#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

It is really awful.  I feel like every year we talk about how this year is the worst we have ever seen.

There are terrible calls every week all the time.

The Dallas issue yesterday was ridiculous.  To call the Cooper pass incomplete, causing the Cowboys to have to use a challenge was as bad a missed call as I have seen.

Something needs to happen with the officiating and the replay system.  I love replay but the implementation of it can be terrible at times.  When it is that blatant and that horrible of a missed call, you shouldn't lose a challenge.  I don't know how you judge that but common sense has to take over at some point.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

Need to start with calling less penalties. 

They can call a penalty every play if they wanted.  They should just swallow the whistle aside from the egregious. 

• SportsGuy and Mike in STL like this

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

The officials make 6 figures to work 20 days a year, plus playoffs.

I’d say they should be at training camps getting work in. The things that are “points of emphasis”, be a stickler about it in camp.

But the NFL doesn’t want them to be there. And at the money they’re making, why would they want to work more? It’s easy to see why the referees got their new CBA done with no hiccups, and the players are most likely heading to a work stoppage.

They miss the very obvious. Last nights game they called a pick play PI on the Colts, and there was only one receiver there. A pick requires two players. They threw the red flag, and still didn’t change it. Replay isn’t getting the plays right and that’s what it’s there for. There should never be 20 penalties in a game, and that’s about the norm now. Half of those are borderline, and half of those aren’t even close.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

I’d say they should be at training camps getting work in. The things that are “points of emphasis”, be a stickler about it in camp.

But the NFL doesn’t want them to be there. And at the money they’re making, why would they want to work more? It’s easy to see why the referees got their new CBA done with no hiccups, and the players are most likely heading to a work stoppage.

They miss the very obvious. Last nights game they called a pick play PI on the Colts, and there was only one receiver there. A pick requires two players. They threw the red flag, and still didn’t change it. Replay isn’t getting the plays right and that’s what it’s there for. There should never be 20 penalties in a game, and that’s about the norm now. Half of those are borderline, and half of those aren’t even close.

They are doing a lot more with full time refs now...changed a lot of things a year or 2 ago.

#5 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

A  lot of coaches were complaining during the offseason that there were a lot of penalties not being called, particularly offensive and defensive holding. As a result, more of those calls are now being made.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Steve55 likes this

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

It seems like a guarantee that any return over 5 yards will get called back on a penalty.

#7 Norman

Norman
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

It seems like a guarantee that any return over 5 yards will get called back on a penalty.

They really don't want any returns now anyway. 

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

SI: NFL's Officiating Problem Gets Worse and Worse Each Week: Traina Thoughts
https://www.si.com/e...-calls-referees

#9 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

The refs do show up at camps.

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

The refs do show up at camps.

The actual refs, or are they high school refs, maybe college refs? Cause the last time I was out there, Harbaugh specifically addressed that he wishes the NFL game day refs would be out there but the league won’t allow it. Maybe that changed recently and I missed it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

They are doing a lot more with full time refs now...changed a lot of things a year or 2 ago.

I'm pretty sure the NFL just eliminated the full time ref program. 

https://profootballt...iating-program/

It’s undoubtedly a bargaining tactic by the NFL, which showed in 2012 that it’s more than willing to compromise the quality of officiating (and in turn the integrity of the game) by locking out the officials and hiring replacements. After three embarrassing weekends, the league resolved the work stoppage.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Who is convinced that if the same level of PI occurs as the Rams/Sanits one, leading to the rule change, that the refs still don't overturn the incorrect call? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

Who is convinced that if the same level of PI occurs as the Rams/Sanits one, leading to the rule change, that the refs still don't overturn the incorrect call? 

They were talking about this today on Get up.

Basically, the thought is that they will overturn things for playoff games.  They don't want a playoff game decided because of it but otherwise, its human error and they don't really want to change things.

I have no idea why you have a rule, made such a big deal about it and ultimately will just ignore it.  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Jobs, playoffs, money, etc...its on the line every week and when you miss blatant calls, review them and still go with it, that's a problem.

The Ravens easily could have lost against Pitt and the missed calls in that game, including the non PI call on Andrews (which was similar to last nights non call on Tate that wasn't overturned) would have been part of the reason you lost.

• Mike in STL likes this

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

They were talking about this today on Get up.

Basically, the thought is that they will overturn things for playoff games. They don't want a playoff game decided because of it but otherwise, its human error and they don't really want to change things.

I have no idea why you have a rule, made such a big deal about it and ultimately will just ignore it. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Jobs, playoffs, money, etc...its on the line every week and when you miss blatant calls, review them and still go with it, that's a problem.

The Ravens easily could have lost against Pitt and the missed calls in that game, including the non PI call on Andrews (which was similar to last nights non call on Tate that wasn't overturned) would have been part of the reason you lost.

Right. They have replay to get calls right. They are currently, not getting calls right. I feel like getting rid of it makes the arrogant officials “win” this grudge match where they feel they are never wrong. However, I’m at a loss for what is the next step. Coaches literally calling out officials in press conferences and suck it up and take the fines. Might be worth the fines to bring more attention.
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

They blow.

More issues this weekend.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

The end of the Dallas/New York game was embarrassing. Like 5 flags in a row, maybe one of them justified.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

https://profootballt...ns-chiefs-call/

@DJ_McCann

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

The end of the Dallas/New York game was embarrassing. Like 5 flags in a row, maybe one of them justified.

Heard about this today.  6 straight plays where a penalty was called.

Here is the thing I don't hear anyone mentioning....why do the players keep "cheating" (thats essentially what they are doing when they hold or something like that).

If the players are committing penalties, they should be called...or, you re-do the rule book and change the wording of each penalty.  

The amount of penalties are annoying but its less annoying to me that just terrible on the field calls, like say what happened in Cle/Sea yesterday with the DK Metcalf catch.  Some of those egregious misses are just so bad and then teams have to waste challenges.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

If officials would only throw flags at egregious, then we might be on to something. Then the not overturning any PI challenges makes sense when the coaches want a ticky tack one called.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

If officials would only throw flags at egregious, then we might be on to something. Then the not overturning any PI challenges makes sense when the coaches want a ticky tack one called.

And that's the crux of things for me.

You call minor ticky tack things all the time but if you miss game changing major calls, that's a big issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=