#181 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:17 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to show up in person to tell you that I doubt you're good enough to make the playoffs. I got charts and stuff if you want to take a look. We good?
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#182 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:18 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to show up in person to tell you I doubt you're good enough to make the playoffs. I got charts and stuff if you want to take a look. We good?

But also, I still want you to make the playoffs, don’t get me wrong. I want that for you. And the reason you know I want that for you is because I’ve given you Brett Phillips.
  • mweb08 likes this

#183 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:29 AM

Stowers isn't ready but Diaz was.

Diaz was ready in the sense that he was already on the 40-man roster and he was traveling with the team.  In terms of baseball ability, not so much.

#184 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:30 AM

Diaz was ready in the sense that he was already on the 40-man roster and he was traveling with the team. In terms of baseball ability, not so much.

No he wasn’t. He had to fly to Texas when he got the call. He was in Virginia.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#185 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:34 AM

It was an apology/save face tour. I don’t understand giving him credit for doing the bare minimum.

I am sure the players are pissed at the genius GM.  He basically told them they were not good enough and then traded 2 key players.  The easy thing would have been to stay in Baltimore and give the players time to cool down.  He went and faced the music, which means something to me.

Now, if we miss the playoffs by a few games, our genius is going to look awfully stupid.

@mikeghg

#186 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:35 AM

Yeah screwing your players then “manning up” and talking to them about it does nothing for me.

#187 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:43 PM

Diaz was ready in the sense that he was already on the 40-man roster and he was traveling with the team. In terms of baseball ability, not so much.

Elias also said yesterday that Diaz “hasn’t really graduated from AAA”.

#188 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:45 PM

Elias also said yesterday that Diaz “hasn’t really graduated from AAA”.

Based on his performance, I think that is fair.

Stowers must be going for his Masters.

• You Play to Win the Game, BaltBird 24 and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#189 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:46 PM

No he wasn’t. He had to fly to Texas when he got the call. He was in Virginia.

Whoops, I must have read that wrong somewhere.  I'm not sure what was going on then - maybe just the 40-man issue.

#190 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

The interesting thing is Hyde constantly bemoans the lack of left handers but yet Stowers is still in AAA.  I am not sure Phillips qualifies as a LH bat.  :-P

@mikeghg

#191 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:51 PM

Whoops, I must have read that wrong somewhere.  I'm not sure what was going on then - maybe just the 40-man issue.

I may be the source for that bad info.  I wondered if Diaz was on the taxi and that was the reason for his call up.  He was in Norfolk shopping when he got the call.  I put 2 and 2 together and got 6.

@mikeghg

#192 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:00 PM

I think it's the 40-man thing - which is definitely the most important thing this close to a playoff berth.

But yeah, I think Mike B and some of us were joking around the other night that maybe Diaz was traveling with the team which is why he got the call over Stowers. So that's probably where you saw it. 

#193 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

“Stowers is somebody that’s a top-10 prospect for us. We got him that little taste in Toronto. He’s having a really good year in Triple-A. Is he 100 percent ready? I don’t know, but he’s certainly somebody that we are getting into the mode where we have daily discussions about bringing him up, and it could happen at any time.”

WTF is that? What are they waiting to see out of him that they revisit the topic every single day? Are they waiting for him to hit for the cycle? Is 3-HR in one game his golden ticket to the bigs?

#194 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:21 PM

WTF is that? What are they waiting to see out of him that they revisit the topic every single day? Are they waiting for him to hit for the cycle? Is 3-HR in one game his golden ticket to the bigs?

https://www.milb.com...ab=,game=666278

#195 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:25 PM

I think the conversations go like this.

Hyde;  Can I have Stowers?:  

Elias:  Nope

Hyde  How about Westburg?

Elias:  Nope

Hyde:  Gunnar?

Elias:  Yes....but not until Next May

• You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and Mike in STL like this
@mikeghg

#196 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:31 AM

Is Don Baylor the last guy to have this good of a season and not get a call up? Still a while left for Stowers to get the call, but really expected him up as soon as either Trey or Santander we're dealt. I can't see any other boxes left for him to check and there is room and need for him on the MLB roster.
  • Mike B likes this

#197 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:44 AM

Absolutely. But the entire offense is hot right now. There is no one in need of a demotion or losing playing time. It's a good problem to have, but it sucks to have a guy mashing AAA and not getting the call-up.

If this had been any other year he'd have been up for months. Just hard to find a spot for him now, especially since he needs to play every day.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#198 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:48 AM

Daily discussions.

#199 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

Absolutely. But the entire offense is hot right now. There is no one in need of a demotion or losing playing time.

https://www.espn.com...ayer/_/id/33822

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#200 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:00 PM

At this point they should bring up Stowers. He has nothing left to prove. Move off Phillips or Nevin. Plenty of at bats to get the rest of the guys time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=