#1761 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

I get Turner wanted to take part in the celebration, but with all the kids and family already on the field the risk to others seemed dangerous.

Hopefully Turner is okay and others continue to test negative.  I wonder if MLB will continue to test the Rays and Dodgers for a week or so, even though the season is over.

@mikeghg

#1762 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

Cash is getting roasted, everywhere, for taking Snell out of that game. Cash made an analytical decision. One person pointed out something interesting. Snell's numbers are actually better facing an offense the 3rd time through the line up, than they are the second time through. His 2019 stats show the same pattern. This was just poor managing.   

• 24fps and CantonJester like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1763 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

There's a lot more pictures of him without a mask. It wasn't just 5 sec.

Are there? Can you share a link? All I’ve seen is the one with the team pic, which video showed he took it down for the pic, then right back on. There is also one where he’s holding the trophy with his wife both unmasked, but they also took one both masked up with the trophy. Every other pic I’ve seen on field he was masked up.

Some people are acting like Turner was intentionally coughing on everyone he could. Hugging and kissing the unwilling.

Was it the most responsible thing? No. Was he careful while taking in a once in a lifetime moment that guys in his profession work their entire life to achieve? IMO, yes. Are his teammates upset? Not at all.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1764 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

Was it the most responsible thing? No. Was he careful while taking in a once in a lifetime moment that guys in his profession work their entire life to achieve? IMO, yes. Are his teammates upset? Not at all.

This reflects my opinion on this.

I think this is a justifiable act of irresponsibility that I just can't get mad about or be critical of.  It's not the way to handle a positive test result.  But it's also a very non-typical situation.  And everyone he was around knew of his test result.  Everyone accepted the risks because they wanted to do something that couldn't be done at another time, taking what precautions they could.

I do think everyone afterwards should consider this as an exposure to someone with a positive result and act accordingly.  I'm sure that isn't happening, and I will be critical of that.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#1765 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

I think this is a justifiable act of irresponsibility that I just can't get mad about or be critical of.  It's not the way to handle a positive test result.  But it's also a very non-typical situation.  And everyone he was around knew of his test result.  Everyone accepted the risks because they wanted to do something that couldn't be done at another time, taking what precautions they could.

I do think everyone afterwards should consider this as an exposure to someone with a positive result and act accordingly.  I'm sure that isn't happening, and I will be critical of that.

Agreed. And it's also funny how so many of the people being overly critical of Turner didn't bat an eye when Trump was taking trips around Walter Reid while infected with secret service agents, or returning to the White House without a mask while still contagious, etc. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#1766 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

Cash is getting roasted, everywhere, for taking Snell out of that game. Cash made an analytical decision. One person pointed out something interesting. Snell's numbers are actually better facing an offense the 3rd time through the line up, than they are the second time through. His 2019 stats show the same pattern. This was just poor managing.   

I feel like he totally ignored what everyone saw and ran to his numbers.  he took out a pitcher who was dominant at the time for a struggling reliever.  As Earl used to say, make sure the guy you are bringing in, is better than the one you are taking out.

• weird-O and CantonJester like this
@mikeghg

#1767 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns replaces Daryl Strawberry with Homer.  "It's called playing the percentages."  :lol:

• weird-O likes this

#1768 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

Agreed. And it's also funny how so many of the people being overly critical of Turner didn't bat an eye when Trump was taking trips around Walter Reid while infected with secret service agents, or returning to the White House without a mask while still contagious, etc. 

I don't get involved in the political talk, but many people were critical of both.  

When I hear Turner had tested positive, my first thought went to him missing the celebration.  It would have sucked but given the fact the field was occupied by not only the players but families, it would have been the right thing to do.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#1769 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

I don't get involved in the political talk, but many people were critical of both.  

When I hear Turner had tested positive, my first thought went to him missing the celebration.  It would have sucked but given the fact the field was occupied by not only the players but families, it would have been the right thing to do.

The whole idea that a player with an inconclusive test result is allowed to play is so freakin off-putting I can't wrap my head around it. 

To be let into the game, you need a negative test. Each day. That should've been the protocol. Anything less is a varied degree of reckless.

• Mike B and russsnyder like this

#1770 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

The whole idea that a player with an inconclusive test result is allowed to play is so freakin off-putting I can't wrap my head around it. 

To be let into the game, you need a negative test. Each day. That should've been the protocol. Anything less is a varied degree of reckless.

100% agree.   And once again, MLB was very fortunate the Dodgers won game 6.  Game 7 may not have been possible.

• CantonJester likes this
@mikeghg

#1771 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

This may have been true, but it's also quite possible that no one wanted to be that guy to say something even though they weren't super comfortable with it. That's not a great position to put people in IMO. But again, maybe your description is actually accurate.

#1772 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

When I hear Turner had tested positive, my first thought went to him missing the celebration. It would have sucked but given the fact the field was occupied by not only the players but families, it would have been the right thing to do.

I think it's more than fair to criticize Turner for coming back on the field. I mean, he was removed from the game by MLB because of the positive test result. He also did not fly back on the team plane as well. Yeah, it would have sucked not to celebrate with your teammates, but it was irresponsible.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1773 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:37 PM

Here is a link to an opinion piece in the NY Times by Kurt Streeter:

Turner could not have been unaware of the pandemic’s severity when he insisted on celebrating his World Series win in close quarters with his Dodgers teammates. And Rob Manfred, baseball’s commissioner, can’t just blame one player.

https://www.nytimes....&section=Sports

It's worth the read, but fair warning, it is neither sympathetic nor charitable toward Turner's decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=