#121 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

Yep, especially when you get late into some of those long matches and people are tired. Not like they have a union that's going to look out for them either.

Agreed, but some of it, is on the talent.  I listened to a talk Steamboat did and he maintained that the rule among the wrestlers was "Do not try a move or take a bump, that you could not execute."  I don't think that is followed as much anymore.

@mikeghg

#122 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:32 PM

Agreed, but some of it, is on the talent.  I listened to a talk Steamboat did and he maintained that the rule among the wrestlers was "Do not try a move or take a bump, that you could not execute."  I don't think that is followed as much anymore.

Doubt it, now the only rule is do what Vince says or else.

@JeremyMStrain

#123 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:45 PM

Doubt it, now the only rule is do what Vince says or else.

I see wild stuff in both companies.  Too many bumps that should not be taken.  

@mikeghg

#124 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:04 AM

AEW should just stop with the really big spots at the end of really big matches. They botched pyro in the exploding death match that wasn’t necessary. (Especially since it wasn’t writing Moxley off for paternity leave).

Jericho took the corniest looking fall off the cage, onto obvious cardboard and padding at the end of Blood and Guts. The match itself checked all the boxes. Violence, off the charts. It didn’t need the extra theatrics, and it looks really incredibly dumb when a dozen “medics” rush out there after the fall that looks like a baby would have made a safe landing from.

If you want to take a bump, take one, or don’t.
@BSLMikeRandall

#125 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:55 PM

I’m considering getting the DoN pay per view. Who is the consensus mystery entrant in the battle royal?

#126 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:33 PM

I’m considering getting the DoN pay per view. Who is the consensus mystery entrant in the battle royal?

Daniel Bryan is a free agent I think. But I think these battle royals don’t usually have a reveal. Not like the Royal rumble where they come out one at a time, someone’s music hits, the place goes nuts.
@BSLMikeRandall

#127 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

Daniel Bryan is a free agent I think. But I think these battle royals don’t usually have a reveal. Not like the Royal rumble where they come out one at a time, someone’s music hits, the place goes nuts.

I was looking at the ad and noticed they had a card with a question mark. I was hoping it might be Bryan but with the news about wwe and New Japan being in talks, I was doubtful. Maybe Samoa Joe.

#128 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:06 PM

Brian Cage is on some serious gear. He looks insane.

#129 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:50 AM

Good show last night. I think they probably overuse the distraction from outside too much and there are absolutely no protected moves. But it was a good show. Miles ahead of WWE in ring psychology where it seems to be a lost art. Orange Cassidy won me over for sure. And Britt Baker is a star.

#130 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:19 PM

Brian Cage is on some serious gear. He looks insane.

Really liking the angle they are going with him, fighting with Starks. Team Tazz loses way too often to matter in the big picture. Cage separating from that (sooner rather than later I assume) is a good thing. Hobbs doesn’t do it for me. Starks could be a star but he needs a slightly different look. He is smaller corporate Rock, and it is way too on the nose. I thought a while back Hangman Page was too on the nose compared to Stone Cold. (Black trunks, leather vest, redneck, beer drinking, can’t trust him, he trusts no one). All they did was put him in long pants and drop the vest, I don’t see Stone Cold anymore, even when Page is chugging a beer. Gotta do something like that with Starks before he shows up with a Brahma Bull tattoo on his bicep.
@BSLMikeRandall

#131 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:16 AM

Also, I cannot wait for Omega vs. Jungle Boy in two weeks. I’m not going to catch up on the DVR a couple days after. I want to see that in real time. I think the last time I was this excited for a wrestling match was Omega and Moxley in AEWs infancy, in that unsanctioned match in Baltimore if I’m not mistaken. Before that it was probably Charlotte, Becky, and Rousey headlining WM.

Omega is the best in the world, hands down, no debate. But his heat, Young Bucks heat, it is so red hot with the entourage and stooges, that they have finally made enough enemies that any number of guys can foil their underhanded plans and Jungle Boy, over as over can be, could pull the upset. Marko can pester Don Callis. Luchasaurus can handle both the stooges Brandon and Michael. Mox and Kingston prevent the Young Bucks from getting involved. Orange Cassidy and friends holding back the Good Brothers. Could be pandemonium all around the ring, while Omega and Jungle Boy put on a clinic on executing reversals.

