#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

They will have it there next season. The problem is that the players can only survive so long so the owners are content to starve them out. My NHL friend is looking at retiring early because of it. Sucks.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. A lot of hockey players aren't loaded rich, so this has to hurt a lot of folks. I'm glad to hear the '14 Winter Classic would still be in Ann Arbor if it isn't played this year.

#42 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

They will have it there next season. The problem is that the players can only survive so long so the owners are content to starve them out. My NHL friend is looking at retiring early because of it. Sucks.

This is kind've why I'm surprised the players haven't caved a bit here. Seeing as salary rollbacks are almost inevitable, doesn't that still beat not getting paid at all?

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

This is kind've why I'm surprised the players haven't caved a bit here. Seeing as salary rollbacks are almost inevitable, doesn't that still beat not getting paid at all?

It's setting a precedent if they let it happen again the owners will do this every 5 years. They have to stick to their guns here.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Rollbacks are just asinine... they never should have agreed to it in the first place, and certainly shouldn't now. I was with the owners on the 50/50 split, but the rollback issue is just not even remotely fair. I think the hundred millionaires have enough money that they don't have to do these rollbacks. Greed is the worst.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

ESPN: Larry Quinn: Players the ones getting hurt

http://espn.go.com/b...n-cba-stalemate

"I really believe there’s a deal to be made here,” Quinn told ESPN.com this week. "And I’m shocked that given the money involved. ... I mean, the person that gets hurt the most in this is the player. You’ve got a diminishing asset, and unlike the owners, everything they make is a profit and it cannot be replaced. That’s just the nature of the beast. The fact that their limited livelihood would be jeopardized once again, something is just wrong. It makes you wonder what interests are being represented and why."

@levineps

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

http://prohockeytalk... ... off-table/

Apparently it was good through today. I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a very disappointing day.

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

ESPN: NHL cancels November games

http://espn.go.com/n...s-talks-impasse

The annual outdoor game may be canceled as early as next week, a source with knowledge of the league's plans told ESPNNewYork.com.

@levineps

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

ESPN: NHL cancels November games

http://espn.go.com/n...s-talks-impasse

If they cancel the Winter Classic at any point before mid-December, the season's over.

Two seasons missed in eight years. How does that league recover?

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

If they cancel the Winter Classic at any point before mid-December, the season's over.

They need to act soon on the WC as mentioned in the article, since the NHL will stand to lose millions if the game isn't played.

People will come back, it's just a matter of how many. All the people who say they won't, I'd love to see them keep their word. I'm sure some won't, but people are suckers in general on this kind of stuff.
@levineps

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

It's canceled unofficially already, official announcement should come Monday. As soon as they "took their ball and went home" yesterday it ended any Hail Mary for the WC this year.

It's funny, I'm watching Last Resort this morning, and the way they are negotiating back and forth made me think of the NHL. Don't want to ruin the episode for anyone who watches, but if you do keep that in the back of your head and it's amusing.
@JeremyMStrain

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

They need to act soon on the WC as mentioned in the article, since the NHL will stand to lose millions if the game isn't played.

People will come back, it's just a matter of how many. All the people who say they won't, I'd love to see them keep their word. I'm sure some won't, but people are suckers in general on this kind of stuff.

Yep. I want to say I'll be done if the season is missed... but I won't. I just love hockey and the Caps too much.
  • DuffMan likes this

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yep. I want to say I'll be done if the season is missed... but I won't. I just love hockey and the Caps too much.

Same here. I just said, well look at the bright side, we have extra Christmas money now.
@JeremyMStrain

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Same here. I just said, well look at the bright side, we have extra Christmas money now.

LOL, so true.

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

ESPN: Labor sides have no plans to meet

http://espn.go.com/n...lassic-canceled

A source familiar with the league's plan told ESPNNewYork.com that the league is expected to cancel the Winter Classic on Thursday, the source said.

@levineps

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sigh this is where I'm at too. As much as this whole situation ticks me off and I might say I'm done there's no way I am. If anything this might mean I might be able to find tix for cheaper prices on StubHub and such when they return.
If they cancel the WC like it's looking like they are I don't expect to see any hockey at all this year and that's a shame. :(

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

ESPN: Players, owners waste good thing

http://espn.go.com/n...aste-nhl-growth

The Winter Classic represents all the positives that came out of the ashes of the last lockout. It represents the fans' loyalty to the game and the value of pushing the envelope, and it is a shining example of things that work for a league that has so often flirted only with things that go bump in the night.

@levineps

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

I can't believe we're a day or two removed from the WC being cancelled and there are no signs of any movement from either side. Absolutely sickening and maddening. This sucks. At least Black Ops 2 comes out in a couple of weeks.

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I can't believe we're a day or two removed from the WC being cancelled and there are no signs of any movement from either side. Absolutely sickening and maddening. This sucks. At least Black Ops 2 comes out in a couple of weeks.

Like I said the other day, it's been done for a couple days, they just haven't announced it yet. Keeping up appearances by creating deadlines to make it seem like they are more interested in the season than the demands, but they aren't.
@JeremyMStrain

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

http://prohockeytalk... ... come-back/

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/three-big-reasons-the-fans-might-not-come-back/

People will comeback, it's just a matter of time. Hockey is a big enough niche, that's it's not going to fall off the planet. Every single time of these sports leagues has a labor dispute, we get faced with the same questions. Sure, the NHL will need to market itself better, but with a good product on the ice, I have no doubt it will survive fine.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=