#101 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

I'm talking from experience. You getting sore from going to the driving range vs me not getting sore says a lot more about you than it does my swing.

I didn't say the driving range. It's a combo of the swings and walking on the course.

I've golfed longer than you and I'm better than you. I was sore after walking 18 10 yrs ago in my early 20s and in the best shape of my life. And yes, I was in good shape. I had less than 6% body fat at one point.

Oh, do I long for those days.

You said swinging the club is a good workout. I wouldn't call it that.

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Walking a golf course is very similar to hiking or backpacking. Walking 5 or so miles over varying elevations with ~20 pounds your back is quite the workout. Its almost exactly like a half day trek over moderate terrain (with more gear than you'd need for a half day).

Well the previous debate that has led to these jokes by me was about pro golfers who don't carry their bags. Obviously the terrain of the course is a big factor here, but a fair amount of these courses don't come close to a decent hiking trail in terms of elevation changes. Without the significant elevation changes and the added weight, walking 4 miles is an alright workout, but not challenging for anyone in decent shape.

#103 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

You know what is truly physically demanding? Running on a 96ft court for 30 minutes out of a 2.5 hour stretch....and within that 30 min, sometimes running half speed and sometimes standing around.

Not THAT will take a toll on your body!

#104 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

You know what is truly physically demanding? Running on a 96ft court for 30 minutes out of a 2.5 hour stretch....and within that 30 min, sometimes running half speed and sometimes standing around.Not THAT will take a toll on your body!

You left out the bursts of sprints (which is a whole different form of endurance), the constant pushing and shoving as you battle for position, the frequent jumping,and the agility/quick footwork to get open. Full court competitive basketball is excellent exercise.

#105 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

You left out the bursts of sprints (which is a whole different form of endurance), the constant pushing and shoving as you battle for position, the frequent jumping,and the agility/quick footwork to get open. Full court competitive basketball is excellent exercise.

Of course it is..and there are a lot of players that don't do a lot of what you are talking about on a frequent basis.

#106 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Of course it is..and there are a lot of players that don't do a lot of what you are talking about on a frequent basis.
Okay. I don't really understand your argument. So people don't always play at a high pace for basketball so sometimes they're aren't getting a full workout but everybody that golfs is because they all have to walk a fair distance, carry a bag, and swing a club? Also if you're going to point out how some people don't get too competitive when playing basketball, don't use the full court in your argument. Guaranteed anybody that is playing full court basketball is pretty serious and is doing all that I said above. Can't we just agree that they're two totally different forms of exercise? You're not getting cardio out of golfing and I would assume that most fit people will never get their heart rate up past 120 while golfing while the sprinting, jumping, etc, in basketball has a much better chance of getting your heart rate up.

#107 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

There has never been an argument that golf gets the heart rate up moreso than basketball.

And btw, there are plenty of pro basketball players that stand around, don't run all out on every play, don't bang down low, etc...

#108 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hungover as hell today... made it through the work day, came home, took a nap... woke up in the 5th inning of the O's. Watched a walkoff, then hit the bike. 20 minutes, 5.5 miles, heart rates steady at 145. Felt great. Won't be going to sleep anytime soon though. #RunnersHigh

• Markus likes this

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

I've hit a bit of a stride with some solid endurance training. Warm up a bit, then hit it hard for a few minutes to get the heart rate going. Slow down and stride for several minutes, rinse and repeat. Really isn't that hard, and I'm extraordinarily out of shape.

#110 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Today started a 2-week set (at least) of isometric weight training.  First time doing it and it's going to be so awesome.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Today started a 2-week set (at least) of isometric weight training.  First time doing it and it's going to be so awesome.

do_you_even_lift_bro_20_pics_640_01-300x

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#112 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Had some health issues over the winter and my weight ballooned up. Down 55 lbs from March.
  • You Play to Win the Game, DuffMan and Markus like this

#113 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Starting week 4 of isometric weights and hiit cardio (though I've been doing that for a while now).  Lean muscle is up.  Body fat is down.

Saturday put up a 23:19 time on my 3.5ish mile every-other-Saturday run which was 1 second off my personal best.  Kinda kicking myself b/c if I'm being honest I didn't empty my tank during this most recent run.  It was a perfect morning for running too;  overcast and 70's.

• Russ likes this

#114 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

3 weeks ago I downloaded the myfitnesspal app and since than I've dropped 4 pounds. 

It's basically a food journal (which is nothing new for me and I've mentioned doing it before) but again it helps get you in that mindset of "Do I really want to eat/drink that and have to log it?"

It does a really good job of taking your cardio-workout (it doesn't account for any calories burned lifting weights) and adjusting your needed caloric intake to account for whatever your goal weight is.

Pretty much any/all food is accounted for and all you have to do is search for it and it will enter in all the necessary info.

Would definitely recommend.

#115 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Consecutive days running without tripping and falling:  0

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

I finally started lifting again about a month ago after 3-4 years of not lifting at all.  Still putting up embarrassingly light amounts of weight, but making progress, last week I got to the point where I was able to bench my bodyweight again, so that's a decent step I guess.  I've been going at least 3 times a week for 45-50 minutes or so.  I need to fold in cardio a couple times a week, but that's so boring.

#117 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

I finally started lifting again about a month ago after 3-4 years of not lifting at all.  Still putting up embarrassingly light amounts of weight, but making progress, last week I got to the point where I was able to bench my bodyweight again, so that's a decent step I guess.  I've been going at least 3 times a week for 45-50 minutes or so.  I need to fold in cardio a couple times a week, but that's so boring.

Ever try a spin class for cardio? Loud, fun music, you get to suffer with everyone, plus get some good views if you sit in the back. 

@PeterDiLutis

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Ever try a spin class for cardio? Loud, fun music, you get to suffer with everyone, plus get some good views if you sit in the back. 

Yeah, I enjoy spin classes, a few years ago over the winter I got to where I would go 2-3 times a week with a small group of friends.  I've found myself trying to avoid being at the gym at the times that most of the classes are offered, just because it's always so crowded.

#119 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I enjoy spin classes, a few years ago over the winter I got to where I would go 2-3 times a week with a small group of friends.  I've found myself trying to avoid being at the gym at the times that most of the classes are offered, just because it's always so crowded.

Gotya! I hate cardio but spin really opened it up for me. I like them a lot and I haven't done actual cardio in over a year, and I workout pretty consistently. 

What gym do yo go to? 

@PeterDiLutis

#120 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Merritt in Canton.  Crazy expensive, but convenient.  I wasn't using it at all for the longest time it was such a waste of money, but I've been going pretty consistently lately so I guess I can justify the cost.  Hoping to stay motivated and continue to go for the foreseeable future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=