217 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

Btw, Germany has done a really good job from what I understand with dealing with Nazism. They preserve certain sites relating to it and that era in their history, but they ban the symbols and don't have statues of Hitler and other prominent Nazi's all over the place.

Yep. I toured the Dachau concentration camp near Munich, and it is very well done. Serves as both a memorial to those who suffered and died there as well as a reminder of what can happen when good people look away and do nothing.

How does Robert E. Lee get a statue in Baltimore in the first place?

That's what I thought. All those years I lived there and I never knew it existed. Seems about as unlikely a statue to see in Baltimore as one of Bob Irsay.
  • You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Yesterday I was reading an article about a pastor in Chicago who wants a George Washington monument taken down because he was a slave owner, wanted some streets renamed, etc...I think removing  Washington statue might be crossing some kind of "line" but something the pastor said struck a chord with me -- he said:

Dukes said he’s not trying to erase history. He said black people should be able to decide who is and is not honored in their communities.

“I think we should be able to identify and decide who we declare heroes in or communities, because we have to tell the stories to our children of who these persons are,” he said.

He said parks, statues, or other monuments honoring Presidents Washington and Jackson might be appropriate elsewhere, but not in black neighborhoods.

“In an African-American community, it’s a slap in the face and it’s a disgrace for them to honor someone who was a slave owner.

And that's what I completely stand behind. The people who live in a city, town, neighborhood, etc...should have the right to display the monuments and statues that mean something to them. Obviously a Taney and Robert E. Lee statue that was erected almost 100 years ago when the city was still lead by racist whites who were sympathetic to the southern Lost Cause isn't going to go over well today in a predominately black city, such as Baltimore. So they should be removed. And they were. And I commend Mayor Pugh for doing this without fanfare, without large protests, without any conflict. There was potential for the city to devolve into the chaos that happened in Charlottesville, and by removing them in the middle of the night, all that was avoided.

And taking these statues down doesn't "erase history". History cannot be erased.

• You Play to Win the Game, The Epic, DJ MC and 1 other like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Thats my point. It's a half-hearted gesture that is getting praise. No one knew who Roger Taney was 2 weeks ago. But this is some milestone day all of a sudden. 

Are they supposed to go and sink the last ship that didn't sink during the attacks on Pearl Harbor in the name of erasing history? Or can we accept that in hindsight there were some shitty people that existed 150-200 years ago and move on to things that really matter, instead of half assing "change"?

And I bet many of the Taney or Lee sympathizers had no idea those statues were in place either.

• DJ MC likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

When I lived in Frederick, I could see Taney's grave from my house.  So I think that makes me an expert on him, unless that logic only applies to Russia.

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, McNulty and 1 other like this

#25 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

FTR: For a while, I (wrongly) believed that Taneytown was named for him, before I looked him up for a project. 

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hey, I just realized that I can also see the Taney ship from my office window!  I really am an expert on all things Taney....  except for Taneytown, which I always assumed was named after him.

• The Epic likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

I think the Ray Lewis statue should be taken down because he played a role in death of 2 people.

Babe Ruth was a drinker. I don't think we should give a statue to someone who was fine with that.

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

I think the Ray Lewis statue should be taken down because he played a role in death of 2 people.

Babe Ruth was a drinker. I don't think we should give a statue to someone who was fine with that.

Just stop
  • mweb08 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Just stop

No...I am offended!!! :)

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

No...I am offended!!! :)

You're not, though.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

I see the mayor of Richmond wants the statues that line Monument Row removed. I think that's misguided. Richmond was the capital of the confederacy. Removing the statues doesn't change that. Put up some plaques putting the statues into context. Explain what they did, why they did it and who they did it to.

This country was built on doing horrible, horrible things to many groups of people and we should always be reminded of that, in the right context.

#32 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

I'm in on this. All in.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

You're not, though.

Come on Sean! In offended by everything!

In all seriousness, there are certain causes that I think are worthwhile(and some of this falls in that category) but this country has become so PC, it's absolutely pathetic.

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Come on Sean! In offended by everything!

In all seriousness, there are certain causes that I think are worthwhile(and some of this falls in that category) but this country has become so PC, it's absolutely pathetic.

We have the most un-PC president in office right now.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

We have the most un-PC president in office right now.

And most of the country hates him for it!

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

I know you're mostly joking (although being serious about the country being PC) but you can't see people being offended by statutes that represent perhaps the worst time in our country's history?

And then comparing that to a baseball player who liked to drink?  Seems odd. 

And, believe me, I am far from someone who is easily offended by stuff. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

And most of the country hates him for it!

Most of the country voted him into office.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Most of the country voted him into office.

Well actually that's not even true. #lostpopularvote

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Well actually that's not even true. #lostpopularvote

Touche.

But he's still Prez.

#40 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

95dcd9b86e262c5cf67dabf3972cd44f--intere

• You Play to Win the Game and DJ MC like this

@fuzydunlop

1 user(s) are reading this topic