#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

Disclaimer first: Hollywood may very well become the best and most exciting receiver in Ravens history; we've already seen flashes of that, and I'm sure there's more to come. When it does, I'll enjoy it along with everyone else.

Having said that, I questioned drafting him when we did because of exactly what you just pointed out. I felt like until Lamar became more experienced, this offense could and would thrive on its running game, the TEs, and Willie Snead out of the slot.

The vast improvement by Lamar already may yet make that thought dead wrong this season, but as of right now the WRs appear to be more of an after thought than a primary weapon.

That isn’t true w/r/t Brown.

We keep talking about the TEs being a weapon. Boyle isn’t targeted much and neither is Hurst. It’s really Andrews. Brown gets a lot of targets too.

The team still isn’t doing a great job of utilizing all the weapons in the passing game.

However, some of that has to do with how often they are running it.

#42 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

That isn’t true w/r/t Brown.

We keep talking about the TEs being a weapon. Boyle isn’t targeted much and neither is Hurst. It’s really Andrews. Brown gets a lot of targets too.

The team still isn’t doing a great job of utilizing all the weapons in the passing game.

However, some of that has to do with how often they are running it.

Yeah, I see now that Brown is the second most targeted on the team; that actually surprised me given that he's missed a few games. But after him there is quite a drop off to Roberts and Boykin (I'm categorizing Snead as only slot for the sake of this argument; he has probably lined up wide more times than I'm aware of, but that's his main role.)

#43 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

Disclaimer first: Hollywood may very well become the best and most exciting receiver in Ravens history; we've already seen flashes of that, and I'm sure there's more to come. When it does, I'll enjoy it along with everyone else. 

Having said that, I questioned drafting him when we did because of exactly what you just pointed out. I felt like until Lamar became more experienced, this offense could and would thrive on its running game, the TEs, and Willie Snead out of the slot.

The vast improvement by Lamar already may yet make that thought dead wrong this season, but as of right now the WRs appear to be more of an after thought than a primary weapon.  

Added: Just did a quick check with quick math, but I think what I calculated is that 117 of the team's 177 receptions (@66%) have been by TEs, RBs and Snead (19).   

I see what you're saying, but I'd also expect Hollywood to be WAY more involved in the offense next season. Seeing as he's even said himself that he won't be 100% this season, I get the feeling that they're not pushing him yet. If my memory is correct, and it often isn't, the NE game is the only time they've run a jet sweep or the like with him. I'm going to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, and say they'd be involving him much more if it wasn't for a combination of health and being a rookie.

• JStruds likes this

#44 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

And right on cue, Preston's article today discusses the need to get WRs more involved, and the chance that it might start in this game.

"The Ravens offense has evolved but there is still one more phase to develop. The Ravens need more impact from their wide receivers.

They don’t need the Amari Cooper or Antonio Brown type but someone besides rookie Marquise Brown who can deliver a big play or stretch a defense. Brown can do that but health concerns limit his plays.

If that player is on the roster than Sunday’s game would be the perfect breakout time.

The Houston Texans are ranked 29th in pass defense allowing 277.3 yards a game and their secondary has been hit hard by injuries. The Texans also are playing without one of the league’s best pass rushers in J.J. Watt, out for the season with a torn pectoral."

#45 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

Andrews ability to stretch the defense is really underrated, IMO. In a lot of ways, I consider him to be a WR. 

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Andrews ability to stretch the defense is really underrated, IMO. In a lot of ways, I consider him to be a WR. 

Andrews is a more physical Dennis Pitta.  at times, he is the slot receiver, and is damn good at it.

@mikeghg

#47 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:11 AM

I totally agree that's a step this offense has to make. When you think about it though they are so successful getting 4,5,6 yards at a time that plays deep downfield almost seem contrary to what they want to do. It sounds crazy but the success of the intermediate game with the tight ends and the run game make the downfield plays to the wr's almost unnecessary.

The last time I complained about the lack of the deep ball he threw a bomb to Brown on the first play of the game. Well I'm complaining again.

#48 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I totally agree that's a step this offense has to make. When you think about it though they are so successful getting 4,5,6 yards at a time that plays deep downfield almost seem contrary to what they want to do. It sounds crazy but the success of the intermediate game with the tight ends and the run game make the downfield plays to the wr's almost unnecessary.

The last time I complained about the lack of the deep ball he threw a bomb to Brown on the first play of the game. Well I'm complaining again.

When they showed Seth Roberts and Willie Snead on the side line last week looking bored and down trodden, I almost felt sorry for them.  They certainly have their function in blocking but inside, you know they're disappointed they don't get the ball more.  But with the running game being high octane and the three-headed monster exploiting the field underneath, there's only so many plays available to them on any particular drive.  What I don't want to see is for Jackson to try and force throws to the wide receivers just to get them involved.  Hollywood is far from healthy and you can see it when he runs.  He doesn't have that 2nd gear right now but if they want to stretch the field a couple of times a game with him, I'm fine with that.  Otherwise, how can anyone complain about this offense being under utilized?  You can't get any higher than No. 1 in the league. 

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

The offense doesn’t need to change a thing. WRs aren’t complaining. There is no I in Team, etc...
@BSLMikeRandall

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

Snead signed an extension...don’t know why anyone would think he’s unhappy.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

https://twitter.com/...7273324545?s=20

#52 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

Said this in the Houston thread

I looked at their last three games defensively.

The Ravens have 2 turnovers per game and Houston has approximately the same number. But they did take 4 against the lowly Jags. We took 2 each from the Patriots and Seahawks. They played the Raiders and Colts. I'm not sure if they knocked out Brisset or if that was the prior week.

In addition the Ravens have allowed 50 less yards per game.

It's not hard to favor the Ravens in a similar game to the Seahawks match up ...Plus similar QB
Roll Tide

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

More poor coverage by the KO team

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner