• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

ESPN is a giant, that nobody is going to slay in the near-term. That said, I like what NBC Sports Talk is putting together.

This looks like a much more viable competitor than CNN SI, or Fox Sports ever did.

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

ESPN is a giant, that nobody is going to slay in the near-term. That said, I like what NBC Sports Talk is putting together.

This looks like a much more viable competitor than CNN SI, or Fox Sports ever did.

I read it every day.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I read it every day.

Yep, I like their online format. Though I would like to see some of their writers (who are plenty capable) write some longer form thoughts.

I like how their talent is being used on their TV shows. Their 'SportsCenter' esque show is really good. Also enjoy their Pro Football Talk show.

#4 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

ESPN has unfortunately developed a bit of a problem in that people love the games that they provide, but think the actual news reporting is suspect ... and there's certainly some validity to that (look at how little they cover the NHL now as compared to when they were televising NHL games). People don't believe they'll be objective.

I don't know if NBC will run into the same problem or not, but I'm starting to keep an eye on them more. I also wonder if they're going to get involved with the Big East (or for that matter other FBS conferences) for TV if they decide they haven't gotten a good enough offer from ESPN.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

ESPN has unfortunately developed a bit of a problem in that people love the games that they provide, but think the actual news reporting is suspect ... and there's certainly some validity to that (look at how little they cover the NHL now as compared to when they were televising NHL games). People don't believe they'll be objective.

I don't know if NBC will run into the same problem or not, but I'm starting to keep an eye on them more. I also wonder if they're going to get involved with the Big East (or for that matter other FBS conferences) for TV if they decide they haven't gotten a good enough offer from ESPN.

ESPN's problem is complacency. They can do essentially anything they want because, while some die-hards have switched to the sport-specific shows on MLB and NFL and NHL Networks and NBA TV, most people still get that information and highlights from Baseball Tonight and NFL Live and the like, and before now no one had anything close to the quality of Sportscenter while at the same time just ripping it off.

Competition makes everything better. If NBC can start to grab some of the audience and develop personalities individually and an overall unique voice for the channel, ESPN will have to make changes. Buying and developing the online resources was a good start; Mike Florio is everywhere on NBC's football broadcasts and we're even seeing a lot of Craig Calcaterra talking baseball. I've always liked Kuselias as a host, too.

It will take a long time, but there could be a future where ESPN--if still the highest-rated channel--isn't the dominant source for sports news like it has been for 30 years.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=