last 4 games

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

To be fair, they were playing without Cooks and Woods. I'd expect that we see a much lighter dose of Gurley if they are both back. If not, more of the same.

It wasn't just that they were giving the ball to Gurley, it was tight formations 122 personnel. Show them run and run type performance. They threw the ball 18 times, there was no setting up play action. Gurley and Kupp were literally their only options. And even in 18 throws Goff managed to throw an INT and Gurley coughed on up on the ground.

I think the biggest regression is their line. Young on the interior, now young at T. Ravens are going to confuse the crap out of those guys.

I don’t think there’s a chance Cooks is back and Woods isn’t looking good either.

Gurley will get lots of touches

#27 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

I don’t think there’s a chance Cooks is back and Woods isn’t looking good either.

Gurley will get lots of touches

It's great you think that, but the Rams have basically already said he's going to play. https://www.espn.com...onday-vs-ravens

If Woods comes back tomorrow, I can imagine he'd play on Monday night, too. Given he's not been out for injury. 

Let's all hope they aren't, they are certainly less dynamic without them. 

Would you say over 25 touches for Gurley? I'd take the under. 

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

Interesting. Know play action was previously a significant part of their game. 

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

It's great you think that, but the Rams have basically already said he's going to play. https://www.espn.com...onday-vs-ravens

If Woods comes back tomorrow, I can imagine he'd play on Monday night, too. Given he's not been out for injury. 

Let's all hope they aren't, they are certainly less dynamic without them. 

Would you say over 25 touches for Gurley? I'd take the under. 

Oh...last I heard, they were talking about Cooks being done for the season.

Good to see him getting back.

They are a much better team when they give Gurley the ball and McVay said that he would be featured a lot more going forward.

Good argument for this being our toughest game of the year if they are healthy.

Even their line is apparently playing better according to some analysis I have heard this week.

#30 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Well their RT Havenstein was awful. He was replaced last week due to injury but again running it 27 times to 18 passes makes it pretty hard to evaluate if there has been a big improvement. My guess is a rookie RT against our OL will look a lot different. 

Also if the score gets out of hand early, I'd expect to see them throw a lot and for us to blitz a lot. That'll be the true test. 

#31 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

Think I heard the other day that the Rams haven’t given up more than 10 points in their last 4 games

The defense hasn't given up more than 10 but the Steelers did score 17. They've played the Bengals, Steelers, Bears, and Falcons. But given the mess that the first three are, I'm not sure there is a lot to read into there. 

It's true though, like you said in your other post, this is a team with real upside. If Woods/Cooks play, they can be a shootout level offense just because with Kupp that's a legitimate trio of receivers. I like how we match up with them though. 

Gurley had to grind for a 3.88 per carry to get to his 97 yards last week. And on tape, he really looked like he fought for every inch. 

The Rams are truly a bit of a wild card in this game. I agree on paper they were scary. But their OL troubles and now inexperience makes me feel more confident. 

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:35 AM

I will say that if you told me the Ravens lose one more regular season game, I would bet on this game being the one they lose.

In other words, barring some injuries or sitting guys at the end of the year, this is the most losable game left on their schedule imo.

#33 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

I do think they have a solid defense, especially up front but that hasn't stopped the Ravens from doing damage against other decent teams.  Right now, the way they're playing, Baltimore is like some outlier weather model.  All the other models are saying dry and cold but the one rogue is saying a massive winter storm coming up the coast.  Good luck for any DC to figure out to stop the Ravens right now.  I still say when they do lose, it's going to be because of them beating themselves.  We shall see. 

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

They gave up 17 to the Steelers unless you're talking about just their defense. I think the Steelers D had a TD in that game.

• SportsGuy likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Looks like Woods is back. I'm guessing all three Cooks, Woods, and Kupp play this week. 

I'm also willing to bet Gurley gets less than 25 touches this week as a result. McVay just can't help himself. 

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

Seems likely that Pierce will miss this game.

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

Seems likely that Pierce will miss this game.

I think it is the wise thing to do.  Peko and Ellis will be fine and BWill is playing terrific.

@mikeghg

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

LA Times: Todd Gurley’s workload could be key for Rams to beat Ravens
https://www.latimes....-to-beat-ravens

#39 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

I think the key for the Rams is to stick with Gurly and utilize the short passing game.  You want to attack the Ravens in their front 7, not throw into their strength which is the secondary.  You also want to burn some clock on your possessions to limit the Raven's TOP and help save your D because you know the Raven's are going to wear down your D with the run when they have the ball.

I would have said a key is to get ahead of the Ravens because they are not designed to play from behind but really isn't that every team's goal in every game?  I don't recall a coach ever saying we want to get behind quickly because we are a good come from behind team.  

#40 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

I think the key for the Rams is to stick with Gurly and utilize the short passing game.  You want to attack the Ravens in their front 7, not throw into their strength which is the secondary.  You also want to burn some clock on your possessions to limit the Raven's TOP and help save your D because you know the Raven's are going to wear down your D with the run when they have the ball.

I would have said a key is to get ahead of the Ravens because they are not designed to play from behind but really isn't that every team's goal in every game?  I don't recall a coach ever saying we want to get behind quickly because we are a good come from behind team.  

The worst case scenario for the Rams is to run Gurley early and often and him only average 2-3 yards a carry.  The Ravens would love nothing better than to have Goff try to beat them.  He's been very average this year and prone to mistakes.  I still think when the Ravens finally do lose a game, it will be because of them turning the ball over and beating themselves.  Hopefully, tomorrow night won't be that game but it's bound to happen at least once or twice before the regular season is over.  I know this 6 game streak and the way they've been pounding teams has spoiled us fans rotten but I am trying to keep a realistic perspective.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=