166 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Mike Miller is on a roll this weekend, as Maryland just picked up a commitment from another 3-star TE. CJ Dippre (Jermyn, PA) chose the Terps over offers from Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, and Virginia, among others. Unlike the other two tight ends in the 2021 class, he's much bigger (6'5", 245 lbs) and should add a more physical presence. He's an excellent athlete, and was being recruited by some other teams as a DE.

Maryland's class is currently ranked #13 in the country, and #5 in the Big Ten.

I think that's actually 4 TE commitments for the 2021 class so far. I didn't see you mention Bearns from St. Frances. I know it was a need position, but 4 in one class seems like overkill, unless they already plan to play one or two at another position.

#42 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

I think that's actually 4 TE commitments for the 2021 class so far. I didn't see you mention Bearns from St. Frances. I know it was a need position, but 4 in one class seems like overkill, unless they already plan to play one or two at another position.

Correct. Dippre could definitely be moved to the defensive side of the ball, likely 5-technique in the 3-4 if he bulks up a little. And Wolff and Husbands are both small enough that they could be flexed out as wide receivers.

Locksley loves flexibility with his tight ends (and running backs for that matter). Time and time again last season, he'd put two tight ends on the field and go to a spread set with both of them in the slots. That gives him the ability to go no-huddle to a power set without subbing.

@BSLZackKiesel

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

Locksley has done a nice job keeping Maryland in the fans eye with some stellar recruiting.  I hope the recruiting success begins to transition to the field, because clearly Locks and the staff are working hard.

@mikeghg

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

It looked like they were set to make another big addition to the DL today with Tommy Akingbesote, but he put off his announcement to tomorrow. He's a DT from Flowers HS, 24x7 has him rated as a 4-star, and a high 3-star in their composite. Hopefully the delay doesn't portend a change of heart.

Love the haul they are getting from this class for the D-line, and so badly needed. Fingers crossed that they can keep all these guys on board in the event this season (assuming there is one) isn't any more successful than last year.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLZackKiesel and Mike B like this

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

It looked like they were set to make another big addition to the DL today with Tommy Akingbesote, but he put off his announcement to tomorrow. He's a DT from Flowers HS, 24x7 has him rated as a 4-star, and a high 3-star in their composite. Hopefully the delay doesn't portend a change of heart.

Love the haul they are getting from this class for the D-line, and so badly needed. Fingers crossed that they can keep all these guys on board in the event this season (assuming there is one) isn't any more successful than last year.

Committed!
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#46 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:32 PM

Locksley’s alluding to another commitment tonight on his Twitter account. Stay tuned.
@BSLZackKiesel

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

We're still waiting on who the second commitment of the night is, but with the addition of Akingbesote the 2021 class is currently ranked #11 in the country, and #5 in the Big Ten (just behind Minnesota and Iowa).

Also worth noting that Rutgers is putting together a spectacular class which is currently ranked #18 in the country, just behind Georgia. Greg Schiano is making an immediate impact in his return to New Jersey and is locking down the state's talent.

@BSLZackKiesel

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

We're still waiting on who the second commitment of the night is, but with the addition of Akingbesote the 2021 class is currently ranked #11 in the country, and #5 in the Big Ten (just behind Minnesota and Iowa).

Also worth noting that Rutgers is putting together a spectacular class which is currently ranked #18 in the country, just behind Georgia. Greg Schiano is making an immediate impact in his return to New Jersey and is locking down the state's talent.

Probably one of those "silent commits" that you don't hear about for several days. I'll wager it's Mattheus Carroll, the DE from Gilman. He's been a UM lean and I think I read somewhere that he would make a decision in the near future.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#49 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:01 AM

Probably one of those "silent commits" that you don't hear about for several days. I'll wager it's Mattheus Carroll, the DE from Gilman. He's been a UM lean and I think I read somewhere that he would make a decision in the near future.

Carroll just shortened his list of teams down to 3 (Terps are included) which would seem to suggest he wasn’t the other commitment last night.
@BSLZackKiesel

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

The B10 is really powerful.  Maryland #11 in the country, which is fantastic, yet still ranked 5th in the B10.  

@mikeghg

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Maryland Football has generated most of the local sports interest since the conclusion of the NFL draft.  Good on Locks, keep it coming.

@mikeghg

#52 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:59 PM

For those interested, I took a very early stab at projecting the 2021 depth chart as it stands right now. I'm sure I'm still missing some players, but this should give a baseline idea of what to expect at this point next season.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

0001.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:37 PM

PressBox: Four Early Takeaways From Maryland Football’s 2021 Recruiting Class

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

Detroit Free Press: Why Michigan football's East Coast recruiting is threatened by Maryland, Rutgers

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:23 AM

Detroit Free Press: Why Michigan football's East Coast recruiting is threatened by Maryland, Rutgers

I think Poggi may be right.  If Maryland fans, alumni and staff can be patient, the program may see results not seen since the Bobby Ross days.

@mikeghg

#56 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

3-star DE Terrance Butler (Baltimore, MD) has committed to Maryland. He's ranked as the 25th-best player in the state, and projects as a JACK in Jon Hoke's 3-4 defensive scheme. He chose the Terps over offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Tennessee, among others.

The 2021 class is currently ranked #12 in the country, and #5 in the Big Ten.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#57 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Williams named LSU, Maryland, and Oklahoma as his Top 3 schools today. We've seen Locksley pull off some recruiting stunners before, but pulling Williams away from the Sooners would be a miraculous feat at this point.

Williams has announced he’ll be committing on July 4th.
@BSLZackKiesel

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Williams has announced he’ll be committing on July 4th.

Keep aiming high.  I wonder how signing Tua affects the recruiting of Williams.

@mikeghg

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:38 PM

Keep aiming high.  I wonder how signing Tua affects the recruiting of Williams.

No affect at all, since Tua plays for the Dolphins.  :wink:

With Jackson set to have his eligibility expire after this season, that still only leaves two scholarship QBs on the 2021 roster as of right now. I doubt the potential competition in his first season has much of anything to do with Caleb's decision. From what I read it's primarily about which program gives him the best shot to develop as a QB. That means all the predictions of him choosing Oklahoma will probably come to fruition.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

Williams official to Oklahoma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=