208 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

This AEW show is legit. Jericho cut a hilarious promo and the first two matches were stellar.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

This AEW show is legit. Jericho cut a hilarious promo and the first two matches were stellar.

Young Bucks vs. Private Party might have been the best tag team match I've seen in a very very long time. Since the Hardy Boyz prime at least. It's amazing when you have real tag teams how good tag matches can be.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

They're legit. I still feel like something is missing but it's definitely gonna be something I watch every week. 

A REALLY good show, especially for one that's just finding its legs.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

They're legit. I still feel like something is missing but it's definitely gonna be something I watch every week. 

A REALLY good show, especially for one that's just finding its legs.

It definitely has a WCW feel.

I still prefer NXT to it, but that is why everyone has a DVR.

@mikeghg

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

I just got around to watching last weeks show, but what is up with the guy who looks like a skinny 11 year old, wrestling.  Marko and the lady champ Riho, just don't look the part.  It had to be tough on the opponents, who seemed to be trying very hard, not to hurt the small wrestlers.

@mikeghg

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

Anyone going to the ppv at the arena next Saturday?

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

Watched “Full Gear” on YouTube yesterday. One question. What was Moxley thinking? I know he hated the creative of Vince at WWE. But you get to be around and travel with your gorgeous wife and TV-PG wrestle a little while playing a psychopath. Now he’s still playing the psychopath but has to be a TV-MA human pin cushion. I think I’d rather just put up with Vinces BS and collect a fat check.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Watched “Full Gear” on YouTube yesterday. One question. What was Moxley thinking? I know he hated the creative of Vince at WWE. But you get to be around and travel with your gorgeous wife and TV-PG wrestle a little while playing a psychopath. Now he’s still playing the psychopath but has to be a TV-MA human pin cushion. I think I’d rather just put up with Vinces BS and collect a fat check.

To him, and a lot of guys, the paycheck isn't worth selling your soul. Some of them have, almost an honor, or work ethic that they want to EARN what they get, they want to be judged on their matches, and ability to perform in the ring. Not stupid pops that are manipulated ("hello BALTIMORE!!!") or dumb story lines, that don't even make sense.

Austin was one of these guys, once he hit that point that "stunning" steve austin didn't have to be a thing to have a job, he was going to do stuff his way. And Vince made it work, and the rest is history. In his defense, Vince shed a lot of ego during that period, took some lumps, looked stupid on a nightly basis, for the sake of the company. But most guys won't pull that card until they feel like they have enough leverage. I bet you see more guys coming up near the end of their contracts start doing that now. Choosing storylines vs just doing whatever, because they know theres another group out there with an open checkbook and ALL too happy to keep them off the unemployment line. Right now the contract security is working, but soon, people will know they'll get that either way and will start taking perks to win a deal.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#9 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

The same reason that certain actors could stick with Marvel franchises for 10-12 years and get 8 figures but instead turn to Broadway. There's something to be said for being an "artiste!!!" for some people. And I think that means a lot to guys like Moxley. Guys like Matt Hardy seem to be the same way. 

• JeremyStrain and Mike in STL like this

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

I get the being an artist part of it. It's just odd that being an artist means putting your body through pure hell. It's like saying to Mick Foley "hold my beer" and really, he doesn't need to do that. Neither does Kenny Omega for that matter. 

Maybe I feel like guys like Mox and Omega can put on a five star match on their own merit. Have a few bumps in there, but the barbed wire times 10 all over the place, the broken glass, exposing the wood of the ring and landing face first on it. There might be a fine line between bumps, and mutilation. They blurred that line often. (Showed Omega's back on Dynamite last night. Ew). It wasn't your typical tables, ladders, chairs, no DQ stuff. That stuff also makes it great, but I don't want it to happen often to where you get numb to it.

Maybe we know too much about these guys nowadays, and Renee is too much of a sweetheart to have to watch her man do that. 

I already respect those two a ton, but after watching that last night it takes the respect level up further. Which is why they do it. But they didn't need to do it, is all I'm getting at. Someone who needs to be put over would need to go through that hell. Not these two who are over a million times over. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

Been watching AEW since around November or so.  Really enjoying it.  That's the wrestling I remember enjoying from my youth.  I don't know why I can't get in to WWE - I try to make sure I'm not just being a contrarian, but I probably am.

• Adam Wolff and Mike in STL like this

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

Been watching AEW since around November or so.  Really enjoying it.  That's the wrestling I remember enjoying from my youth.  I don't know why I can't get in to WWE - I try to make sure I'm not just being a contrarian, but I probably am.

I have tried to get into it, but I really do not see much difference and the talent level in the WWE is IMO, much better.