Talked about some things AEW does being too on the nose. The recent obvious biases between the ref in Don Callis’ guys matches has me thinking they are running back the Referee Nick Patrick/nWo storyline. If that bald ref gets this match (Only know Aubrey’s name still) I wouldn’t be surprised to see a continuation of the shenanigans and Omega doesn’t win clean, again. Picks up 3 more enemies before his next challenge.

Jungle Boy can look good in a loss. But with AEW about to go back on the road, I have a sneaking suspicion they want the title on their most over star, walking in to their first post-pandemic show not in Daily’s Place, holding the title up some 15 feet in the air on top of Luchasauras’ shoulders for the biggest pop any wrestler has gotten in any promotion in 18 months.
@BSLMikeRandall

#132 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

I like Jungle Boy a lot and your idea of him being the guy to get the pop as they go on the road is a great idea.  Buying the rights to "Tarzan Boy" was a great move by Khan.

But as for putting the belt on him?  I don't know man, he can't really talk yet.  If you're on the smaller side like he is you gotta be able to be good on the mic as well.  Hopefully he'll get there with age and experience.

• Mike in STL likes this

#133 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:41 PM

I like Jungle Boy a lot and your idea of him being the guy to get the pop as they go on the road is a great idea. Buying the rights to "Tarzan Boy" was a great move by Khan.

But as for putting the belt on him? I don't know man, he can't really talk yet. If you're on the smaller side like he is you gotta be able to be good on the mic as well. Hopefully he'll get there with age and experience.

That’s a good point too. Wonder if Luchasaurus or Marko can be his mouthpiece. A lot of guys have been champs who don’t talk. But it does help.

I mean, I’m 90% sure Omega retains by way of 3 count. 5% sure he retains by DQ. But I’ll be rooting like hell for Jungle Boy to do basically the impossible.
@BSLMikeRandall

#134 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:52 PM

Yeah can’t see omega dropping the belt to Jungle Boy.

#135 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

Omega/Jungle Boy was a hell of a match. Heel tactics were minimal to none. Just two awesome wrestlers doing what they do best.
@BSLMikeRandall

#136 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:55 AM

Rumor that Daniel Bryan is All Elite. Also, CM Punk in talks.

#137 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:22 PM

Rumor that Daniel Bryan is All Elite. Also, CM Punk in talks.

If Punk is going to jump back in, look for it to be in the PPV in Chicago.

I do not see either at this point wanting to be a regular, but I think they both could be very valuable on a PT schedule.

It sounds like DB wants to also work an Indy schedule including shows in Japan.  Vince never allows that, so AEW makes sense for him.

@mikeghg

#138 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

If Punk is going to jump back in, look for it to be in the PPV in Chicago.

I do not see either at this point wanting to be a regular, but I think they both could be very valuable on a PT schedule.

It sounds like DB wants to also work an Indy schedule including shows in Japan. Vince never allows that, so AEW makes sense for him.

Kinda like some of guys stopping through for a one off match. Nick Gage next week. Couple of the NJPW guys that have come through. Guys from places I don’t follow. Part time would be ideal like you said. They have enough core guys that they don’t get matches on television often at all.
@BSLMikeRandall

#139 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

Kinda like some of guys stopping through for a one off match. Nick Gage next week. Couple of the NJPW guys that have come through. Guys from places I don’t follow. Part time would be ideal like you said. They have enough core guys that they don’t get matches on television often at all.

Exactly, AEW needs more shows, and exposure (TV time) for some of these guys that Vince seemingly has gifted them.  I would be surprised if DB or Punk ever worked anything close to a full time schedule.  

Punk doing the PPV in Chicago seems like maybe the last best chance for him wrestling again.  If AEW makes it happen it is a large win for them.  Maybe they could use his wife too, to entice him.

@mikeghg

#140 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

Apparently CM Punk officially signed today. Don’t know what to believe on the internet pertaining to wrestling stuff. But looks like a done deal.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=