#82 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:04 PM

I don't get what the purpose of approaching like that is, from either side.

Re: the bonus deferral, I had the same thought.  I think 50/50 is fine but 45/45/10 is the same thing.

Have more players in the pool next year like that is terrible for the players.

It impacts all teams the same. 

Exposure doesn't change the number of kids drafted in the first round.

Just do the draft.  Teams already have lists and they are rougher than normal with less near-term exposure, so what.

If a player doesn't want to be drafted (because they think they can improve their position), declare it before the draft.

You have to offer a player 80% of slot (not 40%) to get compensation next year.

If we aren't running the minor leagues, send EVERYONE to the ST facility, test everyone, rent a hotel and play internal games (or with another nearby team) for development purposes until such time as we're going to play games that count (officially).  In the meantime, just go there and get work in.

It's not perfect.  Guess what, nothing is going to be perfect right now.   

#83 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:51 AM

The more info that comes out, the more this is such a kick in the balls to these high school and college kids.

A 5 round draft is absurd.

#84 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

All because they don’t want to pay them.

I hope it’s 10 rounds

Do teams still get to keep all of their draft pool money or does that become prorated?

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

All because they don’t want to pay them.

I hope it’s 10 rounds

Do teams still get to keep all of their draft pool money or does that become prorated?

All of the draft pool money is allocated to the first 10 rounds normally.  If you spend more than $125k on anyone after round 10 that gets deducted from your pool.

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

All of the draft pool money is allocated to the first 10 rounds normally.  If you spend more than $125k on anyone after round 10 that gets deducted from your pool.

Ok..so it makes sense to keep it 10 rounds for that reason alone imo.

But if you go to 5 rounds, can you spend the same money I wonder?

That could be huge if you can.

#87 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

Draft Rundown

• No later than July
  • Only 5 rounds, though MLB has the option to increase (IMO they won't)
  • Slot values will be the same as 2019 for the next two years (2020 and 2021)
  • Bonuses will be split at 10% at time of signing, 45% in 2021 and 45% in 2022 for this year
  • Undrafted free agents will be able to sign up to $20K

• Mackus likes this

#88 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

Max you can sign an undrafted free agent is $20k.

What a load of crap. 

• Mackus likes this

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:56 AM

My guess is that if they cut it off after 5 rounds you'd get the portion of the pool that is allocated for the first 5 rounds.  It's set up similar to the NFL draft pick chart value, so it's heavily weighted early.  Could probably go find a pick-by-pick allocation somewhere and know for sure, but I'd assume that something like 80% of the pool would be allocated to the first 5 rounds.

If you can spend the full allocation, I don't really see how that would be a huge advantage over the current system for teams (it'd certainly be better for the guys who get drafted).  Teams already have the strategic option of effectively doing that in normal drafts, you could take 4-year seniors who might not be drafted otherwise and throw $10k at them, then the rest of that allocation for the pick you can spend elsewhere.  Teams do this already.

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:58 AM

Max you can sign an undrafted free agent is $20k.

What a load of crap. 

Well this does stop teams from buying UDFA because they have the money(like LA and NY for example)

I don’t get why the bonus money is going to take 2 years to pay out but whatever.

I just want to make sure there is a draft and the Os can add some elite guys to the system.

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:58 AM

Draft Rundown

• No later than July
  • Only 5 rounds, though MLB has the option to increase (IMO they won't)
  • Slot values will be the same as 2019 for the next two years (2020 and 2021)
  • Bonuses will be split at 10% at time of signing, 45% in 2021 and 45% in 2022 for this year
  • Undrafted free agents will be able to sign up to $20K

This is a big scam from MLB.  Shame on them.  Pushing bonuses out for two years seems completely unnecessary.  Just make it tied to the resumption of games.

• Chris B likes this

#92 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:59 AM

If it is 5 rounds, how many picks do the O's have? I know I could look it up but I am so busy being quarantined in my house :)

#93 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:12 AM

This is a big scam from MLB.  Shame on them.  Pushing bonuses out for two years seems completely unnecessary.  Just make it tied to the resumption of games.

It's a total scam, I agree. I really do think in the back of their minds, they might be "enjoying" this, because I can definitely see this terrible event being their impetus in the public eye to contract minor league teams, which is of course what they've been pushing towards as of late.

You limit the draft, you limit the players an organization has to pay and thus, limit the roster space for minor league teams. You then don't need as many minor league teams so it kind of worked out well in a twisted sort of way. Now granted, I firmly believe that 40 rounds is way too many and the draft should be closer to 20 or so (that's a different discussion entirely), but nonetheless MLB and their teams can clearly afford to pay these bonuses in their normal two split way of upon signing and in March the following year.

That's a little tinfoil-hatty, but oh well.

#94 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

Well this does stop teams from buying UDFA because they have the money(like LA and NY for example)

I don’t get why the bonus money is going to take 2 years to pay out but whatever.

I just want to make sure there is a draft and the Os can add some elite guys to the system.

Sure, it's definitely equitable among all the 30 teams. O's should still be able to get talent in those 5 rounds - just may be more of a guessing game than in the past with what was effectively no junior season for college players and no senior season for high schoolers.

I'm more taking the high school and college kids' side on this argument angle. 

#95 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

It's a total scam, I agree. I really do think in the back of their minds, they might be "enjoying" this, because I can definitely see this terrible event being their impetus in the public eye to contract minor league teams, which is of course what they've been pushing towards as of late.

You limit the draft, you limit the players an organization has to pay and thus, limit the roster space for minor league teams. You then don't need as many minor league teams so it kind of worked out well in a twisted sort of way. Now granted, I firmly believe that 40 rounds is way too many and the draft should be closer to 20 or so (that's a different discussion entirely), but nonetheless MLB and their teams can clearly afford to pay these bonuses in their normal two split way of upon signing and in March the following year.

That's a little tinfoil-hatty, but oh well.

I think you are on to something, maybe the MLB owners conspired with China to create Covid-19? :).  No I agree, this is total BS, these guys can afford this and it is all just pure greed, and honestly, this puts the owners in the same realm of disgust that I hold for those people out their on EBay right now peddling Lysol wipes and spray for hundreds of dollars.  Pure scum.  

#96 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

Saw that they can limit next years draft to 20 rounds as well.

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

I don’t get why you would limit next year?

Unless the plan for the new CBA is to do that anyway (which I don’t think is a bad idea but it does go along with the idea of them wanting to get rid of MiL teams).

#98 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

I don’t get why you would limit next year?

Unless the plan for the new CBA is to do that anyway (which I don’t think is a bad idea but it does go along with the idea of them wanting to get rid of MiL teams).

I think you have their reasoning - because MLB's end-goal is get rid of minor league players and minor league teams and the expenses that come with the current amount. 

#99 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

I think you have their reasoning - because MLB's end-goal is get rid of minor league players and minor league teams and the expenses that come with the current amount. 

I actually think they should get rid of some of the minor league teams.

I think there are too many.

I’m not looking at it from the “we are greedy” perspective they are but more of a, there are just too many perspective.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#100 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

I actually think they should get rid of some of the minor league teams.

I think there are too many.

I’m not looking at it from the “we are greedy” perspective they are but more of a, there are just too many perspective.

I guess I don't understand where the crisis is that necessitates a change that is clearly going to create other issues.

Seems like there's more downside than upside.  You're already in a competition for the heart of a fan (fanbase in general), why do something that reduces interest anywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=