338 replies to this topic

#161 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 09:15 AM

Agree with Chris.  I don't know what else you wanna see from Stowers.  He hits lefties.  He's been remarkably consistent (900/850/910/890 monthly).   Defense is fine by all accounts.

Manipulating service is the only other thing that makes much sense anymore.  I don't think you need to do that with him.  Also you would be getting 3 months (August/Sep/April) of play if calling him up and only 6 months (all of 2030) if you delay.  I'm in favor of manipulating when you're talking about 2-3 weeks versus a full year, but he's ready now and you could get significant run out of him in 2022 that could help you and help him.

I won't complain (at least not much) if he's up a week from now vice today or two weeks ago.  But I don't get it and if he's not up at all (and would surely be held back to begin 2023 in that case) I will complain about that.  That's pushing roster manipulation too far.

#162 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 09:47 AM

I’m still not clear where he’s supposed to play. Santander is the team’s best hitter not named Adley right now. Hays was the team’s best hitter 2 months ago and should play everyday. Either could be trade bait in the off-season so they have to remain starters. He’s not really a CF, and there’s 3 CF on the roster anyway.

Can you shuffle those OF spots and DH enough to get Stowers close to every day ABs? Maybe, but not if you want Adley to DH some, and you want Vavra to play while also inexplicably letting Odor play every day.

If you’re calling someone up to sit and be 5th OF I’m fine it’s Diaz. I’d like Stowers to play almost every day, preferably in Baltimore now, but there’s a jam. Really surprised Santander is still here and Odor to a lesser extent.

#163 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

I’m still not clear where he’s supposed to play. Santander is the team’s best hitter not named Adley right now. Hays was the team’s best hitter 2 months ago and should play everyday. Either could be trade bait in the off-season so they have to remain starters. He’s not really a CF, and there’s 3 CF on the roster anyway.

Can you shuffle those OF spots and DH enough to get Stowers close to every day ABs? Maybe, but not if you want Adley to DH some, and you want Vavra to play while also inexplicably letting Odor play every day.

If you’re calling someone up to sit and be 5th OF I’m fine it’s Diaz. I’d like Stowers to play almost every day, preferably in Baltimore now, but there’s a jam. Really surprised Santander is still here and Odor to a lesser extent.

Santander DH. 

Stowers RF. 

• Mackus likes this

#164 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:11 AM

Santander DH. 

Stowers RF. 

I think that makes the most sense, but I think we may see Hyde rotating the DH spot basically using all the outfielders.

@mikeghg

#165 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:17 AM

I think that makes the most sense, but I think we may see Hyde rotating the DH spot basically using all the outfielders.

Sure, that flexibility exists and would make sense to use. 

#166 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:42 AM

Santander DH.
Stowers RF.

Agree, though that’s less Vavra, or less Adley at DH. Not ideal either.

But Diaz was just optioned for Phillips so he wasn’t brought up to play anyway.

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:44 AM

I can relax now, that we have Brett Phillips on the roster.  

@mikeghg

#168 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:45 AM

Phillips was once traded for Jorge Lopez. Circle of life.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#169 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:50 AM

I think one of McKenna/Phillips, most likely McKenna, will make way for Stowers as soon as Friday.

#170 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:58 PM

I think one of McKenna/Phillips, most likely McKenna, will make way for Stowers as soon as Friday.

Should be Phillips. No idea why he is here. We shouldn't be giving 28 year old players with no future ABs here.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#171 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:53 PM

I gotta think Phillips is only here because they almost had a deal to trade one of the OF, and wanted him for insurance, but then the trade  fell through and now they're stuck with him. Still, it's borderline malpractice that he his up instead of Stowers.

• Mike B likes this

#172 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:56 PM

We shouldn't be giving 28 year old players with no future ABs here.

Rougned Odor would like a word.

• DuffMan likes this

#173 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:57 PM

Rougned Odor would like a word.

Yup. Vavra should play 2B moving forward.

#174 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 07:50 PM

18th HR tonight

#175 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:51 PM

18th HR tonight

No room for him.  We got Phillips

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#176 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 August 2022 - 06:20 AM

https://www.masnspor...-chase-and-more

“Stowers is somebody that’s a top-10 prospect for us. We got him that little taste in Toronto. He’s having a really good year in Triple-A. Is he 100 percent ready? I don’t know, but he’s certainly somebody that we are getting into the mode where we have daily discussions about bringing him up, and it could happen at any time.”

I don't know how Elias can say he's not sure if he's 100 percent ready.  It's August now, what more does he have to do?

#177 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 07:09 AM

https://www.masnspor...-chase-and-more

I don't know how Elias can say he's not sure if he's 100 percent ready.  It's August now, what more does he have to do?

That whole article was wishy-washy.  Like most GM's, Elias is really good at using a lot of words to say nothing.  

The alarming thing to me is that Hall has seemingly hit a wall.  

I do give him credit for flying to Houston to talk to the players.  

@mikeghg

#178 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:08 AM

Stowers isn’t ready. But Odor and Phillips are.

#179 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:08 AM

That whole article was wishy-washy. Like most GM's, Elias is really good at using a lot of words to say nothing.
The alarming thing to me is that Hall has seemingly hit a wall.
I do give him credit for flying to Houston to talk to the players.

It was an apology/save face tour. I don’t understand giving him credit for doing the bare minimum.

#180 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:17 AM

Stowers isn't ready but Diaz was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=