• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:43 AM

The Ringer: Five Reasons ‘House of the Dragon’ May Be a More Difficult Adaptation Than ‘Game of Thrones’

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:18 PM

Is there any chance that this will be good?  Hopefully it's a different creative team than the one who completely f'ed up the original show once the original GRRM material ran out.

It's a close call whether I'm less excited about this show or Ring of Power on Amazon (although I'll probably give both a shot and end up liking them).

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:29 PM

Is there any chance that this will be good? Hopefully it's a different creative team than the one who completely f'ed up the original show once the original GRRM material ran out.

It's a close call whether I'm less excited about this show or Ring of Power on Amazon (although I'll probably give both a shot and end up liking them).

Definitely could and should be good. Being run by one of the directors from the original show who did a bunch of the best episodes. Original show runners are not involved. Material it’s based on is already finished.
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

I’m very hopeful.

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

Going in with low expectations. Not crazy about this essentially being a Targaryen soap opera as I found the Targaryen stuff from the books and the show the least interesting parts of it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

Going in with low expectations. Not crazy about this essentially being a Targaryen soap opera as I found the Targaryen stuff from the books and the show the least interesting parts of it.

This was in a time and place where the Targaryens were practically extinct, and the lone survivor was making her voyage to Westeros. I agree that didn't capture me that much. They weren't involved in the politics and all the critical things happening IN Westeros. 

In this iteration though, the Targaryens will be the Baratheon's/Lannister's. They'll be running Westeros and they'll be the ones driving those political decisions and dialogue. 

I read they are focusing more on the political angle, which is good since I thought that was something they really did well early on in the original series.

• BobPhelan likes this

#27 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

I was upset with Thrones after season 5, but damnit if I haven't talked myself into watching.  I want the magic of the first few season again, and I guess I'm ready to be hurt again.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 09:49 AM

The Ringer: Twenty Questions (and Spoiler-Free Answers) About the World of ‘House of the Dragon’

#29 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:36 AM

Is there any chance that this will be good? Hopefully it's a different creative team than the one who completely f'ed up the original show once the original GRRM material ran out.

It's based off of book Canon that is already finished. Pacing will be the thorn in this shows side. If they hit the pacing right, and they flesh out the characters properly, like the original show did in the first few seasons, this should be very good.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 09:37 AM

The Ringer: ‘House of the Dragon’ Introduces a Very Different Time for Targaryens

#31 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 07:59 PM

It was fine.  The story seems decent.

Matt Smith's wig looks AWFUL.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

The Ringer: ‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 1 Breakdown: Dreams and Prophecies

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 07:49 AM

The Ringer: ‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 1 Mailbag: Small Council, Big Questions

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:25 AM

I enjoyed it. Was worried the first half of the episode that the pacing was going to fly off the rails, but they reeled everything in nicely, and set in progress a lot of intriguing storylines moving forward. Good first episode IMO.

#35 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

I thought it was good not great.  This is an interesting time in the timeline, plenty of interesting characters and events that  happen.  It's  been a few years since I've ready any of Martin's books but my ears did perk up the first time I heard Criston Cole's name.  Having said that I'm not sure how long I will keep watching.  The long wait for Winds has dampened my interest and enthusiasm in Westeros.

• Biggsy likes this

#36 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

I enjoyed it. Was worried the first half of the episode that the pacing was going to fly off the rails, but they reeled everything in nicely, and set in progress a lot of intriguing storylines moving forward. Good first episode IMO.

This whole story takes place over a long period of time. From where the show started with the Great Council of Harrenhal, all the way through the "Dance of the Dragons", was like 32 or 33 years.

So I imagine we'll see a lot of time jumps throughout this show.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:26 AM

The Ringer: ‘House of the Dragon’ Precap: One Burning Question Ahead of Episode 2

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:26 AM

This whole story takes place over a long period of time. From where the show started with the Great Council of Harrenhal, all the way through the "Dance of the Dragons", was like 32 or 33 years.

So I imagine we'll see a lot of time jumps throughout this show.

Supposed to be a 10 year jump during this season.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 11:22 AM

The Ringer: King Viserys, We Have Some Dragon Notes

The Ringer: A Third ‘House of the Dragon’ Character Just Entered the Game of Thrones

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 August 2022 - 11:23 AM

Makes sense. 

That's a problem for me. Too disjointed. Episode 2 picked up about 6 months after the events of episode 1. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=