337 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:55 PM

I know lots of us don't like Keith Law, but projecting an actual MLB career for a guy who began the year as a 23 y/o at A+ is a pretty favorable projection.  No season in 2020 is throwing off the age-to-level assessments for this year, but I don't view Law's comment as some major slight.

• BobPhelan likes this

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:58 PM

I know lots of us don't like Keith Law, but projecting an actual MLB career for a guy who began the year as a 23 y/o at A+ is a pretty favorable projection. No season in 2020 is throwing off the age-to-level assessments for this year, but I don't view Law's comment as some major slight.

Oh I completely agree, like I said I think that’s a completely justifiable projection, but I have my own issues with Law’s evaluations and it isn’t that he hates the Orioles.

#23 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:02 PM

No season in 2020 is throwing off the age-to-level assessments for this year....

This can't be understated IMO. Minor league comparisons are tough right now.

I know lots of us don't like Keith Law, but projecting an actual MLB career for a guy who began the year as a 23 y/o at A+ is a pretty favorable projection.  ... I don't view Law's comment as some major slight.

I mostly agree, and I know this is just a chat, but it would be nice to have some basis for the opinion. Obviously production isn't everything, but he's performing comparably to the #1 prospect in baseball on the same team at the same age. If he's "Seen him a bunch" this year and sees something lacking, I'd be curious. If he's "Seen him a bunch" in 2019, I don't care that much.

• BobPhelan likes this

#24 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:42 PM

By the way, during the same chat, Law gave a very poor answer to a 'favorite restaurants in Rehoboth/Dewey Beach' question, so maybe some of his other opinions were just as bad.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:17 PM

By the way, during the same chat, Law gave a very poor answer to a 'favorite restaurants in Rehoboth/Dewey Beach' question, so maybe some of his other opinions were just as bad.

What did he say?

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

What did he say?

He said there were no good restaurants - it was all Grotto and Thrashers.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:01 PM

He said there were no good restaurants - it was all Grotto and Thrashers.

First off, Thrashers is great. There's of course plenty more restaurants and many that are good down at the beach, but from following him, I know he goes to some of the best places in the country, so by that standard, sure the beach comes up short.

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:15 AM

I know he's already moved up one level this year, but if he's already 23 any chance they move him up to Norfolk for the month of September?

#29 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:01 AM

I know he's already moved up one level this year, but if he's already 23 any chance they move him up to Norfolk for the month of September?

I could see it. AAA goes two weeks longer than the other leagues and if McKenna comes back up with expanded rosters there would be a spot for him in the OF alongside Diaz and Neustrom.
  • DuffMan likes this

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:02 AM

Anyone else have a chance to make their big league debut in Sept? Particularly any position players?

#31 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:22 AM

Anyone else have a chance to make their big league debut in Sept? Particularly any position players?

Baumann or Bannon may be possible? Both are already on the 40 man.

Or maybe we just see some random relievers like Manny Barreda or Claudio Custodio who pitch in 1 game and then are DFAd.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:31 AM

Or maybe we just see some random relievers like Manny Barreda or Claudio Custodio who pitch in 1 game and then are DFAd.

Good point about the 40 man. Unlikely they add anyone to it to play in Sept. Though they could. Tons of DFA options.

#33 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:11 PM

My thoughts exactly.

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 September 2021 - 12:13 AM

Promoted to AAA Norfolk
  • DuffMan likes this

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

Pretty impressive that he matched or improved his production when he moved up to AA.  Will be good to see 20 some games from him at AAA heading into next year.  Big concern has to be strikeouts at nearly 30%.  That's a lot even if he were currently at MLB. It's a definite red flag in terms of wondering if he'll be able to sustain his production against better and better pitchers when he already strikes out that much against lower pitchers with less stuff.

• BobPhelan and makoman like this

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:45 AM

Def fair to say they've been aggressive with promotions. Earned as well. Numerous position players on the cusp of getting the call. Next year should be more exciting because of that alone.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:37 AM

Pretty impressive that he matched or improved his production when he moved up to AA. Will be good to see 20 some games from him at AAA heading into next year. Big concern has to be strikeouts at nearly 30%. That's a lot even if he were currently at MLB. It's a definite red flag in terms of wondering if he'll be able to sustain his production against better and better pitchers when he already strikes out that much against lower pitchers with less stuff.

I actually think it’s intentional, whether it’s the right call or not remains to be seen. His strikeouts are up but so are his walks. When we talked to Bowie hitting coach Ryan Fuller they’re teaching guys to be more selective on swinging at pitches in their zone and making sure they’re always giving their A swing. Focusing on damage over contact.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:45 AM

I actually think it’s intentional, whether it’s the right call or not remains to be scene. His strikeouts are up but so are his walks. When we talked to Bowie hitting coach Ryan Fuller they’re teaching guys to be more selective on swinging at pitches in their zone and making sure they’re always giving their A swing. Focusing on damage over contact.

I'm fine with considering strikeouts to be just any other out.  But 30% is a really high rate.  Once you're at MLB I don't care how you produce as long as you do.  But even with the explosion of strikeout rate across MLB, I haven't gotten out of the mindset that a high K-rate is a red flag for a minor leaguer.  Some guys will be fine as they move up, others will have their flaws accentuated by better pitchers and never make it because of that.  Hopefully Stowers is the former, in his favor is his high walk rate, he's not a guy who just Ks without ever drawing walks to balance them out a bit.

• BobPhelan likes this

#39 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:13 PM

I told you, it’s Manny Barreda time!

#40 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:43 AM

2 homers in 2 days after a slow start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users