102 replies to this topic

#81 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2022 - 08:20 AM

Aemond looks great, the problem is that I think the new Aegon actor actually looks younger than the previous.

My way of making it make sense is Aemon has been hardened by what happened to him and being driven by revenge why Aegon hasn’t a stress in the world being able to F off and do whatever he wants with no repercussions.

#82 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 12:25 PM

Is there a noticeable lack of nudity in this spin-off?

I'm not complaining, I'm just gauging if the memes around it are true.  I think they are, and I think it's great that the show is still so popular without boobs all over the place.  I think it reinforces the story of the fantasy, and not the nudity, is ultimately why Thrones had such a big following and is regaining a lot of that following now.

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:15 AM

The Ringer: The Five Ways That Episode 9 of ‘House of the Dragon’ Underwhelmed

AV Club: An enticing House Of The Dragon crowns Westeros' new ruler

https://www.avclub.c...ecap-1849662608

#84 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:30 AM

Great set up episode for the season finale.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:56 AM

Great set up episode for the season finale.

Yeah, I'll disagree with The Ringer there...  think that is a bad take. 

Saw Martin say it would take 4 years to tell this full story. 

I do think Year 1 of HOD has been helped by the large period of time they've shown.

Should be able to have very significant events every episode when you pinning down particular moments over decades. 

#86 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:01 AM

Yeah, I'll disagree with The Ringer there... think that is a bad take.

Saw Martin say it would take 4 years to tell this full story.

I do think Year 1 of HOD has been helped by the large period of time they've shown.

Should be able to have very significant events every episode when you pinning down particular moments over decades.

I disagree, that's the same logic that made the final season of GoT underwhelming. Action and plot points alone do not make a series interesting, it's the audience's relationship to characters, which take time to build. I'm still watching House of Dragon but many of these dramatic points don't hit as hard because of how fast they're moving and the lesser degree of connection I have with what are all essentially puzzle pieces.

Spoiler alert:

Can someone explain the logic of interrupting and therefore delegitimizing Aegons coronation, going then to tell Rhaenyra who you side with, but NOT finishing the job when you had the chance?
@DaKittenz

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:19 AM

I disagree, that's the same logic that made the final season of GoT underwhelming. Action and plot points alone do not make a series interesting, it's the audience's relationship to characters, which take time to build. I'm still watching House of Dragon but many of these dramatic points don't hit as hard because of how fast they're moving and the lesser degree of connection I have with what are all essentially puzzle pieces.

Ohh I think we are in general agreement, though I might not have worded my previous message well.

I'm in total lockstep with you that nuance and building relationships with characters is paramount for any show.

In the years 1-6, of GOT, some complained that 'nothing' was happening. I liked the pacing, as there was a story being told.

And while I still enjoyed years 7-8, I agree with the consensus that it felt rushed.

I've enjoyed HOD, but I haven't loved it yet for the reason you mentioned. There hasn't been a larger engagement with the characters.

My point was that they've covered 20-30 years here. So in a 10 episode arc over that period, each episode should have plenty to chew on.

But yes, like you... I enjoyed the journey of GOT vs the fast forward nature of HOD... otoh, I do understand why it was necessary. Plus you didn't have Martin spelling out every would be scene.

#88 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:28 AM

Spoiler alert:

Can someone explain the logic of interrupting and therefore delegitimizing Aegons coronation, going then to tell Rhaenyra who you side with, but NOT finishing the job when you had the chance?

Yeah that was terrible.  I generally enjoyed this episode, but what a boner of a scene.  Didn't happen that way in the books and for good reason.  It's like HBO decided you know what we need here, a dragon!  Not torching them right there makes no sense, I get that you have no show if she lights them up, but doing something different then with Rhaenyra.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:59 AM

Listened to the official HOD podcast, and their interpretation was...  she wanted to be a Free Agent open to negotiation and the highest bidder.  But yeah, I agree there too.

#90 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 October 2022 - 03:26 PM

Yeah that was terrible. I generally enjoyed this episode, but what a boner of a scene. Didn't happen that way in the books and for good reason. It's like HBO decided you know what we need here, a dragon! Not torching them right there makes no sense, I get that you have no show if she lights them up, but doing something different then with Rhaenyra.

Not sure why they couldn’t just have her escape with the dragon another way to make the point that Alicent is “looking out the window of her prison”. That and Alicent mishearing the prophecy have been my only two complaints.

But the time jumps are going to be very minimal from here on out. The Dance of Dragons lasted two and a half years and will be ~ the next 31 episodes.

#91 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 08:15 PM

Listened to the official HOD podcast, and their interpretation was...  she wanted to be a Free Agent open to negotiation and the highest bidder.  But yeah, I agree there too.

Exactly why the rabble saying "Oh she was showing where her loyalties are" were so frustrating.  Like no, she's been playing all sides the whole show so far and just killed a bunch of innocents with her dragon.  The appropriate response isn't "Slay, queen".

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:34 AM

The Ringer: ‘House of the Dragon’ Precap: One Burning Question Ahead of Episode 10

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 04:15 PM

AV Club: House Of The Dragon unloads a tragic, heavy-handed season finale

https://www.avclub.c...he-b-1849692348

#94 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 10:20 PM

Great finale.  I was not expecting it in that fashion.

• BobPhelan likes this

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:09 AM

The Ringer: All Roads Lead Back to the Dragons

#96 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:53 AM

So I started watching this show last night and made it into the finale for about 20 or so minutes before realizing it was not the first episode. 

Oops. So I guess I know what happens leading up to the finale now!

Went back and watched the first two episodes. I'm all in. Thrilled to have GOT back baby!

• BobPhelan and Dupin like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#97 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2022 - 09:57 AM

The pain from the end of GoT has been erased. Give me all the spin-offs!

#98 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:48 AM

I have some complaints, but I think this was a great season. I'm thinking of it more fondly than Game of Thrones, but that may be because of how much I soured on the show after they decided to try to catch a zombie lol.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#99 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 07:48 PM

I have some complaints, but I think this was a great season. I'm thinking of it more fondly than Game of Thrones, but that may be because of how much I soured on the show after they decided to try to catch a zombie lol.

Don't worry, the ending isn't terrible and is already written.

I almost find this show more interesting because no one is comically evil the way Joffrey, Ramsay, Cersei, and sometimes Littlefinger were.  They're all bad people in HotD, but they're not crazy bad and I understand everyone's motivation mostly.  

Except Larys.  That guy is bad.

• BobPhelan likes this

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:27 AM

The Ringer: The Cost of Leaping Through Time in ‘House of the Dragon’

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors