#181 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,879 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Jesus Christ..Thank you Baby Jesus!  8 yards....not 10.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#182 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

It’s a win but only putting up 23 is pretty uninspiring

#183 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

It's a shame Jackson didn't get the all time rushing record today.  A couple of holding penalties cost him the mark. 

#184 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

Only reason it wasn't 23-10 was the opening kickoff. Not worried about the close margin. Two division wins in a row. 4-2. Be competitive in Seattle and try to get to 5-2 going to the bye. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#185 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

It’s a win but only putting up 23 is pretty uninspiring

Nothing ever comes easy in the John Harbaugh era.  The Miami game must seem like a wild phantasmagoria now. 

#186 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

Only reason it wasn't 23-10 was the opening kickoff. Not worried about the close margin. Two division wins in a row. 4-2. Be competitive in Seattle and try to get to 5-2 going to the bye. 

Don't look now but Seattle just took the lead in Cleveland.  How great would that be? 

#187 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

There's no reason this game shouldn't have been a blow out.  But when you turn the ball over, commit 10 penalties and don't finish drives, a close final score is what happens.  The Ravens just aren't a smart team and it's going to cost them against good teams.  

#188 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

Seattle wins!

#189 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Seattle wins!

Sweet!  And we're going to need this cushion going forward since we could easily be 4-4 after 8 games. 

#190 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

There's no reason this game shouldn't have been a blow out.  But when you turn the ball over, commit 10 penalties and don't finish drives, a close final score is what happens.  The Ravens just aren't a smart team and it's going to cost them against good teams.  

Sounds like an easy cop out to have when they do lose a game...since good teams are tougher to beat. 

Wasn't perfect. But if they put up 500 yards of offense weekly, they won't be losing many games, including to the best teams.

This same Bengals teams lost to Seattle by 1. Lost to the 4-1 Bills by 3. Lost as time expired to the Cardinals. That is how narrow the margin is between 3-2 to 0-5 in their case. They aren't the Dolphins.  Would you expect a 59-0 blowout if the Bengals came in here at 3-2, or 2-3?

@BSLMikeRandall

#191 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like an easy cop out to have when they do lose a game...since good teams are tougher to beat. 

Wasn't perfect. But if they put up 500 yards of offense weekly, they won't be losing many games, including to the best teams.

This same Bengals teams lost to Seattle by 1. Lost to the 4-1 Bills by 3. Lost as time expired to the Cardinals. That is how narrow the margin is between 3-2 to 0-5 in their case. They aren't the Dolphins.  Would you expect a 59-0 blowout if the Bengals came in here at 3-2, or 2-3?

No, but when you pile up that much yardage and time of possession and the game is still hanging by a wire with a couple of minutes to go, that's unacceptable to me.  I'm not complaining about the win per se because being 4-2 is a hell of a lot better than 2-4.  I'll take it as anyone would.  But from what I've seen, I just don't see how they beat Seattle or New England.  Certain aspects of their play will have to change and quickly.  I don't think they'll get blown out in either game but I have serious doubts about the defensive talent on this team and it will cost them games against the better teams.  

#192 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

No, but when you pile up that much yardage and time of possession and the game is still hanging by a wire with a couple of minutes to go, that's unacceptable to me. I'm not complaining about the win per se because being 4-2 is a hell of a lot better than 2-4. I'll take it as anyone would. But from what I've seen, I just don't see how they beat Seattle or New England. Certain aspects of their play will have to change and quickly. I don't think they'll get blown out in either game but I have serious doubts about the defensive talent on this team and it will cost them games against the better teams.

Hanging by a wire? They were up 13 inside of two minutes to play. The TD they allowed, some would call “garbage time” if Lamar scored it. Impossible to get onside kicks anymore so I was never in doubt about winning this one once the Ravens took 9+ minutes off the clock in the 4th.
@BSLMikeRandall

#193 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:52 AM

Hanging by a wire? They were up 13 inside of two minutes to play. The TD they allowed, some would call “garbage time” if Lamar scored it. Impossible to get onside kicks anymore so I was never in doubt about winning this one once the Ravens took 9+ minutes off the clock in the 4th.

I agree with you especially about onside kicks.  The rule changes have made the onside kick nearly impossible.  The NFL competition committee is going to have to address this.  They can't be easy, but they shouldn't be impossible either.  Perhaps changing the rule from 10 yards to 7 yards might work. 

#194 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:01 AM

I agree with you especially about onside kicks. The rule changes have made the onside kick nearly impossible. The NFL competition committee is going to have to address this. They can't be easy, but they shouldn't be impossible either. Perhaps changing the rule from 10 yards to 7 yards might work.

Yeah. The Bengals got it at 8 yards yesterday and it seems to be the best way to get it. But in the name of player safety they won’t move it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#195 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM

I think the onside kick time, has passed.  The league doesn't want the high collision pileups that tend to happen on on side kicks.  

Unrelated, but from the stands it looked like the Bengal 3 in for the left was over the LOS early.

@mikeghg

#196 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

I think the onside kick time, has passed.  The league doesn't want the high collision pileups that tend to happen on on side kicks.  

Unrelated, but from the stands it looked like the Bengal 3 in for the left was over the LOS early.

It sure seems that way.   I mean i guess its not much different than before.  You still need someone to mishandle the kick.  

With the side not being overloaded anymore, I think the onus goes on to ST coaches and kickers to figure out different ways to do the kick (like the Ravens tried to do).   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=