Ranking the 4 Wrestling shows.

I would say

NXT

Raw

AEW

Smack Down

@mikeghg

#13 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

Shoemaker said that Luke Harper will be showing up on AEW this Spring.

With NXT on Wednesday I get why SD was moved to Friday but since it's moved I almost never watch it at all.

#14 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, they're holding serve with certain storylines until Luke/Brodie Lee shows up. 

AEW is...good. You can tell that they're still feeling their way around, but even with that, they are doing -really- well. 

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

I have tried to get into it, but I really do not see much difference and the talent level in the WWE is IMO, much better.

Ranking the 4 Wrestling shows.

I would say

NXT

Raw

AEW

Smack Down

Not gonna lie, the dead crowds at Raw and SmackDown just kill me.  I don't know what happened or what the answer is.  I agree with you that WWE has some terrific talent.  So why don't the live crowds give a crap about anything going on?  Probably not a fair way to judge, but it's just hard to get invested when the crowd is so dead.

I would like to check out NXT but time is limited.  Once the kids are out of the house maybe lol.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Not gonna lie, the dead crowds at Raw and SmackDown just kill me.  I don't know what happened or what the answer is.  I agree with you that WWE has some terrific talent.  So why don't the live crowds give a crap about anything going on?  Probably not a fair way to judge, but it's just hard to get invested when the crowd is so dead.

I would like to check out NXT but time is limited.  Once the kids are out of the house maybe lol.

Interesting.  I can honestly say, I pay very little attention to the crowd noise on TV. I think at times can nose is used. I have been to plenty of live events, including six Wrestle Manias and it always feels noisy in the arena's.  The dump downtown always feels like it is 90 degrees and that keeps the crowd down.

NXT is a good watch, IMO the best wrestling show on live TV, but I remember the days of young kids.  I used all my free time on a necessity called sleep.

@mikeghg

#17 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

Last night's AEW is, by far, the best episode they've aired. 

Kenny Omega finally looking like he should.

• Mike in STL likes this

#18 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

Agreed. Great show.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:31 AM

Last night's AEW is, by far, the best episode they've aired. 

Kenny Omega finally looking like he should.

Thats the thing with AEW. I've seen WWE pay per views that were far worse than a regular episode of Dynamite (Last night was the best and Omega/Pac for 30 minutes was 5 stars IMO). 

When AEW is good, it is king. But the depth isn't there yet to be the best top to bottom week in and out. The tag teams are real tag teams and put tag teams to shame in WWE other than probably the peak of New Day.

I listened to Masked Man this past week and they mentioned something that I had been thinking. Along the lines of Omega is the best in the world, and they aren't even really pimping him up as that, to the causal fan who is tuning in for Moxley/Jericho. Last night they reminded the world who is the best in the world (And it's not Shane McMahon). Omega is amazing every time he's in the ring. He's doing stuff no one else does. But sometimes it would be in a tag team match with a random partner, and they might lose, and it's on the middle of the show and gets buried.

They didn't place him properly when AEW started. Then again isn't he Vice President to Cody? So maybe it was Omega's choice to be placed in that fashion, not steal the spotlight from the jump. But dude. It's not stealing the spotlight if you are the man. Set the bar for the others in the company to reach.

@BSLMikeRandall

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

Thats the thing with AEW. I've seen WWE pay per views that were far worse than a regular episode of Dynamite (Last night was the best and Omega/Pac for 30 minutes was 5 stars IMO). 

When AEW is good, it is king. But the depth isn't there yet to be the best top to bottom week in and out. The tag teams are real tag teams and put tag teams to shame in WWE other than probably the peak of New Day.

I listened to Masked Man this past week and they mentioned something that I had been thinking. Along the lines of Omega is the best in the world, and they aren't even really pimping him up as that, to the causal fan who is tuning in for Moxley/Jericho. Last night they reminded the world who is the best in the world (And it's not Shane McMahon). Omega is amazing every time he's in the ring. He's doing stuff no one else does. But sometimes it would be in a tag team match with a random partner, and they might lose, and it's on the middle of the show and gets buried.

They didn't place him properly when AEW started. Then again isn't he Vice President to Cody? So maybe it was Omega's choice to be placed in that fashion, not steal the spotlight from the jump. But dude. It's not stealing the spotlight if you are the man. Set the bar for the others in the company to reach.

Yeah the end of this nailed it. He's one of the owners, anything he's doing on screen has his full sign off. But if you remember back when they first got started one of their big things was that companies make mistakes by going TOO far in on guys carrying the company. You've got to spread the load and spotlight and let the work shine, not just shove one guy down your throat and tell you to love or hate him.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=