#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Inside MD Sports: Cassel ruled ineligible
http://maryland.247s...neligible-90139

Always something. You take 1 step forward, start to get excited, take a step back. Take another step forward, take another step back.

Frustrating.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I hear ya Chris. This is a bummer. I was, and still am excited for this season, but truth be told, I'm not ready to go crazy with expectations until another year or two once Turg has a full roster of his guys. This sucks though.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Sucks....but was he really going to have that huge of a role this season?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sucks....but was he really going to have that huge of a role this season?

Huge? No. Important? I think so.

Without him, the Terrapin guards for '12-'13 looks like:
Guards: Faust (Soph) Howard (Jr), Aronhalt (Sr), Allen (Freshman)

Howard is the closest thing to a true lead guard, but his health remains a bit of question. Both Allen, and Cassel are seen as combo guards, with some PG ability. Cassell's outside shooting would have been utilized this year.

Things will obviously look better at the Guard/Wing position if Wells gains immediate (and unexpected) eligibility.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

If Wells is unexpectedly granted eligibility this season, then yeah, that definitely helps.

Twitter is abuzz about this, with speculation that other players who went to Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) will be ruled ineligible.

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

If Wells is unexpectedly granted eligibility this season, then yeah, that definitely helps.

Twitter is abuzz about this, with speculation that other players who went to Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) will be ruled ineligible.

Xavier is having a similar issue with our recruit Myles Davis. Also went there.

I'm tired if all these prep schools. Half the time they dont even do anything.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Xavier is having a similar issue with our recruit Myles Davis. Also went there.

I'm tired if all these prep schools. Half the time they dont even do anything.

Yeah, while I know it's become far more oriented to athletics now, I thought the whole purpose of prep schools was still to ensure the students were prepared (i.e. eligible) for college.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, while I know it's become far more oriented to athletics now, I thought the whole purpose of prep schools was still to ensure the students were prepared (i.e. eligible) for college.

Just like colleges are supposed to offer an advanced education, not simply act as a free, organized, minor-league system for the professional leagues.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

They are....I just don't get how they don't.

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Inside MD Sports: Cassel ruled ineligible
http://maryland.247s...neligible-90139

Always something. You take 1 step forward, start to get excited, take a step back. Take another step forward, take another step back.

Frustrating.

From that article:

But he’s also exploring the possibility of moving on to a school -- potentially one competing in the Atlantic 10 -- that accepts players under NCAA Proposition 48, which allows partial qualifiers to enroll immediately and begin competing during their second season.

Wells for Cassell Jr swap? :D

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

This is a pretty big bummer, especially for this season. I think Turgeon may end up being able to do better than Cassell with the scholarship in the future, though, so may not be a total loss.

Also, if MD can get that petition granted, having Wells for this year is an upgrade over Cassell, IMO.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

This is a pretty big bummer, especially for this season. I think Turgeon may end up being able to do better than Cassell with the scholarship in the future, though, so may not be a total loss.

Also, if MD can get that petition granted, having Wells for this year is an upgrade over Cassell, IMO.

For this year, there is an awful lot of pressure now on Howard to be ready to play, and produce.

Do agree that the Terps might be able to obtain a better player overall than Cassell going forward.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

More on this story:

Here's the situation: Davis and Cassell both had classes they took in the 2011-12 school year invalidated by the NCAA largely because the NCAA put the Fitchburg, Mass., school on the "Watch List." By the time Davis was notified by the NCAA that the school was under review, which Davis' father told CBSSports.com was last winter, it was too late to take any other classes to replace the ones invalidated by the NCAA because Davis was already in his fifth year.

"I can't figure it all out," said Sam Davis, Myles' father. "It doesn't make any sense."

"When the classes were taken," he added. "Notre Dame Prep wasn't on any list. It's just not fair."

Davis had four core classes tossed out by the NCAA that he took his senior season: Novel and film, Biology 12, English 12 and 20th Century. Eight of his teammates who attended the exact same classes that year were deemed qualifiers and played last season: Todd Mayo (Marquette), Angel Nunez (Louisville), Khem Birch (Pittsburgh -- now at UNLV), Grandy Glaze (Saint Louis), Zarko Valijarevic (Maine), Luka Radovic (South Carolina State), Devon McMillan (Fordham) and Jeff Short (Fordham).

"They should have grandfathered the rule," Sam Davis said.

Davis wasn't just ruled ineligible to play, either. According to the NCAA, he isn't allowed to practice with the team or receive aid -- unlike the ruling the NCAA gave Providence freshman Ricky Ledo, who attended four schools -- one of which was Notre Dame Prep.

http://www.cbssports... ... sells-kid-

While this story is more about Xavier's Myles Davis, it applies to Sam Cassell Jr. (And on a Xavier note, this is a huge blow because right now, I have more fingers than Xavier has scholarship players for this season.)

The NCAA is a joke.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Davis had four core classes tossed out by the NCAA that he took his senior season: Novel and film, Biology 12, English 12 and 20th Century. Eight of his teammates who attended the exact same classes that year were deemed qualifiers and played last season: Todd Mayo (Marquette), Angel Nunez (Louisville), Khem Birch (Pittsburgh -- now at UNLV), Grandy Glaze (Saint Louis), Zarko Valijarevic (Maine), Luka Radovic (South Carolina State), Devon McMillan (Fordham) and Jeff Short (Fordham).

"They should have grandfathered the rule," Sam Davis said.

This is really irritating to read. The idea that you have qualified players previously who have taken the same classes, and now have changed the rules is unfortunate all away around. I don't see how that is fair to these kids at all.

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

This is really irritating to read. The idea that you have qualified players previously who have taken the same classes, and now have changed the rules is unfortunate all away around. I don't see how that is fair to these kids at all.

It's not at all..Honestly if Myles/Sam took classes that the NCAA deemed "not fit" or whatever they call it, fine. I can accept that. But to see them allow players who took those classes to play DI, but then not let others who were a year behind not play, is ridiculous.

I hope the Davis and the Cassell family try to sue the NCAA. They probably won't win, but maybe it'll further enlighten the country as to how picky-choosy the organization is.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

How does the NCAA go about validating or invalidating certain courses at high schools and prep schools? They really can't be evaluating the teachers and syllabus from every class in the country, can they?

#17 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

This whole situation is just another example of how the NCAA is a complete and utter joke as an organization.
@brobey1

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

This whole situation is just another example of how the NCAA is a complete and utter joke as an organization.

Yup...they are as corrupt an organization as there is and they come down on schools? Lol

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hurts. I expected Casell to give us some instant offense off the bench this year.

#20 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

It seems like a bunch of crap to be honest. From what I read, others from Notre Dame prep who took the same classes have not been ruled this way but the ones coming out now are. How does that work?
@Langley486

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=